Archived Cross-Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,
So I have been working at Target as a cashier for nearly a year now and I was wondering what I could exactly cross train in. The GSTL's say since I am still a minor my only choices are sales floor or guest services but the HR ETl tells me I could also go into food ave (do most targets still call it that or did they all switch to calling it Target Cafe?) or even our Starbucks if they need people. I have been pushing to get cross trained because although being a cashier is fun when you talk to nice people about their day and their plans having to be called every horrible name under the sun really wears me down. I think the worst thing someone has called me thus far is "An (f-word) ignorant Target employee for carding a guy when tried to get nicotine patches. On top of that, I am really starting to get tired of getting lectured on how important red cards are, I realize they are important to the company but I can't force people to sign up for something if they truly don't want it. The moment a guest says no, I stop talking about it, I mean isn't the motto Fast, Fun, and Friendly not Fast, Annoying, and Pushy. Any words of wisdom would be great.

Thanks Everyone

As a minor, training at Food/Starbux would be ideal because of your status.
Minors at our store have to be out before 10pm so they can't close. Food ave/Starbux close 2 hrs before the store so you'd be in the clear.
Warning: if you do a good job over there, you might not ever get out.
As to guest treatment, read the "Rudeness at Food Ave" thread under Guests First.

As a minor, training at Food/Starbux would be ideal because of your status.
Minors at our store have to be out before 10pm so they can't close. Food ave/Starbux close 2 hrs before the store so you'd be in the clear.
Warning: if you do a good job over there, you might not ever get out.
As to guest treatment, read the "Rudeness at Food Ave" thread under Guests First.

I have been asking to go to Food Ave and Starbucks for awhile now, several of the GSTL's keep telling me since it deals with machinery I can't cross train there till I am 18. On the flip side, the ETL-HR tells me it's completely fine and that the GSTL's know that now because she sent them emails saying it was okay. I have been going back and forth between HR and the GSTL's for about two months now. But after reading Hardlinesmaster's quote, made me realize once again that if I want to get cross trained I am going to have to push on the GSTL's as hard as they push me to sell red cards to get them to learn the facts on minors working in Food Ave/ Starbucks. I know there is a need for people to be n those places right now, because alot of the original people who worked their have transferred to different stores or have quite altogether.

Oh, I read through the thread you suggested, and most of the guest I have that treated me poorly are those I have to run their drivers licenses through the computer when they get alcohol, nicotine patches, and OTC cold medicine. I really wasn't expecting the best possible treatment in Food Ave by guest, but I do feel that anything is better than cashiering. Plus I don't have to push for red cards in Food Ave, which is just awesome since I am the worst salesmen ever when it comes to those things.

I have been asking to go to Food Ave and Starbucks for awhile now, several of the GSTL's keep telling me since it deals with machinery I can't cross train there till I am 18. On the flip side, the ETL-HR tells me it's completely fine and that the GSTL's know that now because she sent them emails saying it was okay. I have been going back and forth between HR and the GSTL's for about two months now. But after reading Hardlinesmaster's quote, made me realize once again that if I want to get cross trained I am going to have to push on the GSTL's as hard as they push me to sell red cards to get them to learn the facts on minors working in Food Ave/ Starbucks. I know there is a need for people to be n those places right now, because alot of the original people who worked their have transferred to different stores or have quite altogether.

Oh, I read through the thread you suggested, and most of the guest I have that treated me poorly are those I have to run their drivers licenses through the computer when they get alcohol, nicotine patches, and OTC cold medicine. I really wasn't expecting the best possible treatment in Food Ave by guest, but I do feel that anything is better than cashiering. Plus I don't have to push for red cards in Food Ave, which is just awesome since I am the worst salesmen ever when it comes to those things.

My cafe team still gets 1-2 redcards a month. It's all about picking the right people ;)

My store just doesn't ask for red cards in the cafe because we usually only have one person working back there. They tried it out early on when we first opened but it slowed the line down way to much so they just gave up on the idea. Anyway talked to the ETL of HR and she looked up if I could cross train in Food Ave and she found out you have to be at least 18 to work in there. So no to cross training there for a about 5 months

18 to work FA? We've got several minors in FA & 1 in SB.
As to machinery, the only machinery you can't operate as a minor is in Back Room, namely baler & compactor. Not sure about WAV, etc but there's nothing at FA that would disqualify you.

18 to work FA? We've got several minors in FA & 1 in SB.
As to machinery, the only machinery you can't operate as a minor is in Back Room, namely baler & compactor. Not sure about WAV, etc but there's nothing at FA that would disqualify you.

Yea, they can't operate the Wave, Crown, or any of the mechanical jacks.

Really? Maybe it's because I am in California. This state has so many rules and regulations it borders on the ridiculous.

Really? Maybe it's because I am in California. This state has so many rules and regulations it borders on the ridiculous.

Maybe but I'm willing to bet that if you walk into into any mickyD's or burgerhut in Cali you're gonna find minors working behind the grill so I can't think of any reason for Spot to not allow them in FA.

At my store, minors only get hired as cashiers, though one has helped with carts from time to time (he just wasn't allowed to use the cart pusher).

having to be called every horrible name under the sun really wears me down. I think the worst thing someone has called me thus far is "An (f-word) ignorant Target employee for carding a guy when tried to get nicotine patches.

Then I don't recommend service desk...

Dumb. Very dumb. Minimum age to use cart pusher is 16. So, anyone can use the cart pusher who is employed by Target, as the minimum age is 16.

Maybe but I'm willing to bet that if you walk into into any mickyD's or burgerhut in Cali you're gonna find minors working behind the grill so I can't think of any reason for Spot to not allow them in FA.
You know I thought about that too, so I went back to the ETL of HR and asked her how fast food joints could have minors flipping burgers, and how other Targets had minors working in both Food Ave and Starbucks without an issue. There was a couple seconds of silence but then she said, that I could work in either of those two places but that since the chances of me getting burnt by the ovens, frost bite from the freezer or any other injury were so great that they would rather err on the side of caution and just say no to the idea of having minors work in Food Ave or Starbucks. She did say she would look into how other stores protected their minors, and that she would get back to me in a few days.

Then I don't recommend service desk...
Oddly enough, there really hasn't been any incidents when I worked over in Guest Services. There were a few times where an incident should have occurred but I guess they realize I'm not worth talking too so they ask for someone higher up. I actually like the idea of guest services because when people start getting upset and your smiling saying "I'm sorry that's, our policy we can't go against it" they get even more upset and you can't help but laugh at how funny they look when their yelling at you. I don't know I just want to bust out laughing at them. I guess I just expect guest services to have people who are all upset and grouchy whereas cashiering I expected everyone to be happy or at least content.

Dumb. Very dumb. Minimum age to use cart pusher is 16. So, anyone can use the cart pusher who is employed by Target, as the minimum age is 16.
I don't really care if I don't get to use the cart pusher, since we only have one of those machines and I am usually working with the cart attendant to grab more carts I never get the chance to use them anyway. Besides I like thinking I am racing the cart attendant in who can get the most carts.

You know I thought about that too, so I went back to the ETL of HR and asked her how fast food joints could have minors flipping burgers, and how other Targets had minors working in both Food Ave and Starbucks without an issue. There was a couple seconds of silence but then she said, that I could work in either of those two places but that since the chances of me getting burnt by the ovens, frost bite from the freezer or any other injury were so great that they would rather err on the side of caution and just say no to the idea of having minors work in Food Ave or Starbucks. She did say she would look into how other stores protected their minors, and that she would get back to me in a few days.

Your ETL of HR is an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back