Archived DBOs should not have closing shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is basically just a long rant.

Btw, if you don't know what a DBO (Dedicated Business Owner) is yet it's a person who generally works full time and owns a specific department or area. You do everything for it including the freight, stray, VMG, price change, pulls, backstock, ect.

I work in softlines as a shoes/mens DBO (primarily shoes because there's always so much shit to do) and I'm also the trainer for everyone in softlines. I do love being a DBO, and I do a great job with it. My store has been already in modernization for a year. I also love training and have even created our own training program for softlines because Target training SUCKS and I was sick of seeing new hires quit because they weren't trained and got frustrated. Admittedly I work way harder than I probably should for my pay grade but it's just who I am.

Anyways, I'm so sick of being expected to have my departments freight/stray done by the time I leave, juggle fitting room rotations (2hrs in FR per person), spend an hour training specific TMs (not even my idea but some of our TMs require extra training) per shift, taking phone calls for other departments because other departments don't pick up their damn calls or they dont even schedule anybody IN that department TO pick up calls, helping guests, and have zone done by the time I leave. I guarantee you when I come in in the morning tomorrow I am going to be asked why there's 3 pallets of shoe freight and why zone wasn't great. DBOs have a lot of tasks that they need to do and then having to spend time zoning (and training and FR rotation for me) for most of your shift does not work. I can't talk for other departments but I literally cannot get freight done if I am expected to zone. It just won't happen. Once again, I can't speak for other departments but zoning softlines takes an excruciatingly long amount of time. I also cannot usually finish price change on time or do VMGs on time when I am closing for most of the week. At first I thought it was me having bad time management but it's definitely not the case. There should be people who ONLY close in said department who aren't DBOs or at least have "back up" part time DBOs that can fill in when shit needs to get done (and actually do a decent job, lol). I like seeing my departments being the way they should and having other TMs trained like they should. Also you don't even want to know how much stray to be hung (and then worked out) my store has right now. It isn't even getting touched. The FR needs an EXTRA person scheduled to only be in there who can be the first responder to calls and hang stray so the DBOs don't need to worry about it. Having one person have so many tasks and responsibilities while also cutting hours and positions is an absolutely huge mistake.

I honestly don't care about me getting in trouble for stuff not getting done cause obviously it's not my fault. It just irritates me cause Target is fucking itself with modernization. Can't wait for them to see that it really isn't working like they want it to on paper.

TLDR: zoning takes up too much time while you're also trying to effectively "run a business". Things are not getting done.

/end rant

Last edited:
In addition to my rant, I don't think DBOs should be expected to finish all freight/stray. Their main concern should be having the department set, filled, backstocked, price change, ect and THEN work freight/stray if they have time. If not there should always be somebody who can do the extra work that they don't have time to finish. I end up having two days off then come back to absolutely insane amounts of freight and my department looks like absolute garbage.

Can you tell I'm very irritated with Target right now, lol? ok I'm honestly done ranting now

I'm closing LOD, and we have a TM just in shoes who gets about 38 hrs/wk. She does what she can, but her freight is, honestly, never pushed, soley because she works mainly 12-8. We close at 10. She gets pulled to cashier, cover FR, cover RTW, because another TM got her period today and visibly must go home. Luckily my hardliner closers are not DBOs. My store was not alotted any closing TMs, but so far 2 have been scheduled as such. They are able to maintain and help with projects I identify. I think SL could benefit from dedicated closers also. They can't be expected to set VMGs at night.

Last edited:
I'm closing LOD, and we have a TM just in shoes who gets about 38 hrs/wk. She does what she can, but her freight is, honestly, never pushed, soley because she works mainly 12-8. We close at 10. She gets pulled to cashier, cover FR, cover RTW, because another TM got her period today and visibly must go home. Luckily my hardliner closers are not DBOs. My store was not alotted any closing TMs, but so far 2 have been scheduled as such. They are able to maintain and help with projects I identify. I think SL could benefit from dedicated closers also. They can't be expected to set VMGs at night.
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to bring it up with my ETL because it's giving me anxiety just seeing all that isn't getting done lol

