Service & Engagement defect labels?

i have been working the desk for about 3 weeks now. I'm currently a seasonal hire but would love to keep the job! is there a way for me to do defects directly from the pos rather than on mywork. i feel as if it's more tedious, especially when it gets super busy. i would love to quickly tap a couple of buttons on the pos and print out a slip or sticker instead of having to take out the device and wait for everything to load. i have seen a defect receipt come directly from the pos once. is there a way i can make it happen when an item is returned?

i am only worried that if it gets busy and i set an item to the side without defecting it first, then i would possibly forget to defect it and it ends up back on the salesfloor.

also, general items like opened boxes, ESIM, etc. should be defected/disposed/donated properly, but what else would you recommend defecting for sanitary/quality purposes?

even if I just get the receipt that must be scanned, that's great, but is there a way for it to print a label directly from the printer at the desk?

I know they used to be able to defect from POS but I think they might have taken that away with the new system. @Amanda Cantwell help please?

As for what to defect, in Softlines please defect anything that looks or smells used. We've gotten worn/dirty/smelly clothes in our reshop and it's so annoying, lol. Smoke and strong perfume, just defect. Also if you take something back that is already zero/salvage, keep it and throw it in your salvage box. We get zero value merchandise in our reshop all the time too.

I know they used to be able to defect from POS but I think they might have taken that away with the new system. @Amanda Cantwell help please?
Our service desk is still using the old registers, but the checkout lanes aren't. Amanda would definitely be able to help!

As for what to defect, in Softlines please defect anything that looks or smells used. We've gotten worn/dirty/smelly clothes in our reshop and it's so annoying, lol. Smoke and strong perfume, just defect. Also if you take something back that is already zero/salvage, keep it and throw it in your salvage box. We get zero value merchandise in our reshop all the time too.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I smelled a shirt that had perfume on it today, but it completely slipped my mind! What's the best place to put the label if you defect a clothing item? Just as close to the UPC as possible?

When I am doing a return, I scan the thing I want to defect first because the POS will ask if anything is wrong with the item. It is such autopilot that I can't remember the exact wording. Then you press K8 to keep defecting that item. It will then ask you for the next item if anything is wrong. Defective stickers (ESIM, CRC, Etc.,) will print out. Unless it is part of a transaction there is no way to defect something on the register.

They took away "Print Labels" a few months back (K8) and replaced it with "Add Printers."

Before "Print Labels," it was "Sort Stuff" (why they said "stuff" is beyond me but I always that it was funny lol) and that was king of defecting things.

They're trying to wean you off POS for anything like this because New POS won't have this. They're trying to feed you myDay forcefully down your throat.

What's the best place to put the label if you defect a clothing item? Just as close to the UPC as possible?
Defective labels should be as close to the barcode as possible, but not over the barcode.
They should ideally also not cover the DPCI.

On clothing items or other fabric things, best practice is to use a blank tag and the tag gun and attach the defective label there, as opposed to the actual item as it'll fall off if adhered directly to the fabric.

E5078C00-5AA6-4E34-8199-747A960E8238.jpeg 5074B9B6-E9B4-49E7-A76A-E08015FB02E0.jpeg DBB6F4F1-F931-4114-B9BF-7D8FA3BD5B96.jpeg

When I am doing a return, I scan the thing I want to defect first because the POS will ask if anything is wrong with the item. It is such autopilot that I can't remember the exact wording. Then you press K8 to keep defecting that item. It will then ask you for the next item if anything is wrong. Defective stickers (ESIM, CRC, Etc.,) will print out. Unless it is part of a transaction there is no way to defect something on the register.
This is helpful! I'm about to go in at 12:30! I'll definitely try this and see if it works.

Defective labels should be as close to the barcode as possible, but not over the barcode.
They should ideally also not cover the DPCI.

On clothing items or other fabric things, best practice is to use a blank tag and the tag gun and attach the defective label there, as opposed to the actual item as it'll fall off if adhered directly to the fabric.

View attachment 11784View attachment 11785View attachment 11786
Do you have an order number for those blank tags? How about a picture of the box? Never seen a damn blank tag in this store. I've been using unpeeled sticky tags and reinforcing with tape. I think I might be the only person in this place who knows how to use an attachment gun, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Do you have an order number for those blank tags? How about a picture of the box? Never seen a damn blank tag in this store. I've been using unpeeled sticky tags and reinforcing with tape. I think I might be the only person in this place who knows how to use an attachment gun, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Oof no I don't. My new store doesn't have any; this was at an old store of mine. I'll look!!

Just say if something is wrong when you return the item. It probably takes me 2 seconds to defect out the item while I’m in the return compared to after using a mydevice which takes 2 minutes. When you scan an item it will ask if anything is wrong with the item. Press K3 if nothing is wrong. Press K1 if anything is wrong. If it's an ESIM item it will ask if it has a broken lid. If it does press K1 for yes; if not press k3 for no. Then press K8 to print the defect label. If you say the first item is not defective it will not ask if any of the future items are defective. If an item is defective and you didn't get the prompt to mark it as defective press K6. If it's an ESIM item it will ask if it has a broken lid. If it does press K1 for yes; if not press k3 for no. Then press K8 to print the defect label. If you chose the wrong selection on a defect page, once done press k6 to go back and change whether or not the item is defective. For pharmaceuticals and grocery items it will automatically force you to defect them out. For pharmaceutical items it will ask if it's an ESIM item it will ask if it has a broken lid. If it does press K1 for yes; if not press k3 for no. For grocery items if it's a cooler, freezer or an item that has been opened first press K5 so it overrides to toss instead of donating it. Then just press K8 to print the label. Certain 3rd party items from target.com will force you to automatically defect out the item, for those items just press k8 and it will print a sticker. If a sticker doesn’t print go on a mydevice and scan the item then go to the defect section. Then go to print prior labels from pos and it will then allow you to print the defect label. If you want to override to toss a return once you get to the final page before printing the label press k5 it might ask if it’s esim then press k8 to print the label. If a clothing item doesn’t have a tag after you get past the defect prompts you will get a prompt asking if it has a rfid tag. If it doesn’t press k3 then after the transaction is over it will print a tag for the item. If you say it does have a tag then it won’t print one later. If you say it does have a tag but really doesn’t press k6 and go back through the defect page and it will ask you again if it needs a tag. Once you are done with the return all clearance labels will automatically print and if you said you needed a tag it will print as well. The system was designed perfectly you just have to learn how to use it. This explanation will seem very confusing if you don’t understand the return system.

The defect system on the POS was nice but it’s not even needed just learn how to defect out while in the transaction. Don’t waste your time doing it later. I have learned the patterns of the buttons I need to press for every situation. It takes me literally less then a second to choose what I want to do with the item while in the transaction. I don’t use my device to defect items or print labels I just do it all while in the transaction and it’s so efficient and fast. One last thing I forgot to add above. Once you get to the final defect screen where it has you print the label if you press k1 it will mark it as not defective. Certain target+ items must go back to the vendor no matter what the item is or the condition it’s in.

One last thing I forgot to add on the defect screen when it asks if anything is wrong there is also a k2 option for most items which allows you to print a repackage label for the item. The label will print after the transaction is over. I did this all from memory but I think I got every point. Make sure all your printers always have charged batteries and are working. Good luck, start just using the prompts on the screen it’s there for a reason.

Back