Archived Covering Hardlines for the first time, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
So, I was hired on as a seasonal cashier and then was decided to be kept on as a regular team member. During my seasonal time, I was globalized to Softlines/ Hardlines but the day that happened, the store was extremely busy and the TM that was showing me how to do everything kept getting called up to the front lanes to cover/ back up guest services. So basically, I was only shown how to push items from the back room and that was all I did for the rest of my shift.
Now, in a few days I will be working hard lines from 10-6 and I pretty scared because I feel like I'm not trained enough to do it with all these questions I have. I've tried to look through the forum (so I wouldn't beat a dead horse) but I still can't find the answers to some of my questions... So any help from you guys would be awesome! Thank you so much :).

Questions:

1. While on my breaks I've noticed TM's who work the sales floor clock on and notify the LOD that they have arrived, so I know that I should do that. But once I do, where am I suppose to go? Do I just pick a block or am I assigned to one?

2. I know that for cashiers, breaks and lunches are already scheduled, is this the same for Hardlines or are we suppose to make our own?

3. I've only zoned a few times before and I feel like I take too long to zone, so Any advice would be much appreciated! (I don't really have much experience with zoning since my GSTL never has me zone girls or accessories)

4. I don't understand what flex means since no one has ever told me. From context though, does it just mean to fill up the holes in the shelves so it looks full and not empty or am I completely off? How do I flex exactly? :/

5. I saw a TM on here mention the call box and answering calls and it has made me pretty nervous. What are most calls about? With someone who has minimal experience on the sales floor be able to answer their questions? D:

6. I read on one of the forums that you have to be trained to pull items from the back room, I'm assuming this means I can't do that, so that means I'd do abandons right? (This might sound really obvious and stupid but I just want to make sure I don't do anything wrong. I'm sorry :() Do I take the abandons from GS or do I just take an empty cart and go to a block and start working there?

I apologize again if my questions may come off sounding ridiculous. I've just only been working at Target for 4 months and have only really been trained as a cashier so I feel completely lost and out of place.. Thank you again to anyone that can help me!

Last edited:
Don't pull stuff from the backroom. Ask a certified back room person to do it.
Here is most of your answers from our guide section.
If you are in hardlines:

Zoning
- Look at every item, working top to bottom (or vice versa) and do it on a per section (usually four feet) basis
- Cover all diamonds
- Turn all labels to face out
- Use grey dots (if you see one, the item in the location might not be correct)
- Don't move strays/foreign/re-shop to the appropriate aisle every time -- use your cart and leave items on the floor until you finish the aisle (some ETLs might not like this, maybe only do it after the store is closed)
- Organize your cart! Example: bottom tier = backstock, middle tier = strays and empty packages, hand basket = defectives, top tier = re-shop for your current department (this should be worked every time you change aisles if the items are within a five-aisle radius)
- Check multiple locations on the same aisle, don't leave holes if you have product on the shelf above/below
- Pegs are easy to zone, just use the grey dots
- You shouldn't need a PDA to tell if a product is in the wrong spot (most of the time the last five numbers are on the bottom left of the label, the assortment number near the UPC will be on the top right of label, and Target brands have DPCIs near the UPCs and sometimes on the front of the package)
- Know the department - zone where it gets shopped more first (if you have time to come back later) or last (if you only have enough time to get to each aisle once) - Example: Toys then Sporting Goods then Toys if you have time to go back
- Check empty endcaps for backroom locations, if none then pull from home, if no product - flex the endcap with like items, starting with d-code or NOP
- Zone clearance, please, just do it
- Remove grey dots in locations that have the correct item
- Always pull more than one item forward (minimum two, typically 3-4) - if everyone does this, the zone is maintained A LOT longer while being shopped
- Inventory control clips (round rubber things) on pegs should be pulled forward if there are few items on the peg - this greatly improves the look of a peg-heavy aisle

Returns/Re-shop/Strays
- If at all possible, get a PDA
- If you have a PDA, use RF Apps (NOP + toggle to Pricing, LOC, SUBT, etc.) - if you don't know why, you haven't used it enough
- Put the items in your cart yourself - you know how your thought process works more than other people, so you can work through the merchandise quicker (this is critical in HBA or Toys)
- If you don't have a PDA, park your cart near a price check machine (assuming you have the new ones that SF schemetics)
- Park your cart on an endcap, work all of the items within a five-aisle radius (three before, two after)
- Ask CIHYFS - chances are this isn't your first time working returns/re-shop, so you should be able to show guests where most items are
- Remove grey dots from empty locations that you are filling (some stores may not remove the dots if there is only one item, check with your Instocks or Hardlines Team Leaders)

CAF Push
- Fill your vehicle - if there are other vehicles with merchandise in nearby areas (or only a few items) you should grab them, you will save yourself time and effort
- Use the smart labels (that might not be the official term) that is on every single box - it tells you the DPCI, SF schematic, and item name
- Push your vehicle, don't pull it
- Don't stack your vehicle too high, running over a guest is a bad thing
- Learn your backroom (where different departments get backstocked, where to keep empty vehicles, etc.) - this makes backroom TMs' lives a lot easier
- Combine your backstock with nearby backstock vehicles, don't just throw a pink clip on it and walk away
- Keep your vehicle organized - separate backstock as you work, break down boxes, put trash (see: C/D blocks) in an empty box
- Don't overstock - the accumulator isn't perfect, please don't make it worse
- Remove grey dots from empty locations that you are filling

That's everything I have for now, Hardlinesmaster feel free to use any/all of it.

