Archived difference between a TL & Sr.TL?

• Thread starter TargetHopeful2012
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 5K
  • Tags
    tl
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TargetHopeful2012

Other than pay, is there a difference in responsibilities? same thing for ETL vs senior ETL, etc

Very much so.

Sr. TL works LOD shifts, is a full key carrier, and is ultimately expected to perform well above and beyond a TL.

Other than pay, is there a difference in responsibilities? same thing for ETL vs senior ETL, etc

Senior TLs perform LOD shifts. This means that the are allowed to run the store without an ETL in the building. They are thus responsible for locking/unlocking doors, setting the alarm, handling the cash office as far as letting people in/out etc.

Do not make the mistake of thinking Sr TLs are the same as ETLs. Compared to ETLs, they can NOT do the following:

*Terminate TMs. (they can recommend/be a part of the process, but they can not do it alone.... an ETL *must* sign off on it)
*Investigate harassment complaints without an ETL being involved
*They have less access on workbench compared to an ETL, particularly when it comes to HR areas of workbench. (they have lots of access, but not as much)
*They are not allowed to be classified as non-exempt. I.e. they will always be hourly, not salary.... and thus usually are restricted to 40 hours no overtime like everyone else.
*They do not get direct control over a large area of the store. They only have direct control over certain departments like a regular TL. For example, no Sr TL will ever be in charge of all of hardlines like an ETL-HL.
*Technically they are not supposed to be privy to AP investigations unless it directly involves them - i.e. something is going down while they are LOD. Most stores are flexible with this, however.
*They are *not* equal to an ETL in terms of authority. If an ETL gives a Sr TL an instruction, the Sr TL has zero ability to override the ETL and must do what they are told. (there is some exception to this if the Sr TL is LOD at the time, but 99% of the time an STL will back an ETL over a Sr TL if the ETL wants something done that the SR TL doesn't agree with even if the Sr TL is LOD)

at my store they do more then LOD shifts, they actually make schedules for TM

at my store they do more then LOD shifts, they actually make schedules for TM

This is not anything unique to Sr TLs. It is totally up to the STL how the schedule is made. Some stores have TLs do it for their departments, some stores have the ETL-HR do it..... It just depends.

And just to hit your second question, regarding ETL/Sr.ETL... It's a distinction generally based on two things: importance of the area they're in charge of, and readiness to promote to the next level (be it STL or a District Partner of some sort). Obviously the two things go hand in hand--you don't give a position like Sr. Merch to an ETL who isn't ready to move up to the next level, because it's such an important role. ETL-Food is a similar position, I think many (most?) ETL-Ops tend to be Sr.ETL positions, and ETL-Remodel is, as far as I'm aware, always a Sr.ETL position. Now, I don't necessarily mean to say these positions are only for ETLs who have already been signed off for a promotion (though they often have been); I also mean to include ETLs who are ready to promote in their STL's eyes but maybe still need to prove themselves to the DTL by taking on such a high-profile role. So it's sort of used as both a parking position for people who are signed off for promotion and awaiting an opening, and as a proving ground for people who are looking to get signed off. Obviously higher pay comes with the increased responsibilities, etc. etc.

(And, to answer a related-but-not-yet-asked question: No, Sr.ETL is not likely to be an entry-level position unless you have extensive experience in the field, regardless of education. And even then, the qualifications for it are essentially the same as the requirements for STL-level positions, so if they're confident a candidate has what it takes, they'll likely just hire them as a bench STL until a store opens up.)

*They do not get direct control over a large area of the store. They only have direct control over certain departments like a regular TL. For example, no Sr TL will ever be in charge of all of hardlines like an ETL-HL.

But what about a regular TL in charge of an entire class of departments (HL or SL)....?

But what about a regular TL in charge of an entire class of departments (HL or SL)....?

As in a ULV store? Regardless of store volume, a SrTL would only own an area the same size as that owned by a TL. Example: at my store, we have two hardlines TLs and two hardlines SrTLs. Each one owns a block of hardlines (except the one who owns domestics, he gets two blocks). In a ULV store, though, there is probably only one TL or SrTL on each side of the floor, so each one would own the entirety of their respective side.

