Archived Do guests have to write out the entire check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had a guest at the lanes ask if they could just sign the check and have me run it through. I wasn't sure, so I had them fill it out, but now I'm curious. Is this possible, or are they supposed to fill out the whole thing? Don't the readers just pull the routing number and print the total on the check? Seems like a lot of extra time writing the check for no reason.

Yes, they still must fill out & sign the entire check.
And you take it & put it in the drawer. Do NOT give it back to the guest after imprinting.
Also remember that travelers' cheques must be signed & counter-signed (there's a sig line they sign when they first purchase the cheques & the other line is signed at the counter upon use). If guests are using more than one cheque, each one must be imprinted for its amt. They are also the ONLY cheques we give change back for. With summer coming on, I'm sure everyone will be seeing lots more of 'em.

So I had a guest at the lanes ask if they could just sign the check and have me run it through. I wasn't sure, so I had them fill it out, but now I'm curious. Is this possible, or are they supposed to fill out the whole thing? Don't the readers just pull the routing number and print the total on the check? Seems like a lot of extra time writing the check for no reason.

When a guest asks me if they have to fill out a check I say, "We do not offer check imprinting like other stores, instead we offer a check card... all you do is save your check book to a card and when you swipe it, it writes a check for you electronically! Since we don't have to process any sort of paper we give you 5% off and then you save checks as well! Target prefers to either offer a check card or have you fill out a check everytime, instead of offering automatic check imprinting!"

I confirmed with my GSTL that is not important to fill out the whole check. They can skip the word amount portion. Though, the guest must sign it.

At least at my store, all checks clear as ACH transactions. The amount debited from the account is the amount the cashier types in prior to feeding in the check, even if that amount were different from the written amount.

The reason for keeping the check is to have a signed paper record. Most stores who return the check to the customer have the customer sign a receipt. Though, Target should still get paid regardless, as a imaged signed record could be found if a dispute arose.

That's correct. We've found old checks in the drawers and it doesn't matter because the amount has already gone through. Likewise, someone screwed over a guest who paid on their REDCard because they punched in 11.12 instead of 111.12 and the guest only had the smaller amount taken out.

Either way, Target will never go to automatic filling out of checks because they want people to get the REDCard instead. And frankly, it's a bit of writing. Some people are just too lazy. And those that have a hard time writing, I will gladly write the check out for them.

It's an auditing thing, yeah, all checks SHOULD be completely filled out.

But, if they forget to write out the long form dollar amount, it's fine, as the back of the check will be imprinted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back