Archived Cutting hours already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else's store desperately trying to cut hours? I always expect this end of Jan, Feb, Mar, but the week after Christmas?? The trucks are still heavy but they've been sending flow team home before the push is finished. I am wondering if this has anything to do with corporate trying to pinch every penny they can in light of the data breach and gift card fiascos. I'd imagine Target is bracing for some big losses but can't understand why they think cutting the "little peoples" hours is always the answer. I'd like to know how much of a financial impact it really makes if each store is able to save a few hundred dollars in payroll for the week. I wish the upper corporate level execs had to take a pay cut to help compensate for Target's losses. Instead let's just steal it from Joe Blow making 9 bucks an hour, working 16 hours a week!

Our store is cutting hours like crazy. I've lost some this week already and anticipate losing at least three more.

It has started. In a horrible way I am sheltered from it at the moment due to our 4am Logistics teams being so shorthanded I pretty much have to be there on non truck days. Not complaining. If bosses incompetence is going to get me hours Ill take it.

Welcome to the 1st qtr. the hours will be reduced even more starting next week. Be global, is your best bet.

I am well aware that this happens this time of year. I have worked for Target for quite a while, I just never remember it happening THIS early. In some ways I hope it is because Target overall is not doing well. I know it's not good to want to see the company you work for fail, but over the years I have grown to hate Target more and more. I wish the people at the corporate level would get their heads out of you-know-where and focus on fundamentals rather than this la la land nonsense they come up with (vibe, power hour, obnoxious holiday commercials.) Start cutting money at the top where it will make the most impact. It'll never happen.

February at my store hours were slashed deeply! I remember I and a few other people in market had their's killed to 5 hours a week for three weeks (Back during those times, I was on the pfresh push; I remember saying to myself "It is so important to get Pfresh filled. They can never cut my hours drastically!") I'm just wondering if my store would be cutting hours starting now rather than giving ultra low hours during the lull coming up. Thankfully I can survive on 5 hours a week now so I'm not too concerned if that does happened.

Welcome to the 1st qtr. the hours will be reduced even more starting next week. Be global, is your best bet.

I am well aware that this happens this time of year. I have worked for Target for quite a while, I just never remember it happening THIS early. In some ways I hope it is because Target overall is not doing well. I know it's not good to want to see the company you work for fail, but over the years I have grown to hate Target more and more. I wish the people at the corporate level would get their heads out of you-know-where and focus on fundamentals rather than this la la land nonsense they come up with (vibe, power hour, obnoxious holiday commercials.) Start cutting money at the top where it will make the most impact. It'll never happen.
As a company, our sales are down by 3 percent & still have crazy levels of expectations. I agreed with you to a certain point.

You didn't piss anyone off. Welcome to 1st quarter: where payroll doesn't exist and your hours don't matter!

6UORoig.jpg

^ What I've been doing haha cross-training for 2 other areas now

Time to cross-train and learn and expand your knowledge and be proactive in scooping up them hours :)

Kroneru, your avatar is awesome! makes me laugh everytime

Last edited:
I think my store is cutting hours also, but as long as I keep getting around 20 I am fine with it. Got 6 days this week, but had to close as one of two cashiers with no cart attendant (hint: I was also the CA just not scheduled for it). Seems the core of our cashiering team was hired as seasonal and I am being moved from most CA to mostly Cashier. ETLs mentioned cross training for Service Desk (I know at least one SD TM is leaving for college), Hardlines (though I doubt that I would get hours there because so many were hired recently).

The other cashiers hired before me have been complaining to me about their 3~15 hrs this week. Idk what to tell them since half my hrs are CA.

I wish the people at the corporate level would get their heads out of you-know-where and focus on fundamentals rather than this la la land nonsense they come up with (vibe, power hour, obnoxious holiday commercials.) Start cutting money at the top where it will make the most impact. It'll never happen.

Too many people that have to come up with new "ideas" to justify their five, six, and seven figure salaries.

In this instance, the one about cutting hours this week, it's because your store overspent payroll in the earlier 4 weeks of December. Now, in December w5 they are in a cut and grab scenario doing everything they can to make the month (one of the Stl's main responsibilities is making payroll allocation). A few things probably went into the overspend, I'm going to guess sales were down for the month or at least the last few weeks? Did your store start strong and then hit a huge rock after the breach? If so, what happened was your STL was playing the "flex game". Your December started out strong and he/she was banking on flex hours coming in and delivering more payroll, then the bottom fell out and now they're in trouble for the month..

In writing the schedule posting this week for jan w2 hours haven't been chopped as much as they have in years past...

In this instance, the one about cutting hours this week, it's because your store overspent payroll in the earlier 4 weeks of December. Now, in December w5 they are in a cut and grab scenario doing everything they can to make the month (one of the Stl's main responsibilities is making payroll allocation). A few things probably went into the overspend, I'm going to guess sales were down for the month or at least the last few weeks? Did your store start strong and then hit a huge rock after the breach? If so, what happened was your STL was playing the "flex game". Your December started out strong and he/she was banking on flex hours coming in and delivering more payroll, then the bottom fell out and now they're in trouble for the month..

In writing the schedule posting this week for jan w2 hours haven't been chopped as much as they have in years past...

This last part was true for my schedule. I had been scheduled only 26 hours with 12 of that being C+S push and the other 2 shifts market. The week after im back up to 35 or so hours.

I have FIVE hours on the two newest schedules. I am trained EVERYWHERE except food, Starbucks, and receiving. Life is grand at my store.

I have around 19-20 hours for the new schedule in Electronics with 3 days not scheduled. I have noticed people are still doing time off/giving up/calling out on shifts. I usually tend to pickup shifts on the phone when they come in as Hardlines in my store seems to be spread thin atm o_O

With these next tough few months ahead I can see the hours back there being cut a little more cause of lost sales due to the stuff going on and I know things are gonna be tight and even though I can tell that some guests have started to feel different about their sense of security I remember that where there is dark clouds there is sunlight behind them. I will continue to work my hardest and provide awesome guest service...one guest at a time :)

Backroom got something like 115 hours this week to work with, I imagine that's just dayside... I got 40 of them. A new cashier asked if January was always this bad for hours; she wasn't too stoked when I told her that January-July are bad for hours. Thankfully, she seemed very excited to cross-train.

Our hours have been cut, of course, on the front lines, but we are still pretty busy! Not quite as busy as just before Christmas, but there have only been a few cashiers scheduled, and we keep having to call for backup multiple times a night because the lines get to be 6+ guests long.

Our hours have been cut, of course, on the front lines, but we are still pretty busy! Not quite as busy as just before Christmas, but there have only been a few cashiers scheduled, and we keep having to call for backup multiple times a night because the lines get to be 6+ guests long.

I know this feel. I actually talked to my GSTL after the first day of this (New Years) and they started scheduling one extra cashier the rest of the week. I feel my store needs a minimum of 3 at closing time to be done, zoned and keep the lines short enough where we only occasionally need backup. Training in HL tomorrow and I am ready to be that backup that comes to the rescue when it is busy.

In softlines we only have about 200 hours to divide up. Our team leader was complaining about how she only gets 100 hours for 2 weeks while the 12 of us in softlines only like an average of 10 hours each week. And the Fitting Room people get the most hours of 30 each week. And we all know the team leader's best friend that works at the fitting room gets the most hours of 25-30 each week, not only that she always schedules both of them to be off at the same time so they can hang out. It's a load of bull to have to deal with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back