Archived Cut Hours / Schedule...What To Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired as a seasonal flow team employee in mid/late November, been here almost 2 months already and there are still a lot of things I don't know.

There are many things i need to make a point to learn about, but the current problem is that my hours seem to be getting cut drastically. When I started, Thanksgiving and Black Friday were not far away, and Christmas preparations were being made. My hours were plentiful, and the weeks often saw me working 6 days in a row.

Now, that's the way I like it. I start at 5 every day, except for one day, my 3rd ever, where they had me come in at 4 and start on the line (which in retrospect seems like a fluke, but I can't be sure.) My schedule usually specifies that my shift is to end at 8:30 am, but since the beginning I've always just left whenever the work is finished..and the TLs seem to be fine with it (never stayed past 2...and even that is rare. The latest I stay is usually 1. At my store I always start in either toys or baby, and from there, just go where I'm needed: sporting goods, frozen, dairy, and then progress to random pulls as the day is ending.)
But over time, the holidays passed... I did receive a letter commending my work and offering me a long-term position, which was reassuring, but as things have died down, my scheduled days have been diminishing. It went from 6 or 5 days to 4 days per week for a couple weeks (about 17 scheduled hours, which is decent, but still I tend to work more) and for the last 2 weeks, they have been giving me 3-day work weeks, totaling to about 10 hours each. This upcoming week I am scheduled to work a 9 hour week. It really makes me uneasy and I wonder if there is anything I can do to change/ fix this.

I've received advice to simply ask the one TL for more days, or even to come in earlier. The former I have done, and it seems to work out fine. He is easy-going & fairly accommodating, and will usually add a day to my now meager schedule. There is also the receiving team leader who we go to for schedule changes, and he is fair enough, but I've heard that he's more stingy with hours and people have said that he's asked them to leave when they tried to stay longer than usual. Just today in fact, I was finishing up at 1pm and he told me to leave (first time ever! Which was also a bit worrisome) in a subtle way that was more like asking than ordering...

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to what I should do. I could keep on asking this one TL for more days until the end of time, but that's not completely reliable, and what I would much rather do is just let it be known that I would prefer at least 4 scheduled workdays per week, with 5 being optimum.
Maybe I am seeking out the wrong person? Is there someone else, or another manager I should see about this kind of thing [scheduling]? Is this taboo altogether? Or would it maybe be better to just start requesting days through eHR? Could I really ask to change my shift (like, from 5 am to 4)? Or is this just never done? Could there be a specific reason why they are cutting my hours? Could I be fired if i try to mess around with this too much?

I would appreciate any input, advice, experiences, etc. Also if this is in the wrong place, sorry. But yes I am lost. D:

Last edited:
Welcome to first quarter, where it takes a miracle (vacations, promotions, etc all in the same department) to get hours. This is not a reflection on you so much as the hours aren't there, and they can't have people staying too late if the payroll isn't there. It doesn't matter if the work is done. If payroll says they are out of hours, well, the work shifts on to the next person. Find out about cross-training. Flow people have found themselves picking up cashier and cart attendant shifts at my store.

it's payroll. Jan and Feb are the worst. It sucks for those of us writing the schedule who actually care. I gave myself a migraine today trying to write the schedule for the front end because there's just no way possible to give everyone the hours that they want. Try and get cross trained in other areas so you can pick up shifts on the swap board. I have a cashier who wants 40 hours a week and that's just not possible for me to give her right now. She is cross trained in every single area of the store except deli and bakery and she has 40 hours every single week because of that.

And for those of us that still have tons to do and are given half the time to do it in ...

I just wonder if Spot thinks that our bills magically go away because they don't have the hours to give us.

Yeah, it's a weird and bitterly ironic time of year: you can work in an area, get 20 hours, meanwhile, every other Friday ( ahem ) half your team will call out, and yet...same 20 hours for you.

Nature of the beast, unfortunately.

All I can recommend is similar to what most of the others are saying: get all the training you can tolerate, keep your red shirts clean and your khakis pressed in case they call you in, watch the shift swap sheet like a hawk, get REAAAALLLY frugal, and, hate to say it, but if you're in a position to get a second job, do it, do it, do it-IF ( big IF ) your store/schedule will accomodate that.

am i the only one that won't give people tons of hours if they keep calling out or posting their schedule? I have a couple of people who want 40 hours and will complain if they don't get them but then they only end up working 15-20 a week. Why would i continue to give them hours when they don't show up?

am i the only one that won't give people tons of hours if they keep calling out or posting their schedule? I have a couple of people who want 40 hours and will complain if they don't get them but then they only end up working 15-20 a week. Why would i continue to give them hours when they don't show up?

Ooh. I like you. My store was the opposite...people who called out all the time always seemed to get more hours. I was told it was availability. I'm sure. If they're available, why are they calling out?

Last year wasn't bad during this time because of our remodel, but after it, if I was talking with someone and they were going to call out, I'd offer to work for them...it was that bad.

Sounds like your store held onto to many seasonal TM's. Your on flow and only being scheduled about 9 or so hours a week, they have to many people. I agree learn other areas of the store, I have found that flow is very low hours and backroom gets the majority of the hours on logistics. January is worst on payroll, its fiscal end of year for Target, STL's dont want to end the year on a sour note with payroll.

