Archived D-code: What does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravalpea

Battery/giftcard loather
Greetings all! I have posted here several times and have not yet been disappointed with the advice I have been given, so here I am again to ask you now for more.
I am on flow team, and as such am on the line helping with the "palletizing" of push/backstock. As of late, when it is time for the throwers to switch out, I take control of the pda. When I am scanning, some items chirp 5 times, telling me something is off and it could be anything from an item not being recognized/being sent to the wrong store, to not being legal for that store, or come up as d-code which we just send it down the line and treat it like any other piece of push/backstock. Now I should add that I wasn't trained on how to scan the truck, I learned everything through observation including how to acknowledge the truck.
Anyway, what does d-code mean and how am I suppose to treat it? Thanks.

D-code means Discontinued. Target has decided that this store will no longer carry said item. When stock runs out, that's it. I'm not familiar with the truck process though so I'm not sure how long after something gets D-coded before the store actually stops receiving said item.

*facepalm*
I should have figured as much.
:)

We always pushed D-Code at my store in order to make sure as much of it was on the floor as possible

D-Code should go on PTM vehicles, which should have a brown-ish (I think) clip. It's the stuff they try to push to the floor to sell before it goes clearance.

It is a brown-ish clip. D-Code does *not* get sent to backstock. Depending on where it is found and what the store process is, you will do slightly different things with D-Code merchandise but in short the idea is "we are no longer selling this so we have to clear out remaining stock" which means getting it all out on the floor. Put it in the correct areas on a vehicle and the correct people will be notified to come take care of of it and get things sold. In theory, at least.

Also, sorry but I have only thrown boxes down the line on a truck unload, I don't know much about scanning an unload, so not sure how they handle D-Code off the unload if they do at all. As receiving I constantly find D-code boxes in transition and elsewhere after the unload that I pull out and send to the floor. My process is I take a big black marker, draw a huge smiley face on the box, and write "Hi! I'm Discontinued! Please help me get sold?" on one or two sides of the box. It seems to work.

Long story short, if you identify some D-Code merchandise be sure to point it out to a team lead or a good senior team member and they'll be sure to take it off your hands and put it in the right place, but it is important to not just shuffle D-Code to the backroom, those items need to be sold pronto.

Last edited:
The proper thing to do is when unloading everything that comes up d code should be separated off the truck. Morning huddle should be doing a smart huddle to flex it out. Doesn't work, doesn't happen.
There's a report you can get from the truck off RWT that shows the d code stuff.

I usually write on the box as I scan. CL for clearance, DCODE for D-Code, etc. Have a vehicle ready for them or throw them under the line until unload is finished.

Did not know this until just now, which is pretty stupid but I work at a stupid store so no surprise:

So, it shows if an item is clearance or d-code as you scan it off the truck? That's f-ing stupid since I have had entire pallets of clearance straight off the truck sent to backstock, as well as all kinds of d-code. Sigh. If they really show up as d-code and clearance on the unload scan I'm going to have a talk with a person or two at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back