Archived Cross-training for open position

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSAhole

Former GSA
So I just noticed my store has an opening for deli. I've wanted to train over there for a while, and now that there's an opening, I'm wondering if I should try to take the opportunity. The keyword here though is TRY, because I've been super unsuccessful in the past in trying to train in other workcenters. My ETL-GE told me a few months ago that he was going to schedule me for training in Starbucks so that I would have more I could talk about when it comes time for my TL interview...that never happened, despite me constantly bringing it up. Then when I had the stupid chat session with our STL before Best Team Survey time, I brought that up to her and she went on a rant about how they shouldn't be promising people cross-training hours, and that we don't have the hours for training, especially in Sbux and blahdy blah.

Well, now we have an opening in Deli, we have plenty of hours to give, and they just added another GSA to our team, and so I'm wondering if I should try it. I have less GSA shifts now because of our addition, so maybe some of the days I'm scheduled for cashier or SD could be spent in Deli instead.

I just don't know how to go about bringing it up, because of what happened last time I was told I could cross-train and also because the ETLs at my store have a notorious history of lying about job openings to current TM's who wish to cross-train. Should I apply for the position without saying anything, or just say something and not apply, or what?

I would apply for the position, then mention it to your ETL-HR. I remember when I first applied for the GSA position, back when I was a cashier. The ETL-HR at the time practically laughed me out of her office. Eventually they gave in because no one else wanted the job. I was told I'd be stuck at the front lanes for good after that.

Sorry, my pessimism is shining through! Just apply and see what HR says. If they really like you, they'll get you that cross-training. :)

Go for it! You now know for sure that an open position is available and that there are hours for training.

Well I talked to my ETL-HR about it, she said she likes the idea (hopefully she wasn't BSing) and that she will talk to the food ETL and my ETL-ge to see if they are okay with it. Not sure how that will go, especially with my ETL ge because he can be stubborn about front end going elsewhere, but we'll see.

Well just thought I'd update, I inquired today as to the status of me training in deli...my etl-hr said that the food ETL was totally down for it and my ETL-GE surprisingly agreed to it as well. She said I will be over there on the two weeks out schedule, so yay! I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back