I'm Lost! Disappointed & its only my first day.

So I applied for sales floor position, mainly beauty or style. I got my interview, for a second interview. I got “hired” for a beauty consultant role, my job offer states beauty consultant. Then orientation comes around, all of my orientation paper work days “guest advocate”, but all my online training said “beauty consultant.”
And I go in today and am informed that the cash registers will be my new “home.”

I DONT want this. I don’t want a cashiering position, which is why I applied for sales floor? I did cashiering tonight and I remember why I didn’t like it at any other job I have had.

It will be my second day tomorrow and I’m not sure what to do. 🙁 I was really hoping I would actually be a beauty consultant because I love makeup.

Try to keep cashiering until you find other employment, unless you still live at home. In that case, don't even go back. Spend your time putting in applications!

Try to keep cashiering until you find other employment, unless you still live at home. In that case, don't even go back. Spend your time putting in applications!
Unfortunately, I don’t live at home anymore. I have been putting in applications since I got home. I’m a bit disappointed. I don’t know that they have any openings for beauty as it’s not listed on the board in the back room, but it’s listed on the website as a non-seasonal position. But thank you!

Unfortunately, I don’t live at home anymore. I have been putting in applications since I got home. I’m a bit disappointed. I don’t know that they have any openings for beauty as it’s not listed on the board in the back room, but it’s listed on the website as a non-seasonal position. But thank you!

Ignore Kartman. I would Express interest in beauty to your TL and find out who the TL is over beauty to talk to them too. Once you master guest service advocate then you should be able to switch if everyone agrees to it.

I think I’m going to approach HR tomorrow about it, but I’m just disappointed still. I didn’t expect to be this disappointed, but I am. Cashiering is absolutely the worst and I don’t know how I would get through it without wanting to pull my hair out. 😂😬

And honestly, the front end wouldn’t be so bad, except from what I’m told, “guest advocates” do anything from cashiering to Starbucks to guest service. If I was guest service or Starbucks, I wouldn’t mind that so much either. Just cashiering, I can’t stand because you literally can’t do anything and I get so antsy!

So I applied for sales floor position, mainly beauty or style. I got my interview, for a second interview. I got “hired” for a beauty consultant role, my job offer states beauty consultant. Then orientation comes around, all of my orientation paper work days “guest advocate”, but all my online training said “beauty consultant.”
And I go in today and am informed that the cash registers will be my new “home.”

I DONT want this. I don’t want a cashiering position, which is why I applied for sales floor? I did cashiering tonight and I remember why I didn’t like it at any other job I have had.

It will be my second day tomorrow and I’m not sure what to do. 🙁 I was really hoping I would actually be a beauty consultant because I love makeup.
Everyone first starts getting trained on the register for their first few shifts and then they start with their actual department because everyone needs to know how to use the register if they are called to backup. You should have asked your hr, the person doing the interview if you were concerned. But for tomorrow you can just go in and ask hr when you will start in beauty.

Everyone first starts getting trained on the register for their first few shifts and then they start with their actual department because everyone needs to know how to use the register if they are called to backup. You should have asked your hr, the person doing the interview if you were concerned. But for tomorrow you can just go in and ask hr when you will start in beauty.
I’m curious about this because on things online it now says “guest advocate” as my role. 😬 I guess I’m just a little bit annoyed.. Hiwever, if I wanted a straight up cashier position, I would have just as easily applied and THAT’S what bugs me. I had gotten a job offer from Walmart (I know, probably worse lol) for a full time fitting room attendant, but I chose Target because it’s closer and I walk to work, usually, plus the pay is $1 more. I kinda wish I would have taken the WM job, at least I wouldn’t have needed to be a cashier. 😅

I had gotten a job offer from Walmart (I know, probably worse lol) for a full time fitting room attendant,
I would check and see if that position was still available. Walmart may pay less, but it's not that much less when you see the hours they give you. You will make more...

I would check and see if that position was still available. Walmart may pay less, but it's not that much less when you see the hours they give you. You will make more...
That’s another thing I’m super worried about. I have some loans, rent, credit cards, the whole nine and I feel like I won’t be able to afford all of this stuff with my Target job. I was told I could get up to 30 hours weekly (?) when I believe their full time is 35 average hours per week or something like that? maybe 32? And just today, they were calling team members to see if any of them wanted to cut down on their hours because it would “really help them out.”
Pay doesn’t matter as much if I don’t get sufficient hours but I have heard better things of Target than I have Walmart, which kinda scared me away.

I was told I could get up to 30 hours weekly (?)
When I hear that I cut it in half then divide by 2. That may sound harsh, but it can actually be the truth.

If you're an average peon at Spot, expect a non-livable take-home pay. Just the facts, ma'am...

Spot is a part-time job. A very part-time job. That works for some people.

Tarshit does dick moves like this all the time. They lied to me to get me to get me in the Pizza Hell by saying it was only gonna be two days week and that I was still be in grocery but instead it was all Pizza hell shifts and no more grocery shifts. Why did they fucking lie to me? Also they said wouldn't close but that was like also a lie!!!! I would not have said yes other wise.

Last edited:
That’s another thing I’m super worried about. I have some loans, rent, credit cards, the whole nine and I feel like I won’t be able to afford all of this stuff with my Target job. I was told I could get up to 30 hours weekly (?) when I believe their full time is 35 average hours per week or something like that? maybe 32? And just today, they were calling team members to see if any of them wanted to cut down on their hours because it would “really help them out.”
Pay doesn’t matter as much if I don’t get sufficient hours but I have heard better things of Target than I have Walmart, which kinda scared me away.

No one is guaranteed full time at Target unless they're a TL or above. Whoever told you you'd get 30 weekly was probably trying to avoid a confrontation if you're looking for full time but they can't offer it.

When I hear that I cut it in half then divide by 2. That may sound harsh, but it can actually be the truth.

If you're an average peon at Spot, expect a non-livable take-home pay. Just the facts, ma'am...

Spot is a part-time job. A very part-time job. That works for some people.
I’m beginning to realize that, unfortunately. I am scheduled yesterday (4) hours, today (5) hours, and next Monday (5) hours. Oh, and orientation was like (4) hours. So a total of 18 hours for my first training weeks feels like it might be a good indication of how it will be. 🙃 HR said that that the training hours aren’t going to be based on how many hours you’ll actually be getting or something like that. I think the schedule comes out today if I’m not mistaken? I guess I will see then. If it’s not worth my time, it’s not worth my time. I don’t want to have to juggle two jobs and if that is the case - I might just look into a temp to hire agency.

No one is guaranteed full time at Target unless they're a TL or above. Whoever told you you'd get 30 weekly was probably trying to avoid a confrontation if you're looking for full time but they can't offer it.

I know, I think they put that as a guideline and a guideline only. They probably factored taking shifts into account because there seems to be a lot of shifts up for grabs currently..
Tarshit does dick moves like this all the time. They lied to me to get me to get me in the Pizza Hell by saying it was only gonna be two days week and that I was still be in grocery but instead it was all Pizza hell shifts and no more grocery shifts. Why did they fucking lie to me? Also they said wouldn't close but that was like also!!!! I would not have said yes other wise.

I unfortunately feel this on a spiritual level. I’m sorry, I hope things get better for you 🥺

Back