Archived Consequences for calling in too often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am plagued by chronic migraines and I called in sick today because this one was so severe I was weak and had blurred vision from how painful it was. The last time I called in was 2 months ago. Everything seemed fine to me but my mom decided I shouldn't have called in so she gave me an angry lecture about how Target will fire me if I call in again, or they will list me as "non-rehireable" if I ever decide to leave. So now I'm worried that maybe my team leaders might really be upset with me and my job is on the line, should I be concerned? Usually if I have a migraine I just take an ibuprofen tough it out and the migraine usually wears off by break time. I really do hate to miss work and regret calling in, but today I just couldn't work. I usually unload the truck...

There are some members of my team that call in like three times a month or are habitually late, and they're still here after 3 years, so I didn't think it was bad that I've called in twice in three months.

What do you think? Please help!

Last edited:
It's illegal for Target to put you on corrective action or discipline you in any way if your absences are medically related. However, you need to get doctor's notes and talk to the TBC Target Benefits Center, there they have a Leaves and Disability department where you can get your absences protected by FMLA Family Medical Leave Act 800-828-5850
I am plagued by chronic migraines and I called in sick today because this one was so severe I was weak and had blurred vision from how painful it was. The last time I called in was 2 months ago. Everything seemed fine to me but my mom decided I shouldn't have called in so she gave me an angry lecture about how Target will fire me if I call in again, or they will list me as "unhireable" if I ever decide to leave. So now I'm worried that maybe my team leaders might really be upset with me and my job is on the line, should I be concerned? Usually if I have a migraine I just take an ibuprofen tough it out and the migraine usually wears off by break time. I really do hate to miss work and regret calling in, but today I just couldn't work. I usually unload the truck...

There are some members of my team that call in like three times a month or are habitually late, and they're still here after 3 years, so I didn't think it was bad that I've called in twice in three months.

What do you think? Please help!

If they give you any counseling about the absences or situation, make sure to ask for clarification on how many days per month/year they consider "acceptable" They will usually give you a verbal coaching once you past the first threshold, and a 1st step corrective action once you past the second threshold. As it pertains to "non-rehireable" status, that should be a long time off from where you are at now if they haven't even talked to you about this issue yet. Unfortunately they can put anyone as "non-rehireable" if they choose to be vindictive for any old reason. If they like you, that won't happen, but if they want to list you that way and end up firing you for absences, etc, they will very likely list you as non-rehireable, but I wouldn't concern yourself about that just yet. You have to have an average hours of 19.5 or more before you can be protected by the FMLA law, are you part time or full time?
It's illegal for Target to put you on corrective action or discipline you in any way if your absences are medically related. However, you need to get doctor's notes and talk to the TBC Target Benefits Center, there they have a Leaves and Disability department where you can get your absences protected by FMLA Family Medical Leave Act 800-828-5850

You'll be fine. Calling in twice in three months is nothing to be worried about. If you were calling in at least once a week, then I would start to be concerned.

This kind of depends on whether you are liked or not by your supervisors and managers, but yes, once or twice in your career probably shouldn't be a problem.
You'll be fine. Calling in twice in three months is nothing to be worried about. If you were calling in at least once a week, then I would start to be concerned.

Your mom is one tough cookie. Did she work for spot?
But Dustbunny is right - twice over 3 mos isn't bad.
There's a lot of my cashiers I wished they'd had moms like yours. Instead, their parents call in FOR them.

I really wouldnt worry one bit... there are people that have been with the company that call out far more often! I still dont understand how these people get to stick around.

You should be fine. If you worked at the store I used to work at management wouldn't even care. I know of people who had multiple no call no shows before getting put on corrective action.

And yet many others are harassed and abused and yelled at for every little imperfection, it's all such a shame that managers and supervisors so often don't care about their employees.
You should be fine. If you worked at the store I used to work at management wouldn't even care. I know of people who had multiple no call no shows before getting put on corrective action.

You'll be fine with Spot.

Most important is to get a handle on the headaches. Have you ever tried Excedrin for Migraines? Works wonders for me! Nothing the dr. ever gave me worked.
If I even get a twinge, I take one to stave it off.

Heading for the bottle right now.....

You should be fine. The way it was explained to me was that attendance is looked at on a rolling 30 days. So if you call out today, it will start a 30 day period and will fall off in 30 days. So twice in two months... the first one probably fell off by the time you called out again

If your TL does a check for understanding then talk to them. I know personally when I notice one of my team members calling in continuously I first look to see if there are patterns for example every pay day Friday etc. If they have had more than 3 call ins in a month I talk to the team member, but when I do its always documented. But then I know some team leads who just simply write anyone up unless they are pressured to by there ETL. I let my team know if I start noticing patterns then they know they will get a talking to. But in your case I would not be worried, but don't ever assume just because other people are getting away with it you will too.

Exactly because without Union protection, supervisors and managers can discriminate against you and if they don't like you they can write you up for 1 absence if they want just because they like to abuse their power.
If your TL does a check for understanding then talk to them. I know personally when I notice one of my team members calling in continuously I first look to see if there are patterns for example every pay day Friday etc. If they have had more than 3 call ins in a month I talk to the team member, but when I do its always documented. But then I know some team leads who just simply write anyone up unless they are pressured to by there ETL. I let my team know if I start noticing patterns then they know they will get a talking to. But in your case I would not be worried, but don't ever assume just because other people are getting away with it you will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back