I actually asked an ETL once as LOD if they could help clean-up a code brown in the mens room and they put up a huge fuss, as far as, me asking them to do something and our STL went to the ETL and told him that I was in control of the building and that anything I asked of him, he had to do. The ETL didn't like that to much. my STL said if i told him to clean it with a toothbrush he would have stood behind me. The power of Sr. TL depends on each store.... LOL

The ETLs at my store are like the popular clique from high school. SrTLs are treated like freshmen.

The ETLs at my store are like the popular clique from high school. SrTLs are treated like freshmen.

this is exactly true....

and the SR TL get many of the awful shifts, like closing 5 nights in a row.

Try doing that while keeping up with everything else you have to do.

And when the ETL's suddenly have meetings, or their schedule changes at the last minute, guess who has to adapt?

I actually asked an ETL once as LOD if they could help clean-up a code brown in the mens room and they put up a huge fuss, as far as, me asking them to do something and our STL went to the ETL and told him that I was in control of the building and that anything I asked of him, he had to do. The ETL didn't like that to much. my STL said if i told him to clean it with a toothbrush he would have stood behind me. The power of Sr. TL depends on each store.... LOL

While it is technically true that a Sr TL who is LOD outranks an ETL as long as they are LOD, it would be incredibly stupid to start telling ETLs what to do.... especially if they are opposed to it.

In the end, your ETLs are still the ones who write your reviews, decide whether or not to put you on corrective action, and ultimately control how long you will be working for Target.... An ETL may tolerate a Sr TL telling them what to do once or twice, but beyond that..... they are probably going to put you on their "people I will try to term" list, and chances are any ETL that is buddy buddy with that ETL is going to do the same thing.

So it may be fun to tell them to clean up sh** and get the STL to back you, but I suspect it won't be fun when you start getting an IE for a review every year and ETLs start writing you up every time a TM goes on meal compliance....

Honestly you really can't blame them. Let's pretend a TM kept trying to do a power play with you..... Say that everytime you give them an instruction, they go to an ETL and get the ETL to override you. Wouldn't you go out of your way to nail that TM to the wall the second they made a mistake you could write them up for?

While it is technically true that a Sr TL who is LOD outranks an ETL as long as they are LOD, it would be incredibly stupid to start telling ETLs what to do.... especially if they are opposed to it.

In the end, your ETLs are still the ones who write your reviews, decide whether or not to put you on corrective action, and ultimately control how long you will be working for Target.... An ETL may tolerate a Sr TL telling them what to do once or twice, but beyond that..... they are probably going to put you on their "people I will try to term" list, and chances are any ETL that is buddy buddy with that ETL is going to do the same thing.

So it may be fun to tell them to clean up sh** and get the STL to back you, but I suspect it won't be fun when you start getting an IE for a review every year and ETLs start writing you up every time a TM goes on meal compliance....

Honestly you really can't blame them. Let's pretend a TM kept trying to do a power play with you..... Say that everytime you give them an instruction, they go to an ETL and get the ETL to override you. Wouldn't you go out of your way to nail that TM to the wall the second they made a mistake you could write them up for?

Although I see your point..... I have a great relationship with all my ETL's. I have gotten nothing lower than a Excellent on all of my reviews. SO it depends on how you approach the situation when then need arises. As LOD if there is something that needs to get done, in my opinion anyone and everyone is fair game. Ive actually told my ETL's before that if they don't want to do a task from the walk, that I'll do it myself and they can be LOD. That usually changes their minds. They hate being LOD for some reason. It's all about having a good relationship with your ETLs and they will pretty much do anything for you.

Although I see your point..... I have a great relationship with all my ETL's. I have gotten nothing lower than a Excellent on all of my reviews. SO it depends on how you approach the situation when then need arises. As LOD if there is something that needs to get done, in my opinion anyone and everyone is fair game. Ive actually told my ETL's before that if they don't want to do a task from the walk, that I'll do it myself and they can be LOD. That usually changes their minds. They hate being LOD for some reason. It's all about having a good relationship with your ETLs and they will pretty much do anything for you.

So true...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back