Archived Do I have what it takes? ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really that bad? I am new to this forum and I haven’t read too many positive threads about the ETL position, or Target in general. I recently accepted an ETL position from a campus job fair and am wondering; do I have what it takes?

I have served two tours in support of both Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, in some of the harshest working conditions (120F heat in full gear, sand storms, 100+ hours weekly, and zero holidays). I graduated with top honors from my “traditional” university. I have many years of experience working with competing retailers but never in a management capacity. I currently work on a team specifically designated to solve unique corporate database issues within my organization.

Unlike most ETL’s (supposedly), I am not fresh out of college and I chose Target not because I couldn’t get another job but because I LOVE the ever changing face of retail. I also chose target because corporate America is for the birds (I actually turned down two desk jobs for Target)… I hate sitting behind a desk 8 hours a day (some people actually aspire for it) staring at a screen and only using my fingers to work.

My beliefs…
People are an organization’s most valuable assets, if you treat them with respect and work for them, they will work hard for you.
Work with your people, not against them.
Do not be a stranger to hard work, and be open to getting down and dirty with your workers.
Do not spread negativity.
Listen to your people.
Have fun.

Am I going to make it? Do I have what it takes? Any suggestions? Any advice? What say you?

I had read that already and it seems like a lot of "Negative Nancy" Bologna to me. That is one of the "Negative" posts that I am referring to. I just cannot imagine it being any worse than any other retailer. Working late into the night is expected, especially during the holiday season. Nothing I have read here is out of the ordinary from any other retailer except for maybe all the crazy lingo.

People complain about the hours? Why? I don't know too many corporate jobs that work less than 50 hours a week.

I guess I will have to see but I don't see what all the negativity is all about.

I guess I could be completely wrong and have my blinders on.

From what I gather there are stores out there where you would fit in very well.
In fact you would have been perfect for the Target of ten years ago.
However, if you walked into my store you would find yourself surrounded by jocks and cheerleaders if not straight out of college their only work experience is with Spot, with one exception.
You would find yourself the only person with life experiences that make the world any bigger than Spot.
The list you made is just the kind of boss I'd be looking for unfortunately the first two are a no go with this company.
The fourth and the fifth tend to be ignored with alacrity.
I hope this doesn't discourage you too much, I think you are the kind of boss this company needs.

I am really hoping this is true and that my district is one of them. Obviously, I have not been in the trenches with Target yet but I have met some amazing people along the way to receiving an offer. I also have a friend who is an ETL and she LOVES it but she does admit that Target isn't for everyone.

I am really hoping this is true and that my district is one of them. Obviously, I have not been in the trenches with Target yet but I have met some amazing people along the way to receiving an offer. I also have a friend who is an ETL and she LOVES it but she does admit that Target isn't for everyone.

The problem is you won't know which stores those are until you're in one and you won't necessarily be assigned to one of them.
They like to rotate ETL's to different stores and if you wind up in a store full of Barbies and Kens, if they take a dislike to you it's going to depend on how well you play politics as to whether or not you survive.
It's sad that the value of peoples work is no longer what makes them the best employee but their skill at playing the game.

Last edited:
However, if you walked into my store you would find yourself surrounded by jocks and cheerleaders if not straight out of college their only work experience is with Spot, with one exception.
You would find yourself the only person with life experiences that make the world any bigger than Spot.
The list you made is just the kind of boss I'd be looking for unfortunately the first two are a no go with this company.
I hope this doesn't discourage you too much, I think you are the kind of boss this company needs.
This x100. I've had ETL's like you come in, bust tail to get stuff done. They're like a savior to the entire team. Then, the work l

This x100. I've had ETL's like you come in, bust tail to get stuff done. They're like a savior to the entire team. Then, they work themselves to near death and they notice their peers (other ETL's) get away with a fraction of the work they do. They then seem to work less and less, while they sit in the ETL-HR office, chit chatting, more and more. All store are different, however.

They like to rotate ETL's to different stores and if you wind up in a store full of Barbies and Kens, if they take a dislike to you it's going to depend on how well you play politics as to whether or not you survive.
It's sad that the value of peoples work is no longer what makes them the best employee but their skill at playing the game.

I'm dealing with this myself right now. It really makes me question staying with this company for much longer. I bust my butt and the people who would rather stand around and chat, act like they're in high school, and pawn their work off on others are the ones who advance. (I'm a regular TL who would like to advance to ETL at some point...maybe).

The problem is you won't know which stores those are until you're in one and you won't necessarily be assigned to one of them.

What commie said is spot on, especially about if the other ETLs don't like you...you're pretty much screwed. They ran out two new ETLs at my store because they didn't "fit in".

I had read that already and it seems like a lot of "Negative Nancy" Bologna to me. That is one of the "Negative" posts that I am referring to. I just cannot imagine it being any worse than any other retailer. Working late into the night is expected, especially during the holiday season. Nothing I have read here is out of the ordinary from any other retailer except for maybe all the crazy lingo.

People complain about the hours? Why? I don't know too many corporate jobs that work less than 50 hours a week.

I guess I will have to see but I don't see what all the negativity is all about.

Sounds like you've already made your mind up...

Sounds like you've already made your mind up...

Pretty much... Obviously, I do not see what you all see because I haven't worked the job yet. I am pretty sure that if I could survive my current corporate job and the military, I can handle Target. If you were to look up my current employer on Glassdoor.com, you would see that their approval rating is well below Targets and almost every response mentions backstabbing, immaturity, and passing the buck. You always have to watch your back around here so I am sure I can handle a little Target game playing. I am hoping for the best because I have never had a bad experience working retail, yet...

How do they push ETL's out?

spot's terminates et's by performance, usually. get the job, first. 2nd choice is to go by your local spot & see how the teams are managed during day & night.

Is it really that bad? I am new to this forum and I haven’t read too many positive threads about the ETL position, or Target in general. I recently accepted an ETL position from a campus job fair and am wondering; do I have what it takes?

I have served two tours in support of both Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, in some of the harshest working conditions (120F heat in full gear, sand storms, 100+ hours weekly, and zero holidays). I graduated with top honors from my “traditional” university. I have many years of experience working with competing retailers but never in a management capacity. I currently work on a team specifically designated to solve unique corporate database issues within my organization.

Unlike most ETL’s (supposedly), I am not fresh out of college and I chose Target not because I couldn’t get another job but because I LOVE the ever changing face of retail. I also chose target because corporate America is for the birds (I actually turned down two desk jobs for Target)… I hate sitting behind a desk 8 hours a day (some people actually aspire for it) staring at a screen and only using my fingers to work.

My beliefs…
People are an organization’s most valuable assets, if you treat them with respect and work for them, they will work hard for you.
Do not be a stranger to hard work, and be open to getting down and dirty with your workers.
Listen to your people.
Have fun.

Am I going to make it? Do I have what it takes? Any suggestions? Any advice? What say you?

my old ETL was exactly like that, he was the best before he got promoted, now we have ETLs who dont do $hit and abuse their authority half the time.

whatever you do, PLEASE dont look down on your team members, yea they could be in a sense "below you" but were all on the same boat, just remember that.

My beliefs…
Listen to your people.
Have fun.

my old ETL was exactly like that, he was the best before he got promoted, now we have ETLs who dont do $hit and abuse their authority half the time.

whatever you do, PLEASE dont look down on your team members, yea they could be in a sense "below you" but were all on the same boat, just remember that.

Hi thatguy, it's sounds like yoy gave great experience. First, thank you for your service! !!! I have worked for many retailerd. Target pay is very low. I'm sure it does depend on the size of the store, but our ETLs only make $40 to $45k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back