Do they literally only do shoes and nothing else? Man, if so I wish my store would do that. They wanted to have me take over RTW and have the men's DBO do both men's AND shoe's and I straight up told them that it is not even possible. Like wut. I'm planning on sitting down with my ETL to go over some of this because I just get anxiety seeing how much isn't getting done.
Just shoes. We combine boys/girls/infants (32ish hrs), men's (trainer 35ish hrs), perf/intimates (32ish hrs). and then RTW 40 hrs with rfid). There are more hours than just that scheduled though. More PC and some beauty who fill in gaps. About 450/1800 of our payroll goes to SL

I forgot accessories, because our break out ladies are badass and usually are able to push it. I just dont know how they do it. Lol, magic

Just shoes. We combine boys/girls/infants (32ish hrs), men's (trainer 35ish hrs), perf/intimates (32ish hrs). and then RTW 40 hrs with rfid). There are more hours than just that scheduled though. More PC and some beauty who fill in gaps. About 450/1800 of our payroll goes to SL
Ohh gotcha. I like how you have a nice understanding of SL. One of our hardlines TLs (oh sorry, I mean GMTL) just become the closing LOD and he is trying to understand all he can about softlines so he can help when needed but it'll probably take a while.

Our SL is divided up by 5 zones.
1 - young contemporary (Wild Fable) Universal, Knox Rose and clearance block.
2 - Seasonal (swim or winter crap), A New Day, and jewelry/accessories
3 - performance, intimates/sleep and hosiery
4 - men's and shoes
5 - kid's and infant/toddler

Right now we have no DBOs in zone 1 and 2 so some of our part timers along with the two TLs/VM and me as well as two other full timers when we're not dealing with our own departments.
We have 1 DBO in zone 3 but she really only has time to do bras/sleep so our inbound/SL mix TM tries to help with performance/hoisery when she can which is usually never because she's always doing SL breakout.
We have me and another person in Z4 but we never really have time to help each other and we both get stuck closing all the time.
We literally have 1 part time person who is considered the DBO for kids/baby. I truly do not know how anything gets done over there. Some part timers go over there too and the TL tries to help but it's a disaster.

Last edited:
I forgot accessories, because our break out ladies are badass and usually are able to push it. I just dont know how they do it. Lol, magic
Bless their souls. I would rather set myself on fire than push accessory freight. My least favorite in all of SL.

My thoughts exactly. I'm going to bring it up with my ETL because it's giving me anxiety just seeing all that isn't getting done lol

Our store gets 2 closing team members under closing hours. We chose 1 on the hardlines side and 1 on the softlines side. They are the same 2 people Monday through Friday.

In addition to my rant, I don't think DBOs should be expected to finish all freight/stray. Their main concern should be having the department set, filled, backstocked, price change, ect and THEN work freight/stray if they have time. If not there should always be somebody who can do the extra work that they don't have time to finish. I end up having two days off then come back to absolutely insane amounts of freight and my department looks like absolute garbage.

Can you tell I'm very irritated with Target right now, lol? ok I'm honestly done ranting now

Working the freight out is the most important thing. Everything else in your zone can be done to perfection and on time, but it hardly matters if the product isn't on the floor for guests to buy. I agree that there should be someone else whose job it is to just help stock. That position actually exists in the ops model, but with payroll being what it is company-wide it's unlikely to get filled in all areas all the time. Thus, the DBOs need to make sure that the most important thing gets done and get the frieght out. If they don't, it will hurt sales. It really can't be an if they have time to do it thing.

I am the dbo for shoes. I and I alone push all shoes wherever they go. I work 25 to 27 hours a week. At this time, I have not yet been trained for taking calls and register backup. I know it's coming and I'm fine with that. I have always done shoes but as a flow person. Recently I became style. I do my pulls first, then reshop then zone. Depending on day this takes 2 to 3 hrs. Do my metro last. After last bogo event, my shoe sales were 2nd highest in my district. I know what I'm doing and am left alone to do it. I love shoes, lol

DBOs shouldn't answer phone calls, DBOs shouldn't push freight, DBOs shouldn't work fitting room. DBOs should have preferential schedules and should never close. Those other softlines folks should close only, never get a nice daytime shift, should do the stuff you feel you should be exempt from. Seriously, us vs them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back