DC Coverage Area

Does anyone know about how big of a mileage radius a DC covers, on average? I only ask because we were discussing our DC today and we can’t figure out if it’s covering 5 states or just 2. Looking at the map, I’d say it covers most of PA, NJ, NY, and Maryland. But others say it only covers PA and NJ.

Does anyone know about how big of a mileage radius a DC covers, on average? I only ask because we were discussing our DC today and we can’t figure out if it’s covering 5 states or just 2. Looking at the map, I’d say it covers most of PA, NJ, NY, and Maryland. But others say it only covers PA and NJ.
DCs coverage is weird. We also swap stores between DCs relatively often.
My DC covers a store that is much closer to another DC, but the route from my DC to that store is a single large highway whereas the other one has a much more difficult and convoluted route that gets made impassable due to winter weather more often.
There is a DC in New York so you might think it covers all of NY and NJ. In reality both DCs probably covers a bit of all of the states up there depending on highway routes.

Also have to factor in backhaul vendors. There’s a store ~40mi down the interstate from my DC that’s served by a DC ~200mi from it because they can backhaul freight from a vendor near the store.
That entire area is probably a mix of 4 DCs, possibly more. There are 2 DCs just in NY that are only 40mi apart.

Back