Archived Corrective Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I was given corrective action by my GSTL. I am a guest service, cross trained GSA/cash room, cashier who has been with target for about 9 months.

I was cashiering and a guest came to my line.... I denied 2 out of about 16 coupons she had because they didn't abide by target's rules. The coupons totaled about 2 dollars and the guest just took them back and said okay. Long story short the guest went to guest service and told the GSTL that i wouldn't take her coupons because she was muslim.....

I am the most liberal person that has probably ever walked into that target in my life and I never said anything to the guest that would be unacceptable. (I didn't even know she was muslim??) How is it okay that they gave me corrective action???

Also I expressed this to my GSTL and she told me if i have a problem with it then go to HR. I'm on the verge of putting in my two weeks because this is ridiculous

I would take her up on it and go to HR.
Explain the situation and say that while you understand that you don't expect that it will take the CA away (it's always best to come across like you are acting in Spots best interest and are not trying to make waves if you want to make waves).
Tell her you followed BEST PRACTICES as you had BEEN TRAINED and you would like further INSTRUCTION so you don't make any mistakes like this in the future.
I enforced the words there because you will want to.
Use them over and over.
Because most of all you will also want to make the point the point that you are not an Islamophobe and you don't want to look like one because you FOLLOWED Spot's rules.
If you are up to it and present it the right way, they will pull the CA.

A perfect example of why I fucking hate targets logic. They take the customers work over the employee's. They don't even take a second to think "Hey, maybe the guest is lieing?" or "Maybe it's a severe over-exaggeration of a problem?". Nope, straight to CCA.

Also you should find out if it was a CA or a coaching (or WTTF they are calling them these days).
Usually a CA involves sitting down with someone and signing something.

Did they have you sign a corrective action? Or did they just talk to you off stage but not sign anything?

Either way bring it up with HR like the GSTL suggested.
Also you should find out if it was a CA or a coaching (or WTTF they are calling them these days).
Usually a CA involves sitting down with someone and signing something.

If you didn't get something to sign, it was a coaching.
The GSTL told me to sign a paper and I refused to sign it. She told me it's still going to happen if I don't sign it and I told her I wouldn't sign the paper because I didn't do anything wrong. Today I'm going to ask the GSTL for a copy of the paper so that I can see exactly what it says on it.

It also happens that the ETL-HR is on vacation...

I'd quit lol
At my store

Target needs me
I don't need target
They'd beg me to stay if I quit hahahaha

Crazy to say but true

If everything is as you say, then this is so wrong in so many ways. I joke that my job title is 'GSTL - AKA Head of Complaints' - and while that may be true I make it a point to act as a filter. I chalk about 80% of them up to BS, and my cashiers/other leadership will only hear of about 20%. This situation sounds like it should have fallen in the 80%...

If everything is as you say, then this is so wrong in so many ways. I joke that my job title is 'GSTL - AKA Head of Complaints' - and while that may be true I make it a point to act as a filter. I chalk about 80% of them up to BS, and my cashiers/other leadership will only hear of about 20%. This situation sounds like it should have fallen in the 80%...

The GSTL told me she knows the guest (I don't know if it's personally or just through target) who claimed I wouldn't take her coupons because she was Muslim. I think this is why the GSTL administrated the corrective action and ignored the fact that I said nothing relevant to her religion.

I'm a 20 year old gay guy with fucking blue colored hair who is completely out of the box.... I literally have a coexist and an equality bumper sticker on my car. I have no idea how this shit can happen to me.

Last edited:
Sounds like a coaching and not a CCA. Coaching a can happen on the spot where a CCA has to go through HR.

Everyone's replaceable.

This is true. We lost a popular tl at my store and people were pretty upset for about a day but the store has gone on. It always does.

Target is setup so that no one person is irreplaceable. Some people can really enhance a store but it usually takes massive change for the wheels to come off like 3 or 4 leaders quitting at once.

CCA's have to go trough your HR ETL. Talk to your HR ETL as soon as he/she returns from vacation. I am glad you didn't sign it!

I'd quit lol
At my store

Target needs me
I don't need target
They'd beg me to stay if I quit hahahaha

Crazy to say but true

Everyone is replaceable. We have lost several TL's at the same time and target life went on. We have lost a couple STL's and ETL's and we did just fine.

This is true. We lost a popular tl at my store and people were pretty upset for about a day but the store has gone on. It always does.

Target is setup so that no one person is irreplaceable. Some people can really enhance a store but it usually takes massive change for the wheels to come off like 3 or 4 leaders quitting at once.
Everyone is replaceable. We have lost several TL's at the same time and target life went on. We have lost a couple STL's and ETL's and we did just fine.
You all literally took the words out my mouth. Everyone and I do mean EVERYONE is replaceable. Whoever thinks they are not is delusional. This is a business at the end of the day and will continue with or without any of us. Such is life.

So today I was given corrective action by my GSTL. I am a guest service, cross trained GSA/cash room, cashier who has been with target for about 9 months.

I was cashiering and a guest came to my line.... I denied 2 out of about 16 coupons she had because they didn't abide by target's rules. The coupons totaled about 2 dollars and the guest just took them back and said okay. Long story short the guest went to guest service and told the GSTL that i wouldn't take her coupons because she was muslim.....

I am the most liberal person that has probably ever walked into that target in my life and I never said anything to the guest that would be unacceptable. (I didn't even know she was muslim??) How is it okay that they gave me corrective action???

Also I expressed this to my GSTL and she told me if i have a problem with it then go to HR. I'm on the verge of putting in my two weeks because this is ridiculous

Welcome to retail, join AP if you want to know just how bad race card pulling can get lol. Corrective action was not warranted if you were following policy. Take their advise and go straight to the ETL-HR. If nothing happens then, give hotline a call and specifically request the complaint go to the HRBP or else it'll just get redirected back to your ETL-HR. Id also get your AP team in the loop to be on the lookout for her. They cant get her with anything criminal but if they can develope a trend they can issue a warning or ban her from the store if she persists. You also have grounds to sue her (the customer) for slander and defamation for making a deliberately false racial accusation to your direct supervisor with the intent of negatively impacting your employment and trashing your character for her own personal gain, but that's if you want to get down and dirty.

Usually there has to be some type of documentation or witness account in order to apply a CA for it to stick. And store management has to sign off on it.

I would definitely bring it up to your ETL and HR if you have one. You have the right to appeal a CA.

The fact that you took 14 coupons out of 16 sounds like you were doing your due diligence in following the coupon policy.

If you can recall the type of coupons and why you denied them will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back