Archived Coupon Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetargetman

I am a Guest once again!
I understand Target's big thing now is "say yes to the guest" I do not dispute that, what I am having trouble with is getting contradictory information from the STL and the GSTL. the STL told us that you let a guest use the full amount for the coupon and let the overage go over to help pay for the rest of the order now the GSTL told me to adjust the coupon so the item is just free. I am very confused.

If it's a coupon for a free item and the coupon states "up to 3.99" but the item is $3.50, I adjust the coupon to $3.50 and write it on the coupon. If it's a manufacturer coupon for $5.00 off but the item is only $4.50 (AND IT IS THE CORRECT ITEM), I leave it at the $5. The reason being, the manufacturer will reimburse us the full $5 for the "$xx OFF" coupon....but the manufacturer will only reimburse Target the price of the item for the free coupon, not the full amount.

Your GSTL and squirrely are right. Target's policy is to adjust the coupon. You're not allowed to use a coupon overage to pay beyond the price of the item. That technically constitutes coupon fraud.

Manufacturer and Target Coupons:
  • No more than one manufacturer coupon, one Target coupon (Target mobile coupons are Target coupons), and one Cartwheel℠ offer can be combined per item (unless prohibited by coupon).
  • We reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon.
  • Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
  • All valid coupons must be presented to the cashier during checkout and have a scannable barcode.
  • Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.).
  • Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
  • We do not give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
  • Guest pays tax on full retail value, including the coupon value, of Manufacturer Coupons. Target coupons reduce the taxable value.
  • These guidelines apply to all coupons accepted at Target (Color Checkout Coupons, Internet Coupons, Mobile Coupons, Mailed Coupons, Coupons from Newspapers and Magazines, etc.).
  • Target coupons aren’t refundable.

if you actually look at best practice for accepting coupons (not our public coupon policy) it states that we are to NOT adjust coupons down.

if you actually look at best practice for accepting coupons (not our public coupon policy) it states that we are to NOT adjust coupons down.

This is correct.

Our Best Practice policy and the coupon policy you see on Target.com give conflicting information when it comes to this issue. So it makes sense why the STL and GSTL are also giving opposing directives.

I tend to go by the coupon policy listed on the website, since that's what guests have access to.

Give the guest exactly what they want, up to and including adjusting prices to zero.

I couldn't disagree with that more. You need to asterisk that with this common sense disclaimer, "Applies to people whom aren't obviously trying to rip you off."

I couldn't disagree with that more. You need to asterisk that with this common sense disclaimer, "Applies to people whom aren't obviously trying to rip you off."

**especially those who are trying to rip you off. AP doesn't care and the LOD would have steam coming out of his ears if called over for a customer who just wanted $30 in free shit

And Oh yeah since you did that transaction where I got $30 free shit, do it five more times I have coupons.

**especially those who are trying to rip you off. AP doesn't care and the LOD would have steam coming out of his ears if called over for a customer who just wanted $30 in free shit

Why would you call an LOD? GSTLs are in charge of that. I only have to call an LOD if they demand someone higher up. I only have to call AP if I think they're pulling a scam. Sometimes guests are aggressive, but I won't call AP if I know they're just being adamant. Haggling over the price of a Patio Umbrella is a lot different than taking bogus coupons. $20 or 20% is the magic number for me. $30 is a lot if they only have $50 worth of stuff. $30 is nothing if they're spending $300+ dollars. I don't know what's so hard about accepting that everything is situational.

Thanks everyone and thanks to anyone who adds helpful information to this thread!

Took this screen shot ages ago. It's off workbench. Coupon for free product should adjust to match cost. Coupon for specific $$ off should be put through. Most proctor&gamble freebie coupons will automatically take off the full "up to"amount and need to be input.

Attachments

• index.jpeg
    index.jpeg
    878.9 KB · Views: 33
This is just another case of the Vibe going rogue. As I said before, when the Vibe was first introduced in late 2012, it had a more guest-focused goal of service that would keep them coming back. For example, a guy came in maybe two years ago asking if we sold the bottle part of a single-serve blender we sold because he didn't get one in the package. To me he seemed genuine, so with LOD permission, I opened up a new one and gave him the bottle and defected the rest of the box out. THIS is what creates loyalty. Dollars to doughnuts, I bet the guy at least told one other person "Wow, I went to Target and they gave me a part I was missing for free!" This was actually an example that was sent out from corp during the roll-out: "If a guest comes back about a missing piece from a crib, open a package, give the piece to them, and defect it out."

Using the Vibe to do anything from giving overage on coupons (as explained above, that IS NOT the policy) to accepting no-return refunds on HBA products with coupons to giving people deep discounts (more than $20) because they found an obviously misplaced item on the wrong shelf is wrong and hurts the company.

If it's a coupon for a free item and the coupon states "up to 3.99" but the item is $3.50, I adjust the coupon to $3.50 and write it on the coupon. If it's a manufacturer coupon for $5.00 off but the item is only $4.50 (AND IT IS THE CORRECT ITEM), I leave it at the $5. The reason being, the manufacturer will reimburse us the full $5 for the "$xx OFF" coupon....but the manufacturer will only reimburse Target the price of the item for the free coupon, not the full amount.
It has to be the same item on the coupon .

yea that is what I always thought. In my opinion the order of what to fallow is fellow tm< GSA<TL<GSTL<ETLs<STL/LOD

I understand Target's big thing now is "say yes to the guest" I do not dispute that, what I am having trouble with is getting contradictory information from the STL and the GSTL. the STL told us that you let a guest use the full amount for the coupon and let the overage go over to help pay for the rest of the order now the GSTL told me to adjust the coupon so the item is just free. I am very confused.
Adjusting the price of the item will put it on a price check report.

Adjusting the price of the item will put it on a price check report.
This is adjusting the coupon deduction, not the item price. Which means if the coupon is good for "up to $6" and scans for $6 but the item is only $5.50 you manually input the manufacturer discount of $5.50.

Will not come up on price check audit.

This is just another case of the Vibe going rogue. As I said before, when the Vibe was first introduced in late 2012, it had a more guest-focused goal of service that would keep them coming back. For example, a guy came in maybe two years ago asking if we sold the bottle part of a single-serve blender we sold because he didn't get one in the package. To me he seemed genuine, so with LOD permission, I opened up a new one and gave him the bottle and defected the rest of the box out. THIS is what creates loyalty. Dollars to doughnuts, I bet the guy at least told one other person "Wow, I went to Target and they gave me a part I was missing for free!" This was actually an example that was sent out from corp during the roll-out: "If a guest comes back about a missing piece from a crib, open a package, give the piece to them, and defect it out."

Using the Vibe to do anything from giving overage on coupons (as explained above, that IS NOT the policy) to accepting no-return refunds on HBA products with coupons to giving people deep discounts (more than $20) because they found an obviously misplaced item on the wrong shelf is wrong and hurts the company.
One of the cashiers came to the store I worked at around christmas because she had a similar issue with a christmas tree. She suggested what you did, ETLs wouldn't let her do it. Had to bring the whole tree back and get another one. Apparently team members aren't good enough for vibe treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back