This is from a high volume store, other stores may function differently.

Edit: added a few more items.

Thank you! I just found that after I posted my questions haha

I would first check with the HLTL to make sure you are training for salesfloor. If not, they need to know you need to tag team with a more experienced HLTM.

You have a mid shift. So you will be helping with pushes and zone recovery.

1. Correct on arrival. Clock in, grab a PDA/walkie, and announce your arrival. For mid-shifts, you head to the backroom, and grab a tub or flat of pushes and work it to the salesfloor. There should be colored clips to ID pushes. You will be either assigned to work a specific area or work the push line as its put out.

If you were closing, either your LOD or TL will assign you an area to zone. Once you find that out, go to SD and grab your area's reshop and work it out.

With zoning, you want to bring all product up to the front of the diamonds.

2. The LOD/TL should have a breakdown of lunches and breaks. They should announce over walkie when to go on your breaks/lunches. When you do, announce you are leaving the salesfloor. When coming back, announce you are back on.

3. Ask about how to read planogram numbers. Aisle number then its section-shelf-location. Parentheses will be either regular aisle, endcap, or display. Once you scan an item in item search, you can find the planogram location pretty easily.

4. Flexing usually is meant for seasonal or clearance items. Flex means that planogram has been dropped and the area is being condensed to either the same price point or percentage. Or keeping the shelves stocked but in an organized chaos. You want to group similar items together but there is no specific order except for keeping like items together. One Spot, Mini and Seasonal usually flex on a regular basis.

5. Make sure they show you how to clear the Guest Assistance buttons. Its either a black button on the phones or hidden push button or a code dailed on a red phone or hitting the flashing beacon light.

6. Keep a cart with you during your shift.

Usually you want to check with your area's reshop as soon as you come on and after you come back from lunches/breaks. And work it back to the floor.

If you have any over stocked items, make sure there isn't another location. If all locations are full, then take it to backstock in the backroom

If you pick up reshop for other Hardline areas, pass it along to the other TMs whenever you have a chance. If its Softlines, either take it back to fitting rooms or guest service.

You do not want to pull any items from the back unless you are truly trained. Pulling incorrectly is very easy to mess up. Some stores don't let you pull unless you are BR certified.

But make sure you are signed off on pulling.

Thank you so much for answering all my questions buliSBI! It means a lot! and sorry! I didn't mean to write Pull from the back room, I meant to say push. but thank you for clarifying everything for me!

Just to further clarify, you don't need to be certified to Push what's on the front of "the line". Flats, tubs, or pallets. If it's on a pallet you have to load it onto a flat or tub before pushing it to the sales floor. Do the ones marked "Priority Pulls" (yellow clip) first, followed by "Pull"s (green clip), then "Challenge" (blue clip). Don't work "EXF"s unless directed to.

1. After you clock in, grab a walkie and PDA. Walkie the hardlines team leader (LOD will answer if there isn't one) to let them know you're there. They'll give you an assignment - pushing CAFs, working re-shop, or zoning an area.

2. Some TLs and ETLs make a break schedule, others don't. If the TL or LOD tells you to go whenever, try to go when you won't overlap with anyone else in order to ensure coverage.

3. In hardlines, pull the items forward on the shelves so they cover the diamonds (create a "face" in the aisle), and try to make sure they're in the correct location (it doesn't have to be perfect - superzoning takes too long). Use Item Search on the PDA to determine locations of items. For example: A17(1) 2-1-3 would be aisle A17, second 4-ft section, first shelf from the bottom (in this case, it's the basedeck), third space on the shelf. If the number in parentheses is (0), the item is on an endcap. Odd aisle numbers mean front endcaps, and even aisle numbers mean back endcaps. If the number in parentheses is (99), the item is on a sidecap.

4. That is the correct definition of flexing. Don't flex unless the TL or LOD tells you to do so.

5. buliSBI explained above how to clear a call button. For phone calls, ask the TL or LOD how to pick up a call - I would explain here, but there are multiple phone systems.

6. You do have to be backroom-certified to pull items. You don't have to be certified to push a CAF though. CAFs are the ones with green "PULLS" clips (and no note specifying that the pull is a POG fill or EXF) and are on flats or tubs. If there are any Priority Pulls waiting to be pushed, ask the TL or LOD if you should push those, as those may be handled by the instocks team instead. Re-shop carts may be staged in their respective areas or at/near Guest Service.

Everyone above pretty much nailed it. Remember, don't be afraid to ask questions. For more info, feel free to check out our hardlines guide in the Guides section.

In contrast to others stores, my store doesn't require people to be officially backroom-certified to pull stuff, in fact I learned how to pull during black friday prep when I had multiple video game shippers placed in softlines that were only partially filled and required games from our inventory to fill. I asked the backroom TL and he told me how to properly pull on the PDA and set me loose. However, since you won't know yet how to pull properly regardless, if you do run into a situation where a guest either on the floor or the phone is requesting an item (or a hold on a non-clearance item) that is out of stock on the floor (or doesn't have enough stock to meet their needs) and has a backroom location in item search, just walkie a backroom TM and they'll help you out. Depending on store backroom will be on channel 1 or 2.

I think everyone else covered everything though. A fair amount of it will vary from store to store but with this info you'll have the general idea. Make sure your hardlines TL or LOD knows it's only your 2nd hardlines shift so they don't have you doing anything particularly complicated (say flexing in seasonal with a printer before L&G transitions in or something).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back