Archived Do sales floor team members have to sell the red card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiminy

I'd like to order 1 large person with extra people
Hey all, I had my interview with Target the other day and at first I applied for the cashier position, but the hiring person was really nice and admitted that the cashier position is really demanding (what with the red card sale goals and all) and they suggested that I apply for the sales floor position instead, now does this mean that I don't have to sell the red card at all or it's just not a main objective or what? I know that I could've asked this during the interview, but I'm sure you guys can understand why I chose not to.

Thanks!

-edit-
Sorry, I just realized I posted under the wrong topic

Last edited:
I've never understood why people say "sell the card". No one is buying a card. People sign up for the card. That's it. Oh and it's a card.

@Jiminy Yes you will be expected to inform guests about the Redcard. They advertise it throughout the store and encourage guests to ask a team member about a Redcard. But a cashier is judged by metrics that track Redcards and checkout speed. You won't have to worry about that part too much ;) but keep in mind...
Whenever they call for backup, it's suggested you ask, but I never do.
And shame on you @SiLENT lol

I inly ever get red cards by mistake. A couple weeks back a lady in my line had a bunch of big stuff and she didn't have a cart so I asked if she had a cart and she goes "no I don't have a card. How does it work? I get 5% off for signing up...?"

I didn't even wanna do the app because I wanted to take my break. That's probably my only redcard this year.

Edit: I mention the card when I'm on the floor if it comes up organically... Like if they ask if something is available online and how the shipping is.

Slang. I just think words like persuade or convince are better than sell. This is a retail chain store. We do not get commissions. Target isn't a car dealership.

Thanks everyone for replying. I read up a bit on this here (the "Red Card thread") and it seems like different stores have different demands... I'll just hope that my store is nice about it.

@Jackswastedlife99 Do you have something against slang? :p It was just a more concise way to write the title... "do the sales floor team members have to persuade customers to sign up for the red card?" Honestly, if I wrote that, I bet another person would be complaining about how long the title is. Right? :p

"Pitching" is probably the best word.

I only do when we are out of something, but sell it online (for free shipping) or the guest has a HEAPING cart. Otherwise I could give a damn, and it is easier to sell when you can come across as "helpful" rather than a used car salesman.

I've been confronted about it before, only to use the positive sales in my area of the store and solid green Steritech visits in my tenure as my defense, which makes a solid impression.

@Jiminy, all team members who operate a register are expected to educate guests about the Red Card. Though many stores don't like when TMs don't get Red Cards, as long as you ask every guest who's 18 or older and doesn't already have both Red Cards, you should be fine.

@mrknownothing Thanks, I have no problem asking/telling people about it. I'm actually not even that intimidated about being fired or being yelled at or whatever, but I just think that it would be really annoying to be criticized for something so "out of your control"

Some people really excell at selling the redcard. Others don't. Most have good weeks and bad weeks. But some people are VERY good at getting those redcards.

Some people really excell at selling the redcard. Others don't. Most have good weeks and bad weeks. But some people are VERY good at getting those redcards.
Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think I would be a very good salesperson :/

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think I would be a very good salesperson :/
Well that's too bad. You're moving to the sales floor. Stay away from electronics lol jk. You just have to be knowledgable and willing to take on some repetative tasks on the sales floor. The same thing goes for a cashier and every other TM position at Target though lol.

Well that's too bad. You're moving to the sales floor. Stay away from electronics lol jk. You just have to be knowledgable and willing to take on some repetative tasks on the sales floor. The same thing goes for a cashier and every other TM position at Target though lol.
Yeah, but salesfloor isn't on commision though........ is it....?

Target would never allow team members to get commissions. Ass fucks in corporate would never allow that because it would shrink their bonuses and that can't happen. One can dream.

Sales floor teams have to zone aka clean up destruction by guests in each aisle, serve guests, go up to the registers and cashier so guests don't bitch about waiting in line too long(waiting is a part of life), and responding to wonderful call buttons.

Note to self: trademark "waiting is a part of life"

Waiting is a part of life means that sometimes in life you have to wait in line for something. Convenience is a luxury, not a right.

When I work on the sales floor, the majority of guest questions are "where is so-and-so located?" or "how much is this?" It's rare that I actually have to sell a product, but every once in a while, I'll get someone who wants to know EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL. about that Shark vacuum. Electronics, of course, is a whole 'nother animal and I avoid it like the plague.

Hint: If you don't know the product and the packaging doesn't give much (if any) info, use the Target app on the MyDevice to scan or search for the item and pull up the Additional Info or Product Details or whatever it's called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back