Archived Confused about Starbucks Benefits for Team Members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

There has been some confusion in my store about the benefits Team Members get at the Starbucks in our store. Hopefully with your input we can clear up what the benefits are officially.

When I was first hired I was told in my orientation that if we brought our own Starbucks mug we got coffee for 50¢. Once I purchased the refillable cup I took advantage of that maybe once a month. I usually like a sweeter coffee but since the syrups were 50¢ more I would just get the coffee with room and add sugar at the beverage station.

Once I started working at Starbucks I was told by the baristas that the 50¢ refill price was for any beverage. I went along with what they said due to being new, but now that I have been there for awhile I want to know if that is the correct policy.

Also, do baristas get free drinks during their shift?

What is the policy at your store?
Thank you!

The .50 refill is for tea (hot or cold) & coffee (hot or iced) only. Bringing in your own cup/mug gets .10 off your drink.
Goldcard holders (even TMs) get free refills on coffee & tea.
Baristas do not get free drinks during their shifts. Exceptions are samplings prior to a new drink launch.
Our TL used to let us drink 'mistakes' (drink made incorrectly but not touched by guest) until it was discovered that several baristas were 'making mistakes' so they could drink them.
Watch what the others are telling you. There is no honor among thieves & you could find yourself being set up.

Greetings and Salutations.
Sounds like the mistress of espresso has the knowledge you seek.
Thanks redeye.

I was told that the "refill" only applies if you purchase a drink that day??? I have a couple Starbuck's cups that I take and am usually charged regular price for the "first" fill, but if I get another one, I only get charged .50??? I have a gold card too, but was told that it doesn't matter because the Target stores are only allowed to give stars for purchases, they don't do any of the other "perks" for gold card holders (like the free beverages after 12 stars)....our store even has a sign stating they don't "participate" (don't know the exact wording, but that's the gist of it)???

The refill is for a purchase earlier that day & gold card holders are supposed to get their refills free. You should also get .10 knocked off (under coupons>own cup).
The free drinks (reward drinks) can NOT be redeemed through Target but CAN be redeemed at indy Starbucks. All purchases at a Target Starbucks go toward their rewards. I was told that they couldn't make the "free" reward work with our registers but I remember we had a key under "specials" that we used for when guests brought in their postcards for their free drink.

Our store does 50 cent refills for all TM's if they have a cup.

We also routinely give out many free drinks as incentive for RedCards. The strange thing is that we were told we do not have to requisition them. Not sure how that works, but that comes from the STL so...who knows. We make samples to circulate through the team when we have down time and are feeling creative.

We'll do samplings fairly often for the frontlanes (redcard inspiration/TM pat on the back).

We had our closing huddle at Starbucks last night and got to sample 2 different ones. Wow! Those were soooo good!

The refill is for a purchase earlier that day & gold card holders are supposed to get their refills free. You should also get .10 knocked off (under coupons>own cup).
The free drinks (reward drinks) can NOT be redeemed through Target but CAN be redeemed at indy Starbucks. All purchases at a Target Starbucks go toward their rewards. I was told that they couldn't make the "free" reward work with our registers but I remember we had a key under "specials" that we used for when guests brought in their postcards for their free drink.
I'll have to bring this up to the Starbuck's TL because I've been a gold card holder for YEARS (yes, I'm a coffee addict :( ) and I've been paying for all of my refills AND they rarely take off my .10 for the cup....

no no no. There is no such policy on the books. To be safe, do not do anything that doesn't sound right. who knows when AP is watching or if they are following a new/updated policy you are unaware of. Terminable offense -- stealing from company. The only thing you would be able to get away with is partaking in samples that are made for guest sampling, and even then, its only under the condition that you need to taste the product in order to describe it to guests. No full size freebies or shortcuts!

When I first started over there, there was a barista who told me that SBTMs only paid grande price for a venti as this TM was attempting to purchase a venti. I hesitated enough that they said never mind & had someone else ring them up. When I asked the SBTL about it, they said ah, no; not true.
Turns out this barista would try this on all the newbs. For a variety of other reasons, this TM was promoted to guest.

Food and grocery team members used to get free drinks, but then AP put a stop to that. We got free drinks for probably about a year (I don't know how long it was going on before I got there) but they told us that it was being stopped.

Also, we used to give cart attendants free drinks from Food Ave, then everyone started just coming behind my counter and getting cups for free drinks, then AP dropped the hammer on that too.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I asked about the "gold card free refills" and was told that they "have no way to ring it up" so they can't???

The stores in our area just ask you to flash your gold card & we'll do the free refill. Sounds like someone at your store is a stickler.
At the very LEAST, you should only have to pay .50 cents BUT they should also apply ALL appropriate discounts (TM, redcard, own cup).

How about the fountain drinks at Target Cafe? Let's say I bought a drink during lunch. Can I get a refill 3 hours later after work?

How about the fountain drinks at Target Cafe? Let's say I bought a drink during lunch. Can I get a refill 3 hours later after work?

At my store, it's the first fill and then one refill later; I don't really give a damn though, so I don't really count the number of times. I'd get fired if I yelled at guests that come back for a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th refill though.

no no no. There is no such policy on the books. To be safe, do not do anything that doesn't sound right. who knows when AP is watching or if they are following a new/updated policy you are unaware of. Terminable offense -- stealing from company. The only thing you would be able to get away with is partaking in samples that are made for guest sampling, and even then, its only under the condition that you need to taste the product in order to describe it to guests. No full size freebies or shortcuts!

I love that. An updated policy you are unaware of. How convenient for them to not tell someone they want fired about a new policy. And I have to say that even though our store doesn't have a Starbucks, this is all very confusing.

I am a Barista at my store. As it was explained by the Starbucks District Manager to us. We are to follow all SB policies except markouts and tips. We do not get drink markouts daily nore do we get the weekly markouts for Coffee or Tea. We are only allowed to try new drinks over the course of the month before they begin for guests.

My store policy is on duty TM's are not allowed to partake in samples and if they do, they are coached for loafing.

The stores in our area just ask you to flash your gold card & we'll do the free refill. Sounds like someone at your store is a stickler.
At the very LEAST, you should only have to pay .50 cents BUT they should also apply ALL appropriate discounts (TM, redcard, own cup).

I do only get charged 50 cents (less TM discount...I usually use my SB card so I get the star) but they rarely do the own cup discount. I've never had an actual Starbucks "ring up" a refill either, but they said they "have to"??? I think the TM just doesn't know and I'm going to ask the TL the next time I see her....

@tgtcpht - remind them that you should be getting the .10 off for bringing your own cup (coupons>own cup). If not, I'd ask the SBTL. If they're the one not allowing it, I'd ask the ETL. It IS a perk for SB guests, be they TMs or not.

@icedjeff314 - our TL will hold several samplings with different groups of SBTMs so that we 1) learn how the drink is made 2) taste it so we can guide the guests in their selection.
Lately, leadership has us make trays of samples for huddles so TMs can try them out.

@tgtcpht - remind them that you should be getting the .10 off for bringing your own cup (coupons>own cup). If not, I'd ask the SBTL. If they're the one not allowing it, I'd ask the ETL. It IS a perk for SB guests, be they TMs or not.

@icedjeff314 - our TL will hold several samplings with different groups of SBTMs so that we 1) learn how the drink is made 2) taste it so we can guide the guests in their selection.
Lately, leadership has us make trays of samples for huddles so TMs can try them out.

I have enjoyed those samples too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back