Archived Did I do the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow how did this thread get out of control? Well I guess we started with a comment about a "colored boy" so I guess I shouldn't be surprised how it spiraled to where its at now :)

I think SoT may be a bit heated but is trying to bring up some points... First, racism is a term used too loosely today! Go look up racism in the dictionary before you go using it in a sentence (this is more directed at the public, not to anyone in this thread)... It is the belief that something in another race makes them inferior to others, generally making your own race the superior in comparison! Most people seem to apply the term racism to anything pertaining to race though... which I think is what we were talking about! Calling someone a "colored boy" or person, girl, man whatever isn't racist! It is not a phrase that implies that he is inferior to the GSA because she spoke it... However, it is a phrase that can come off as patronizing (simply the pairing of colored and boy I think is what causes this)... If it were, "Yes could you take this item to the colored woman who is cashiering right now" it may not come off the same way! Just sayin :p

What I was trying to say is that its not if she meant it in a racist manner or not, the only thing that is going to matter is what the guest walking behind her thinks.
I'm willing to bet that most of them will think it's racist especially if they're black.
Ms. Corvus has called me on my phraseology on a number of occasions.
As I'm sure most of the folks here can tell I'm very pro civil rights, grew up with activist but I also tend to be a bit blunt and don't always think about how things are going to sound to other people.
I don't get to be outraged and say "I didn't mean it that way, you can't be upset with me."
It's my job to be aware of why what I said would be hurtful and be more careful in the future.

Last edited:
You know what? Screw you. I didn't spend 4 years in the air force to listen to some punk tell me to shut up while he convicts someone without a fair chance to explain themselves. Maybe if you wore your countries uniform you'd have more respect about our fundamental rights before you spit on them. I've earned a right to stand up for someone being unfairly treated. Maybe if you had the balls to serve you would too.

The fact is, none of you know what was in this person's heart. You don't know her, and you weren't there.

It absolutely disgusts me to see people who never served their country a day willing to disregard something so fundamental. But hey, go ahead. I guess I wasted 4 years so scum could sit around and try and convict someone based on one phrase. That is your right after all.

If you truly DID spend 4 years in the Service, you should know good and well this behavior is NOT tolerated. Period.

Before you try to berate me ranting that if I served I would know better, I did 20 years in the Air Force and retired. Beat that.

If you truly DID spend 4 years in the Service, you should know good and well this behavior is NOT tolerated. Period.

Before you try to berate me ranting that if I served I would know better, I did 20 years in the Air Force and retired. Beat that.

Sot did say he was sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back