Benefits Desired Hours and Benefits Eligibility

ION the Prize

GM Pusher
Yesterday my ETL asked me to change my desired hours from 25 to 22.

He didn't give me an explanation and I didn't ask for one. What I did tell him was that I needed the 25 hours to stay eligible for health benefits.

He told me that they aim to schedule every team member for 20% more hours than their desired hours, so it wouldn't be a problem.

I didn't really understand, but, sure, okay, as long as I stay eligible for healthcare.

I made the change in myTime, and the next time I saw him he was talking to our HR ETL. I told him (and made sure that the HR ETL heard me tell him) that I had made the change. He seemed very pleased.

I reiterated that I was agreeing to do this with the understanding that I would still make the 25 hours needed to stay eligible.

His reply seemed to confirm this, and the HR ETL didn't say anything at all.

So, is this legit?

This seems sketchy to me. If your desired hours are 25, then that's what you should have in the system. It sounds to me like your ETL gave you a plausible sounding line to get you to reduce the hours you want (for some unnamed reason). There's nothing to stop them from scheduling you less because "that's what's in the system."

Yesterday my ETL asked me to change my desired hours from 25 to 22.

He didn't give me an explanation and I didn't ask for one. What I did tell him was that I needed the 25 hours to stay eligible for health benefits.

He told me that they aim to schedule every team member for 20% more hours than their desired hours, so it wouldn't be a problem.

I didn't really understand, but, sure, okay, as long as I stay eligible for healthcare.

I made the change in myTime, and the next time I saw him he was talking to our HR ETL. I told him (and made sure that the HR ETL heard me tell him) that I had made the change. He seemed very pleased.

I reiterated that I was agreeing to do this with the understanding that I would still make the 25 hours needed to stay eligible.

His reply seemed to confirm this, and the HR ETL didn't say anything at all.

So, is this legit?
Your ETL is wrong or lying. Stores are supposed to shoot for 80% of your average hours. At 25 hours, scheduling you for 20 would give them a green metric. At 22, they only need to give you 18.

There is no reason for anyone to ask you to reduce your desired hours. It can only be a benefit to someone who wants to give you fewer hours.

Hm.

I guess I'm just too gullible.

Now about this swamp land in Florida that I bought yesterday ...

Nah, I think your ETL is feeding you a line. Lately, I've been consistently scheduled for fewer hours than my desired hours (which is to be expected at this time of year). And no one has asked me to change my number of desired hours.
I'd change it back.

Set your desired hours to what you want, not what your ETL wants. They have to be within 20%, but it's over or under, which could be 18 hrs as others have alluded to
They have taken away the 20% over. If desired hours are 20, you need to be scheduled 16 hours minimum to be green. 40 hours would also be green now.

They have taken away the 20% over. If desired hours are 20, you need to be scheduled 16 hours minimum to be green. 40 hours would also be green now.
Oh dang, this explains what I've been seeing on the schedule lately. Some of my team have been brutally overscheduled and it's a pain in the ass trying to clean that up every Wednesday. Oh look it's Wednesday lol.

The way your store sounds I'd be changing my desired hours to 30 just in case. That way you're at least more likely to stay at/near the 25.

They're probably planning to schedule people lower than the 25 now and, when questioned about benefits, figure they can say they'll make up for the average when it's Q4 and everyone is getting 40 hours+

Back