I'm Lost! Disappointed & its only my first day.

I’m curious about this because on things online it now says “guest advocate” as my role. 😬 I guess I’m just a little bit annoyed.. Hiwever, if I wanted a straight up cashier position, I would have just as easily applied and THAT’S what bugs me. I had gotten a job offer from Walmart (I know, probably worse lol) for a full time fitting room attendant, but I chose Target because it’s closer and I walk to work, usually, plus the pay is $1 more. I kinda wish I would have taken the WM job, at least I wouldn’t have needed to be a cashier. 😅
Talk to hr about the whole confusion

First I'd check with WM to see if the position is still available; if so, go for it.
Then I'd talk to HR & tell them that you feel the job was completely misrepresented to you (dept, amount of hours).
After that fill out a voluntary termination form but ONLY after you've confirmed starting at the other job.
On the vol term form state the reason why you're leaving & keep it professional even tho they don't deserve it.

I'm an advocate and I average 30 hours a week. There are many at my store who do. We have a couple who average 40! They mostly work Guest Service though. You have to have the availability to meet the business needs and be a decent employee. I should mention that I am not always scheduled 30 hours. Sometimes I am only scheduled 20 and I have to beg people for shifts and ask my TL if I can come in early or stay late.

Some folks on this site are salty. Some have worked some shitty people. Their experience might not be yours. Give it a little time. You might not hate it. I trained one girl who was going to work on the sales floor because she thought she'd hate cashiering. Turns out that the sales floor was not a good fit for her and she asked me how she could come and be a cashier all the time.

Everyone first starts getting trained on the register for their first few shifts and then they start with their actual department because everyone needs to know how to use the register if they are called to backup. You should have asked your hr, the person doing the interview if you were concerned. But for tomorrow you can just go in and ask hr when you will start in beauty.
Beauty doesn’t backup cashier.

Sounds like the people who hired you told you what you wanted to hear. You wanted style/beauty, sure we'll place you there. You want full-time, sure we'll give you that many hours. I would expect these bait and switch tactics are fairly common with other retailers as well.

Target is pretty notorious for this kind of thing.

While WM pays less than Target, they are known for giving their employees sufficient hours.
After the holidays your hours will plummet at Target. It is not unheard of to get as low as 4-8 hours a week for weeks at a time from January until April/May.

You can attempt to talk to HR, but you'll have to take whatever they tell you with a grain of salt.

I was hired for a brand new store, planorama set up then grand opening. There were about 10 of us, all adults. Hey, something to do, a retirement gig for some of us who had real careers prior to joining Target. They then began calling us telling us to not come in for a few days! Very professional and kind of shitty as we were all anxious to get going. Not. Then....while setting up the store a few days later they started with this "can I help you"....yada yada yada bullshit! Store wasn't even opened. WTF.

Beauty doesn’t backup cashier.
At my store they do. The only person who doesn’t “back up cashier” is electronics at my store but they have mycheckout devices plus a register at their station so they still “cashier” if you think about it. They just don’t leave their zone to go to a check lane and be stuck there for 30min to an hour

Back