Archived Compliance warning for 3 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were scheduled for 6 hours at my store (the # of hours to hit compliance) you would take a meal, so I don't see why this is an issue. Otherwise the closest shift was 5.50 hours, giving 30 minutes to get out of there (plenty).

If your store tells you NOT to take a Meal for a 6 hour shift, then you better communicate with the LOD that you'll need to leave at least 15 minutes early so you don't hit compliance. I've never seen an LOD tell someone to not take a meal for a 6 hour shift though. Honestly I've never seen that many 6 hour shifts scheduled, usually 6.50 hours or more.
It sounded like he was being scheduled for exactly 5 hours with no meal break.

It sounded like he was being scheduled for exactly 5 hours with no meal break.

Unless he says something different I doubt that is the case. I would have asked someone before I hit 5 hours anyway.

Unless he says something different I doubt that is the case. I would have asked someone before I hit 5 hours anyway.
They do it to our cashiers all the time. I just give them the option of taking the lunch or leaving 10 minutes early. Most of them choose to leave early.

They do it to our cashiers all the time. I just give them the option of taking the lunch or leaving 10 minutes early. Most of them choose to leave early.

It was drilled into us enough at orientation that we need to take responsibility for our own compliance. Regardless if I get scheduled exactly 6 (or 5 in some states) hours, I will make sure I don't hit compliance, that means asking the GSTL/LOD for a plan. Waiting to see what happens is a bad idea.

I won't feel sorry for someone who got coached for compliance, regardless of reason. Yes it's happened to me too (only twice in almost 5 years), but I owned up to it.

Having good communication skills is vital to making it in the workplace.

They wouldn't let us skip lunches & leave early because a) we needed the overlap in our area & b) working without taking a lunch & clocking out a few minutes early adds to the payroll unless you leave 30 minutes early.

It was drilled into us enough at orientation that we need to take responsibility for our own compliance. Regardless if I get scheduled exactly 6 (or 5 in some states) hours, I will make sure I don't hit compliance, that means asking the GSTL/LOD for a plan. Waiting to see what happens is a bad idea.

I won't feel sorry for someone who got coached for compliance, regardless of reason. Yes it's happened to me too (only twice in almost 5 years), but I owned up to it.

Having good communication skills is vital to making it in the workplace.

I agree. If it's a cashier, it's on both them and the GSA/GSTL to make sure they don't hit compliance. And we usually don't have any issues.

I almost hit compliance once...and that was because I was asked to by my srgstl. The etl stepped in at the last minute, but of course I was still the one who ended up in trouble. Whatever.

My store works around this by scheduling shifts for 5.75 hours. My state is 6 hours before a TM hits compliance. Only folks that get longer shifts are TLs and above. So, even if you punch in 5 minutes early, you've got another 9 minutes of wiggle room.

However, I agree. You know when you will hit compliance, so keep an eye on your watch (or phone) and if need be, set an alarm.

I thought it was after your sixth hour, not your fifth?
The 6 hour mark is when we hit compliance at my store (I'm in NY). They encourage us to go at the 5th hour to avoid compliance, and have started having the two HR TM's call out team members over the walkie to go on their 45. Not gonna lie, I came super close to hitting compliance after being there nearly a year the other day. I was helping pull 4+ hour caff and all but ran up and clocked out with 3 minutes to spare WHEW

It's pretty shitty of them to schedule shifts that are exactly the length of time as it takes to hit meal compliance.
I ask to leave 10 minutes early for shifts like that. My LODs never have a problem with it

I agree. If it's a cashier, it's on both them and the GSA/GSTL to make sure they don't hit compliance. And we usually don't have any issues.

I almost hit compliance once...and that was because I was asked to by my srgstl. The etl stepped in at the last minute, but of course I was still the one who ended up in trouble. Whatever.

Yeah. I've only ever had one cashier hit compliance, but that was because my opening GSA marked her off as having been on her meal, but didn't send her... My LOD blamed me for it, at least till I explained it to her but she still said that I should have checked with everyone I'm in charge of at the start of my shift as to what breaks they have been on; Like you seriously expect me to ask the 10 cashiers, SB, FA, and CA's what breaks they've all been on? Isn't that what we have a break schedule for? Just teach the opener how to properly send people on their breaks and all will be well.

So yeah, both TM and TL (or whoever is in charge of you at the time) needs to keep and eye out and make sure that nobody hits compliance. Compliance ain't no joke.

The pda used to warn me when a cashier was approaching their meal compliance.

At my store, the ETL-HR said it's an automatic term if you don't take your lunch or clock out before 5 hours. She said she hates it because most of the time, it's the hard workers who get dinged because they forget the time, while it's the clock-watchers who never forgets.

It's a most stupid way of dealing with "lunch."

Spot, feel free to PM me for suggestions about how to improve that "system."

;)

Simple solution to compliance: Don't clock out for lunch if you're past your 5/6 hours. I clock in for lunch 31 minutes after when I was supposed to have gone and then continue my break for however many minutes over compliance I went. At the end of the day, do a punch correction for Start Meal at the appropriate time.

It's almost certainly illegal and no leader will ever tell you to do it, but they'd rather be ignorant of the practice than deal with meal compliance violations.

Time clock fraud will get you fired faster than going into compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back