Archived Consumables/Food TL Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys!

I had a few questions and hoped that someone could help me out.

I recently just started with Target. I literally have a week under my belt with the Company, but I've been in retail my entire life as well as some Retail/Sales Management. I am currently a PFresh Food Assistant, and my ETL-HR came to me today asking me if I would be interesting in a Consumables/Food TL position. I told her I was definitely interested (seeing as I would like to move up the company ladder), and I now I have an interview on Thursday for the position.

I was hoping someone could give me a little insight as to what to expect as far as the job and interview goes. What should I be prepared with? What questions will I be asked? What kind of pay should I expect/ask for? Who will I be interviewing with? What are some of the job duties besides the PFresh FA duties. I also know that I will be in charge of Starbucks and Pizza Hut.

Any info you guys can give me would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Here, you would get $3-$5 more per hour than a regular TM in the dept.
I've also been told that none of our TL's make anywhere near $20 an hour. (So Cal)

Team Leader interviews are basically the same as TM interviews. I don't even know why they'd bother interviewing you again so soon.

What kind of pay should I expect/ask for?

If you tell me how much you make now I can share the pay range for your positon.

For a TL position you generally have to interview with an ETL and STL

Team Leader interviews are basically the same as TM interviews. I don't even know why they'd bother interviewing you again so soon.

ETL-HR said it was because they didn’t ask me any leadership interview questions before. If I had to guess it would be a combination of that and the STL and DTL getting to know me a little better.

Last edited:
Only ones I remember is tell me a time you improved a process? A time you had to do something that you didn't know how to do? How do you motivate your team?

Oh, literally EVERY question that could be asked can be found on glassdoor's website. Over the years, they have all been leaked. It made my interview so incredibly easy, since I had thought of answers for each possible questions. There are probably only about 20 max that they will ask.

Furthermore, you'd really have to mess up if they want you already. Our CTL was told that his interview was terrible, but he got the position anyway since he was already doing it and there was nobody else to interview. He did not study at all. The CTL told me this himself.

Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted anything here.

Here's a quick recap.... Basically, I applied for a TL position when I first applied to Target. I was told there was no TL position available, and they put me in Market. About 2 weeks after being there, I found out there was an open Consumables TL position in my store, my ETL-HR came to me asking me if I was interested this position, told her yes, and she said her and the STL have already kind of talked about it, I would still have to do a TL interview and would probably have to interview with the DTL (just because he has not met me yet)....

Since then, my ETL-HR has kind of taken me under her wing. She did the initial interview (which was the same as my TM interview), and then she brought out the 2nd set of questions that my STL will be asking me. She read through each question with me and went through what a high scope answer would be. After that, we went over my answers for the first two and she helped me figure out the correct things to say and the correct things to go into detail about to help me get a high scope answer... I will be going over the last two questions with her on Monday, and then she said we will run though all of them at once, and then my STL would do the actual interview.

She is saying she is doing this because her and my STL see leadership capabilities in me and she could really see me moving up with Target and she wants to give me the best chance possible to get this position. Is this normal???? Since they are going through all of this trouble prepping me for the interview, is this a good indication that I will be getting the position? I have noticed that it is no longer posted on the webstore for my store.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What do you think @HRZone

Hi Everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted anything here.

Here's a quick recap.... Basically, I applied for a TL position when I first applied to Target. I was told there was no TL position available, and they put me in Market. About 2 weeks after being there, I found out there was an open Consumables TL position in my store, my ETL-HR came to me asking me if I was interested this position, told her yes, and she said her and the STL have already kind of talked about it, I would still have to do a TL interview and would probably have to interview with the DTL (just because he has not met me yet)....

Since then, my ETL-HR has kind of taken me under her wing. She did the initial interview (which was the same as my TM interview), and then she brought out the 2nd set of questions that my STL will be asking me. She read through each question with me and went through what a high scope answer would be. After that, we went over my answers for the first two and she helped me figure out the correct things to say and the correct things to go into detail about to help me get a high scope answer... I will be going over the last two questions with her on Monday, and then she said we will run though all of them at once, and then my STL would do the actual interview.

She is saying she is doing this because her and my STL see leadership capabilities in me and she could really see me moving up with Target and she wants to give me the best chance possible to get this position. Is this normal???? Since they are going through all of this trouble prepping me for the interview, is this a good indication that I will be getting the position? I have noticed that it is no longer posted on the webstore for my store.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What do you think @HRZone
From what you are saying they are definitely considering you very seriously. Do you know if there are any other candidates?

the consumables food tl position isn't very glamorous. you're responsible for 3 departments a couple years ago target felt should have had 3 tl's. Also, starbucks/cafe are a place that the store loves to save hours on. its hard enough to run a green workcenter but worse when you can't staff as needed.

there's a lot to learn about starbucks. i'm still learning things daily. i had a 1 month crash course and 2 months of working nonstop there. they have a separate district manager that checks in to make sure things are to starbucks standard. pleasing them is easy if you can speak sbux to them. they start talking about starbucks terms and you know what it means, know what's coming up etc, they should be happy.

consumables is a full time job. you also have to deal with a lot of vendors to maintain their shelves. best are the cashiers who wring up produce wrong so the system sends you a billion white onions when they are selling yellow.

Food TL is a massive undertaking. Market is a beast in and of itself. When you add to that Starbucks and Cafe, it can be overwhelming. You're in charge of all food safety and depending on how good the team is, it could be very challenging. You'll be bouncing around the whole store trying to follow up with everyone. Our Food TL is a senior TL, that's the only way I would take this position.

Your HR going over the guides with you is a good sign that she really wants you for this position. Now the question you have to ask yourself is if it's because she likes you or is it because she's desperate to fill the position. Take your time ask around how the teams has been doing in terms of talent and their scores on Steritech.

you're responsible for 3 departments a couple years ago target felt should have had 3 tl's.

Food TL is a massive undertaking. Market is a beast in and of itself. When you add to that Starbucks and Cafe, it can be overwhelming.

Asants, it depends on your volume. At org chart 4 and above there is a food service team lead so the CTL only focuses on market.

Is this normal????

Yeah interview prep is very normal. Etl hrs are judged on talent development. Not just at their own store but developing talent for the district to use as well

the consumables food tl position isn't very glamorous. you're responsible for 3 departments a couple years ago target felt should have had 3 tl's. Also, starbucks/cafe are a place that the store loves to save hours on. its hard enough to run a green workcenter but worse when you can't staff as needed.

there's a lot to learn about starbucks. i'm still learning things daily. i had a 1 month crash course and 2 months of working nonstop there. they have a separate district manager that checks in to make sure things are to starbucks standard. pleasing them is easy if you can speak sbux to them. they start talking about starbucks terms and you know what it means, know what's coming up etc, they should be happy.

consumables is a full time job. you also have to deal with a lot of vendors to maintain their shelves. best are the cashiers who wring up produce wrong so the system sends you a billion white onions when they are selling yellow.
Most produce is store ordered :-|

Food TL is a massive undertaking. Market is a beast in and of itself. When you add to that Starbucks and Cafe, it can be overwhelming. You're in charge of all food safety and depending on how good the team is, it could be very challenging. You'll be bouncing around the whole store trying to follow up with everyone. Our Food TL is a senior TL, that's the only way I would take this position.

Your HR going over the guides with you is a good sign that she really wants you for this position. Now the question you have to ask yourself is if it's because she likes you or is it because she's desperate to fill the position. Take your time ask around how the teams has been doing in terms of talent and their scores on Steritech.
I don’t feel like she’s desperate to fill the position because of the amount of time she’s spending with me prepping me for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back