Archived Do they make backroom tms at your store respond to backup at the lanes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store, If back-up is called, it is expected that all team members respond.... If all hands on deck to the lanes are called and your not with a guest you bet your butt my back room team members are on register.... I don't care if their in the middle of the twelve o'clock CAF pulls or pulling pallets down for a vendor... My team, understands the importance of the guest and that they come first.... If we don't have guests that shop, we don't have a job....

At my store, If back-up is called, it is expected that all team members respond.... If all hands on deck to the lanes are called and your not with a guest you bet your butt my back room team members are on register.... I don't care if their in the middle of the twelve o'clock CAF pulls or pulling pallets down for a vendor... My team, understands the importance of the guest and that they come first.... If we don't have guests that shop, we don't have a job....

That's funny..

My backroom team doesn't because they are on a different channel on the walkies. Occasionally we get an etl to ask us to grab a callbox. There is a big push to get everyone trained on the lanes so even my backroom team is getting trained although (at least for now) they wont respond unless out on flow team for the day. Every other team is expected to respond. O and if pharmacy ever gets ahold of you to get trained over there then you not only back the lanes up but pharmacy as well...

I had a superstar backroom TM - he would often finish his backroom closing duties with a few minutes to spare. He'd bring up one-spot for the next morning's cashiers to push. Just for shits and giggles, he would jump on a register and take a guest or two just to do it for the sake of doing it.

Otherwise, no. Backroom would never backup.

We were down a cashier for a bit this morning, making for a miserable morning, and the sales floor team was getting slower and slower in responding to back up (like waiting until the LOD backed me up with a shout out on the walkie before responding). And never once was it a false alarm on my end. Anyway, I had a lot of guests milling around waiting for someone off the sales floor to come up and cashier when a backroom TM wandered out of the TSC after his break. I nearly nabbed him to take a couple of guests, but I refrained from doing so...barely.

That's amazing! My back room folks have no clue on register. I have them covered the floor, while I am on backup.

i wish ours would sometimes.. We had everyone in the store on a check lane today, except the LOD and electronics TM, and that still wasn't enough.

This particular TM is also instocks now, so he had better know how to run a register! If not, they're going to have to give him a crash course.

That said, with the PDAs down, I think today would have been an okay day for him to jump on. Oh, well.

This particular TM is also instocks now, so he had better know how to run a register! If not, they're going to have to give him a crash course.

That said, with the PDAs down, I think today would have been an okay day for him to jump on. Oh, well.

Yesterday was the day I got to fix what Plano screwed up. Labels placed in ways behind fixtures you can't scan them, or out of order. They did this through a area they just finished a huge transition in. And don't forget the missing fixtures they haven't bothered to put in. Which I had no problem finding in the disaster of our fixture room. Funny they kept saying they didn't actually have them. Also pulled out back stock and big amount of detectives.

Backroom on registers?

1386800038172.jpg

That's funny..

Glad you find it's funny...... LOL I've fired someone from the back room for not responding....

The concept of completely emptying the floor AND backroom to cashier is dumb. Guests get just as angry when they can't find help on the floor as they do having to wait in line. They get even angrier when they hit the call button and can't get help because everyone is on a lane. Pulling your backroom team to the front lanes kills any chance of helping guests on the floor and hurts your backroom process. CAFs don't get pulled in time, FF doesn't get pulled, call button times suffer because now there's NO ONE to respond, researches don't get pulled which results on outs staying outs, etc, etc.

If you have the backroom coverage to get the workload done and respond to backup cashier calls, you're overscheduling your backroom and the front lanes is suffering for it.

So what happens when they go up front only to find that there is no actually need and then have to go all the way back across the store wasting time and not being efficient. Not sure your store situation or volume but I would assume there SHOULD be several other TMs all able to go up front before backroom would have to. We are a low volume store and usually have someone in market, hardlines and softlines plus any of the other teams and the leaders as well that are available, ETL AND STL included.

At my store backroom is on a different channel so they wouldnt hear it anyway unless the GSTL called backup on both channels.

I rolled my eyes when a few TLODs have tried to make the C+S push team fight to get a walkie so we can backup cashier. I mean its not like we are pushing product that is time sensitive or anything just take away half our team, no big deal....

Last edited:
I'd figure if you're calling 'All hands on Deck' to the point that you're willing to fire some poor BR smuck for not crawling down of the Wave to come up and cashier there had better be every ETL, TL and sales floor person on resister.

I'd figure if you're calling 'All hands on Deck' to the point that you're willing to fire some poor BR smuck for not crawling down of the Wave to come up and cashier there had better be every ETL, TL and sales floor person on resister.

I have told ETL's as much when I have been up a ladder in the back. If you can see the line you can hop in and help.. I'm 10ft up answering a talkie instead of keeping three points of contact. The silence was deafening.

That's funny..

Glad you find it's funny...... LOL I've fired someone from the back room for not responding....

You sound like a terrible person. Should be an STL in no time.

Guys, its all about the Vibe and being bold now-a-days.... Every Team Member regardless of were they work need to support our guests. In my building I have built that culture with my team and my 97% vibe score speaks to that. Did I want to fire someone for not feeling the Vibe or helping our guests, absolutely not..... But if we as team member's not support our guests we will all be out of jobs in 10 years. I'm sorry you think I am a terrible person, but I enjoy my job and will protect by job, by driving sales and having a friendly and guest oriented team... So if that means I need to manage the Talent of someone whose not meeting the needs/expectations of the company then, thats what I am going to have to do...

Guys, its all about the Vibe and being bold now-a-days.... Every Team Member regardless of were they work need to support our guests. In my building I have built that culture with my team and my 97% vibe score speaks to that. Did I want to fire someone for not feeling the Vibe or helping our guests, absolutely not..... But if we as team member's not support our guests we will all be out of jobs in 10 years. I'm sorry you think I am a terrible person, but I enjoy my job and will protect by job, by driving sales and having a friendly and guest oriented team... So if that means I need to manage the Talent of someone whose not meeting the needs/expectations of the company then, thats what I am going to have to do...

Yep should be STL in no time. Has no clue how to really manage people.

So how do you drive sales by having no one on the floor to help guests? How do you drive sales by rolling CAF pulls? Drop the buzzwords, you're not impressing anyone here by quoting corporate propaganda.

I will say this again, if your backroom team is so heavily staffed that they can pull CAF pulls in time in addition to backing up on the lanes, you're not budgeting payroll correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back