do presidential elections really affect stock market/401k?

i was told this because my 401k was stagnant and just barely moving up under trump, but the week after joe won, it shot up to 4k within that one week. unless something else happened that i am not aware of.

11-13-2020$6,000.008.88%
10-31-2020$2,800.00-2.54%

Your 401k is long game and what you are seeing is short game. If you pulled the pin today yeah you did great but next week it could dive the same amount and you would be in a world of hurt. You need to look at data over a couple years to see what you are really growing by.

It went up bc the stock market was happy about the possibility of divided government. It also went up bc of the vaccine announcement by Pfizer. It's going through the roof today because of the Moderna announcement.

Your 401k is long game and what you are seeing is short game. If you pulled the pin today yeah you did great but next week it could dive the same amount and you would be in a world of hurt. You need to look at data over a couple years decades to see what you are really growing by.
FTFY. Yeah, it's super great to see the jump, but the great thing about 401Ks is you can make money when the stock market is high or low, as long as you leave it the fuck alone.

When the market is high, obviously, the amount you have grows faster. When the stock market is low, your principle looks bad, but the amount you spend buys you more shares, which give you more gains when the market rebounds. The trick is not to pay any attention to it when you're young, just let it do its thing.

I wouldn't.
Musk is a loose cannon who doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.
He has a tendency to do things that would make the stock swing wildly.
Unless you like living on the edge, not knowing what your money is going to be worth (well as much as gambling on the stock market ever does) Tesla probably isn't a great choice.

FTFY. Yeah, it's super great to see the jump, but the great thing about 401Ks is you can make money when the stock market is high or low, as long as you leave it the fuck alone.

When the market is high, obviously, the amount you have grows faster. When the stock market is low, your principle looks bad, but the amount you spend buys you more shares, which give you more gains when the market rebounds. The trick is not to pay any attention to it when you're young, just let it do its thing.

I was just trying to keep my explanation pretty simple. But yeah the longer you can leave it alone the better you will do.

Back