Hit up flow every morning. When they were trying my patience and giving me only 17 hours a week, I would get up every morning, get dressed, then call the opening LOG 15 minutes before his team got there. I was picking up a full 40 that way. The flow team, at our store, hands down has the highest number of call outs every day, so they are your probably your best bet.

^This!
I was walking past TMSC last week & heard a cashier bemoaning the lack of hours. Later, one of the hrtms told me that same cashier had TURNED DOWN 3 different shifts that were offered to her a few days later. I picked up one of them AFTER my regular shift had ended. Yeh, it was an 11 hr day & my feet hurt but it keeps me at the top of the A list.

^This!
I was walking past TMSC last week & heard a cashier bemoaning the lack of hours. Later, one of the hrtms told me that same cashier had TURNED DOWN 3 different shifts that were offered to her a few days later. I picked up one of them AFTER my regular shift had ended. Yeh, it was an 11 hr day & my feet hurt but it keeps me at the top of the A list.
Way to go, red!

I am softlines, fitting room, guest service and cashier trained...I pick up hours wherever I can...I get 25 or so as a brand team member and pick up about a shift a week right now to supplement. I made sure my least favorite ETL (HR now GE recently) knows that I am now guest service trained and that the best gstl uses me as her relief when needed. I do believe that will help me shortly to pick up some of those hours and fosters good will when the gstl position opens up again (we have an idiot there right now who is not long for the store, I hope)

My problem is that whatever shifts are posted on the board are always the days I'm already working and more often than not about the same times. I did get called in last Monday which helped somewhat. And from things I've heard from other tms at my store I seem to have more than others. I'm just happy that, at least, my car's paid off (as of last March). If it wasn't for that I'd be hurting even more.

I am softlines, fitting room, guest service and cashier trained...I pick up hours wherever I can...I get 25 or so as a brand team member and pick up about a shift a week right now to supplement. I made sure my least favorite ETL (HR now GE recently) knows that I am now guest service trained and that the best gstl uses me as her relief when needed. I do believe that will help me shortly to pick up some of those hours and fosters good will when the gstl position opens up again (we have an idiot there right now who is not long for the store, I hope)
You are on the good list. Smile & take the hours.

My problem is that whatever shifts are posted on the board are always the days I'm already working and more often than not about the same times. I did get called in last Monday which helped somewhat. And from things I've heard from other tms at my store I seem to have more than others. I'm just happy that, at least, my car's paid off (as of last March). If it wasn't for that I'd be hurting even more.
Go to the end o list & see who is open. Then up the list to see who is working & calls out. You know who no shows are..

I've seen that as well but - if the shift hasn't been picked up & it doesn't have a huge overlap - I'll still ask if I can stay for the remander of the shift. If the shift hasn't been taken & they need the coverage, they usually allow me the extra.

Thanks for the helpful and amusing responses.

Wow...there's a shift swap sheet? This I did not know... will have to look for that...And how does one pick up a shift?
I've switched days with someone...just one time. And occasionally have been asked to come in a day I was originally scheduled to be off. But it seldom happens. =/
And calling out just means people canceling their shift? Or something else?

At my store, it seems that we're currently short-staffed a bit...at least based on the conversation i heard between a fellow TM and one of the TLs... The question "Are we going to get more people?" was asked, and the TL's response was yes, they are trying to hire more people due to losses.

Despite being comfortable with my position and really enjoying being somewhat low profile, I've considered cross-training, but not sure who to ask about that, or how much seniority or whatever a person must have to get started with it.

Swift shift sheet is located near the timeclock in tsc. A tm who needs a day off usually puts day, position & time. You see it, ask your Lod to take it. On cross training, ask your tl.

Thanks for the helpful and amusing responses.

Wow...there's a shift swap sheet? This I did not know... will have to look for that...And how does one pick up a shift?
I've switched days with someone...just one time. And occasionally have been asked to come in a day I was originally scheduled to be off. But it seldom happens. =/
And calling out just means people canceling their shift? Or something else?

At my store, it seems that we're currently short-staffed a bit...at least based on the conversation i heard between a fellow TM and one of the TLs... The question "Are we going to get more people?" was asked, and the TL's response was yes, they are trying to hire more people due to losses.

Despite being comfortable with my position and really enjoying being somewhat low profile, I've considered cross-training, but not sure who to ask about that, or how much seniority or whatever a person must have to get started with it.

Don't need seniority so much as gumption.
Just as your TL if you can be cross trained and if you don't get any response hit up any other TL you get along with.
Keep doing this until someone bites.

The swap shift sheet is usually up at TLC somewhere around the schedule.
Make sure any swap is cleared with the appropriate people.
Calling out is when someone is sick or has someone sick in the family (or just sick of working) so they can't come in.

Well whaddaya know...I found the swap sheet yesterday. Cool!
For now the problem kind of solved itself: I was asked by the receiving TL to come in 2 days in a row without having to ask anything... yay.. guess we are understaffed or they just need more help...
I'll probably wait a bit on the cross-training.

It seems that someone quit, after just walking off the line..I asked today if they need help on the line and a TM told me "you don't wana do that." hm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back