Archived Do new team members get less hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store, spot is saying that you are under a different workcenter, you can't work it. I have some cashiers, who are awesome at reshop & cafs. Then, they get the phone call to cut the shift that they are scheduled for, after working a swap shift for hours, earlier in the week.

That almost sounds like what they warning us about with unions. One of the arguments was that if we had a union they'd insist people stick to the areas they were trained in and that we couldn't help one another and work as a team the way we do now. :-/

Which is such crap, I worked in a union grocery store and except for meat cutters, you could work any position you wanted to be trained for.
In fact cross training was as big a deal as it is at Target and was an important way to make sure you got hours.
Because you know what?
Being in the union didn't mean you had any guarantees, except for good health care and decent pay for when you did work.

That almost sounds like what they warning us about with unions. One of the arguments was that if we had a union they'd insist people stick to the areas they were trained in and that we couldn't help one another and work as a team the way we do now. :-/

You do know that video is complete bull shit right?

It certainly provided a lot of comic relief at MY store....

I just thought it was ironic is all.

To be clear, officially speaking, all hourly store employees are part time, with no guarantee of hours whatsoever (one of millions of reasons to form unions) Unfortunately how this usually works, is the better your relationship with your tl and hr, the better your chances of getting more hours. All you can do is kiss up and work obsessively hard, and hope someone that have power notices

To be clear, officially speaking, all hourly store employees are part time, with no guarantee of hours whatsoever (one of millions of reasons to form unions) Unfortunately how this usually works, is the better your relationship with your tl and hr, the better your chances of getting more hours. All you can do is kiss up and work obsessively hard, and hope someone that have power notices
i disagree. I have found that you don't need to kiss up to get hours you just need to show up bust your ass, come in when they call you and watch the swap shift board religiously and for the most part your hours will remain reasonably intact. being a kiss up just gets you scorned by your fellow team members. live honorably and eventually you will outstrip the kiss ups

Your welcome to disagree, I happen to have both personal experience for myself, as well as spoken to thousands of employees who feel you comments aren't true. I'm glad you feel you have been treated well, but many thousands would not agree with you, I'm not saying Target is the only retailer that does this, I've worked for most of them, they all do it, in fact, I'd probably go as far as saying Target is "the best" compared to Walmart, Kmart, Sams Club, Home Depot, etc.

My hr guy (etl) has been doing the schedules as of late. He says it goes by seniority and availability, so yea, news are getting less hours. It didn't seem true my first year here, since the beginning of the year, I'm getting twice as many hours as the new people.. And twice as many as my average this time last year. The only people who've been here longer than me that are getting less hours have availability set in a way that that makes sense.

I don't really know any kiss ups at my store, though. My etl likes me but it hasn't had an impact on my hours... Not even when she was doing the schedule. Only time it had an impact was Black Friday '12.. She made me open because I'm "strong" or whatever. Having her like me seems to be the reason I still have a job, though. I'm fantastic at my job, but njtransit doesn't care one bit about schedules so I'm late more often than I should be. I'm always either sitting around in the break room for an hour or I'm 6 minutes late. /tangent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back