COVID-19 Coronavirus LOA options?

I just checked with my dr and I dont qualify as high risk, but my dad who I live with is. So i probably don't qualify for the vulnerable LOA, is there another type of leave option I could look into, or do I have to just quit? There's a sizable outbreak in my area and with people ignoring the stay at home order to go buy things they dont need, people purposefully coughing on things and joking that it's now contaminated, and Karen's who say but I'm not sick when I ask them to give me space at self checkout, I dont feel safe going into work anymore.

I'm doing an unpaid LOA. I put in for 2 weeks but I'm going to extend it since my kid's school just announced they'll be closed until at least the end of April.

You need to do what's right for you. As for those rude guests who say they don't need to give you space because you're not sick, they don't know that because the disease can be transmitted before symptoms appear. Some people test positive without showing any symptoms at all. Maybe they need some educating - politely, of course, but it'd be to your benefit and everyone else they're around.

Get out and save your dad. My dad had died a year ago in two days from now because of heart issues and stroke. I would have quit my job to save him. Do what best for you and your dad.

Someone help I got a concerning email from pay and benefits center.i was diagnosed with covid and submitted a 30 day paid vulnerable leave..after that was submitted I called my hr and asked if i could go on leave til august.she said I can only go up to 120 days which would be a return of July first.I work at food ave but it’s closed for now due to the outbreak so I asked her when I return can I work on online orders and she said yes and would do the leave paperwork and would call me if she needs anything but did not call.my worry is this..the email I received said my paid leave is ending and after 30 days leave I can return to my assigned job and schedule but if I did up to 120 days they would do their best to reinstate me..my hr said I can do online ordering and never said the loa would be a problem but the email is concerning..am I ok ?? Please someone reply thank you

Someone help I got a concerning email from pay and benefits center.i was diagnosed with covid and submitted a 30 day paid vulnerable leave..after that was submitted I called my hr and asked if i could go on leave til august.she said I can only go up to 120 days which would be a return of July first.I work at food ave but it’s closed for now due to the outbreak so I asked her when I return can I work on online orders and she said yes and would do the leave paperwork and would call me if she needs anything but did not call.my worry is this..the email I received said my paid leave is ending and after 30 days leave I can return to my assigned job and schedule but if I did up to 120 days they would do their best to reinstate me..my hr said I can do online ordering and never said the loa would be a problem but the email is concerning..am I ok ?? Please someone reply thank you
Talk to your hr. You can get schedule to other areas. Paid leave ends in 30 days. 120 days loa is unpaid leave.

Last edited:
You’ll end up having two separate LOAs. One will be your 30 days paid, the other will be unpaid. Watch for another email, but it probably won’t be processed until your first one is complete.

I was in the same boat as you, did an unpaid LOA. Lack of pay sucks, but the potential alternative isn’t worth it. Both my parents are high-risk.

If you caught it and are fully recovered, why are you looking at extending your LOA?

I understood that a high risk reason is 30 days paid, a positive result is 14 days paid, all earned sick/wellness/vacation time can be used And paid, then, when all that paid time is used, you are able to take up to 120 days unpaid Leave time and still have your position saved for you. I assume you would be able to combine/stack all these one at a time, if they all apply.
Also, I didn’t think it has been determined if you are immune if you had and recovered cause I don’t think there is a definite person who is sure they were positive twice.

Has any taken an unpaid LOA and was able to receive unemployment? I got an email from Target benefits that said this...

"If you decide to continue your leave as an unpaid leave, you can choose to use any accrued time you may have, such as vacation, personal holiday or sick time. You may also be eligible for state unemployment benefits if you are on leave due to coronavirus related reasons. You can access usa.gov/unemployment for more information and to be directed to your state’s unemployment web site. Note, while on an unpaid leave of absence, you will be directly billed monthly for benefits, if enrolled."

I've never used unemployment benefits ever so I have no idea.

Has any taken an unpaid LOA and was able to receive unemployment? I got an email from Target benefits that said this...

"If you decide to continue your leave as an unpaid leave, you can choose to use any accrued time you may have, such as vacation, personal holiday or sick time. You may also be eligible for state unemployment benefits if you are on leave due to coronavirus related reasons. You can access usa.gov/unemployment for more information and to be directed to your state’s unemployment web site. Note, while on an unpaid leave of absence, you will be directly billed monthly for benefits, if enrolled."

I've never used unemployment benefits ever so I have no idea.
Oh interesting. Is there a way to use my sick time or vacation time remotely without having to go in and fill out a form?

When my HR lead called, I asked about using sick time. They said to call Target Benefits and Pay hotline. I'm waiting for a call back now. I have 40 hours of sick time so I want to use that.

Back