Archived Compost Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureZero

Rec Spec
So I have seen this stated many times on destroy MIR's for a while now and have often wondered what is a compost store?
Do the food items go into one large bin to be picked up? Does it go into a pile outside somewhere to decompose?!?!?
I do see that if the destroy MIR is for a recall food item that it can't go into the compost that it must go into the compactor.
Would someone please enlighten me? Thanks.:D

Is this something specific to PFresh or Supers? I routinely process MIRs for our Receiver and I've never seen that disposition before.

So I have seen this stated many times on destroy MIR's for a while now and have often wondered what is a compost store?
Do the food items go into one large bin to be picked up? Does it go into a pile outside somewhere to decompose?!?!?
I do see that if the destroy MIR is for a recall food item that it can't go into the compost that it must go into the compactor.
Would someone please enlighten me? Thanks.:D

There are two districts in my state (I'm in California, FYI) that are in the test phase of doing compost.

In regards to MIR, if it's recalled food/drink items, they have to go to the compactor -- they can't be mixed in with the compost -- health/safety issues.

As to what goes into the process of composting? A lot of work...

Any food/drink items that were either QMOS or Chargeback/Defective are set aside in tubs/carts (before they would just go straight to the compactor -- not any more). Then those items have to be separated. Liquids get poured down the drain (either in the ambient room or in the janitor's closet -- at my store, both have an actual floor location so you don't have to go to a sink to empty). The empty containers are recycled. Food items go into a compost bin (that have a compost bag in it) after it is depackaged. If the container that held the food can be recycled, it goes into a recycling bin. Anything that can't be composted or recycled goes into the trash bin.

At the end of the day (or whenever the compost bins get full), the compost is taken outside (usually by a cart attendant and a Market TM) to a compost dumpster and tossed in there. The said dumpster is locked up. The compost is taken away twice a week, if I remember correctly. If the dumpster is full, the store calls to get the compost picked up. Where it goes when it gets picked up I'm not really sure.

Any food/drink items that were either QMOS or Chargeback/Defective are set aside in tubs/carts (before they would just go straight to the compactor --

Does this take into account food bank and pet donations? I'm liking what I hear as long as we still give to those guys. My receiving bay has always been anti-waste, so I would really like to see this catch on.

Any food/drink items that were either QMOS or Chargeback/Defective are set aside in tubs/carts (before they would just go straight to the compactor --

Does this take into account food bank and pet donations? I'm liking what I hear as long as we still give to those guys. My receiving bay has always been anti-waste, so I would really like to see this catch on.

Yes, anything that can be donated is set aside, and that stuff is taken away every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Not only is that a good cause, it saves us the time/trouble of composting!

Yes, anything that can be donated is set aside, and that stuff is taken away every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Not only is that a good cause, it saves us the time/trouble of composting!
not to mention a tax deduction for the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back