Archived Debit cards....debit RED cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
Has anyone heard how the checkless debit card apps are coming along? Are they still working on it or have they given up?

Had a guest today w/ a cartful worth over $400.00. She was very interested in the RC....then she said that she didn't have a check.......well, there went that Red Card conversion! So why bother telling people about the RC if they can't get it anyway??

I haven't heard anything other than the fact that you can now apply online. Which does nothing for our conversion, so I haven't mentioned it to a soul (not even other TMs).

I got asked at another retailer that does a store debit card if i knew what my account number was to set it up.. I'm guessing it's gonna work the same way

Our store just recently finished a year long test for the checkless application process. I am not "in the loop" about it too much right now, but our conversion has gone down since the test period ended... I hope it becomes a regular thing for all stores because NO ONE carries checks around anymore unless they are coming back into the store with one because a team member told them to bring it to sign up during a previous visit.

Yes, in October they will be able to sign up without a check online...they just have to punch in the information (whereas now they have to fill out the information and send in a blank check). I cannot figure out why the ETLs are excited by this...

Yes, in October they will be able to sign up without a check online...they just have to punch in the information (whereas now they have to fill out the information and send in a blank check). I cannot figure out why the ETLs are excited by this...

I believe they are implementing the ability to sign up for a red card in store without the need for a check. As it stands currently, not having a check on hand is the biggest factor preventing conversions next to "I just don't want the damn thing"

I walked a visit with the Red Card team from corporate and they said the tests for the checkless sign up wasn't what they expected. Too much follow up to actually get the application finished and not enough follow through from the guest. Ie- they were using it as a one time 5% discount and not bothering to finish the deal. Therefore the paperless sign up was going to be nixed and not rolled out to all stores. They did admit that the test stores who did the paperless apps initial conversion percentage did jump, but that the long term positivity of it was negated by the lack of follow up from the guest. Bummer x10.

Also, I watched our ETL-GE get buried by a GVP for saying "Guests don't have checks" so my suggestion (although I agree....) is to know that reason in your head, but don't ever mention it as an actual reason for lack of conversion.

Also, I watched our ETL-GE get buried by a GVP for saying "Guests don't have checks" so my suggestion (although I agree....) is to know that reason in your head, but don't ever mention it as an actual reason for lack of conversion.

That is stupid though! Why should they get upset for that answer? It's the truth! What was the GVP's comeback?

I actually hate that excuse too. When I am in the cash office I deposit at least 100 checks a day.

It didn't actually do that well. I guess they still didn't get FULLY signed up in the store, so the guest had a responsibility to go online after to finish the application. The amount of guests starting the application in the store went up big time, but then less than 50% of them actually completed their applications.

Why doesn't Spot figure out a way to use the guest's bank issued-debit card for sign-up instead of a check? EVERYBODY has those, no excuses there! It would literally take a swipe, possibly entering additional info on the pinpad, and you're done. All of the information needed is right there encrypted in their bank card. It's painfully obvious, isn't it? Perhaps that's why they haven't thought of it then... :p

Why doesn't Spot figure out a way to use the guest's bank issued-debit card for sign-up instead of a check? EVERYBODY has those, no excuses there! It would literally take a swipe, possibly entering additional info on the pinpad, and you're done. All of the information needed is right there encrypted in their bank card. It's painfully obvious, isn't it? Perhaps that's why they haven't thought of it then... :p
Because it's hard enough to convince guests to give up their SS# & other personal info without telling them to swipe their debit & enter the PIN.
Banks also employ proprietary software on their cards & wouldn't be inclined to make it easier for a potential competitor to add on a card that could skim off some of their business.

That's how the Paypal Debit Card works... well how paypal works in general if you connect a debit or credit card. You get a charge to paypal (or to the redcard) as if it's a debt you owe them, but they immediately charge your debit card so there's no delay. Target uses checks so that when you forget about a transaction they can get a returned check fee.

The other day I had a guest who had purchased over $400 worth of products and was quite happy that they could get a debit card....but when I said that they needed a check....the guest said, "No thank you."

I told my GSTL and my STL about the lost chance for getting the RedCard.
I figure that those who are the "higher ups" need to be aware of how often a RedCard Debit card is lost due to the fact that checks are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back