Archived Does anyone else hate this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely hate it when a person who's in charge of the front-end undermines a team member.

Today, a couple came up with an item that rang up for about $40. It was in the clearance section, albeit without a clearance sticker, and the guests said that it was supposed about $25 since they had purchased one the other day. I asked them where they purchased it at and the said it was at another local Target. I calmly and nicely explained to them how clearances work and how they vary from store to store. They proceeded to call my explanation stupid and asked for a manager. Since the GSTL at the time was on lunch, another team member that is GSA trained came over to help. He got a PDA and scanned the item. It came up as on clearance for about $40. What was his response? Just change it. He didn't do anything else.

I know it shouldn't still bug me as much as it does, but it really ticks me off that his decision to change it completely undermined me. It made me, who was correct all along, look as if I had no idea what I was talking about. I would've been okay with him changing the price if he Vibed it out and explained that it's not what we usually do. But he didn't. It didn't send a message to the guests about how clearances don't work the way they thought it did. This is only going to lead them to try this at other stores. I know it wasn't that team members intent to undermine me. I just felt the specific way in which it was handled was poor.

And it's not something that is specific to this one time. There have been other times when I or other GSTM try to explain why the policy prevents us from doing something and a GSTL will come over and undermine them by overriding it or pulling some other strings. I just hate feeling like I'm being made to look like and idiot in front of a guest when I clearly am not.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I would like to start by pointing out that as a GSTL or GSA, we are empowered to make situational calls on large price changes, more-so than what a normal TM can do, in order to make it right for the guest. Corporate has also instructed stores to "give it to the guest" which is basically their desperate attempt to regain guests trust and loyalty by giving them whatever they want. Also, a $40 to $25 price change is well-within our empowerment rights. Now, having said that...

It sounds like your GSA could have done a much better job interacting with you and your guest. I would actually bring it up casually with his GSTL and just "inquire" about handling situations like that, and how GSA/GSTLs are supposed to handle it. Had I been the one to come over and assist you I would have made a point of building off the correct information you already shared with the guest (making a point to emphasize correct), given them a brief insight as to why clearance isn't the same as a weekly-ad item and why it isn't the same in every store, and emphasized the fact that the price of the item varies by store and in our store the current selling price is $40. In my opinion and the opinions of the higher-ups that support me, it's essential to show the guest that we as a team are on the same page, rather than demeaning a team member in an effort to help a guest. In my store we have an unspoken rule that you always try to back up your team members in front of the guest (within obvious reason), and talk later behind closed doors about what could have been done differently.

From that point, as not-brand as it might be, my course of action is basically based off the guest reaction to the information.

1) If they obviously comprehended what I was telling them and were moderately respectful, I'd say something along the lines of "this is not something we can typically offer but I can make a one time exception" and take the appropriate 30% off adjustment, or whatever clearance end it was accidentally placed on. If unspecified, always go with 30 at first. You can/should also "apologize for the confusion, as other guests can sometimes leave merchandise in the incorrect places."

2) If they cuss you or myself out or refuse to listen to our reasoning, then the selling price is $40 in this store. One item misplaced on a clearance end is most likely another guest who changed their mind and left the item on a near-by shelf. If they'd like to get the clearance price I'd be happy to check elsewhere in the area and see who has it in stock, otherwise you can always wait to see if it goes clearance in the near future. I'm sorry, but if you're going to disrespect me or my team I refuse to push the envelope for you.

Carefully choosing your words and how you present something is key to resolving guest concerns in an FFF way and will literally make or break the result.

Last edited:
Years ago, I had an experience with a guest who was wanting to buy a set of California closests. And they made it a point that they wanted a deal.

I explained to them that they could apply for the Target Red Card, and if approved they could get the 10% discount. But they kept on and on pushing for a deal. And I tell them that the sticker on the shelf is the selling price...no budging. And that was still not good for them. So the ETL-HL walks by and butts in. The guest starts bartering with them. And the ETL ends up giving the guest additional $100 off the regular price before anything else.

Boy did I look bad walking up to the front, and telling the cashier that ETL wants to give the guest $100 off, and they are applying for the Red Card.

A little off topic as it doesn't pertain to the undermining issue, bu you know what I've found often nips these "price confusion" things in the bud (9 times out 10)? If I have repeat offenders who are intentionally looking to find something obviously not on sale and claim it's on sale (and we have some that do some desperate things, like purposefully rip off the price portion of tags in softlines and claim it was on the 70% off rack or something) is I scan it with my PDA and just politely but matter of factly state, "This item is 'x' dollars. Would you like to purchase it at that price?" It's a yes or no answer. Yes they do or no they don't. If they say no, I just apologize for the confusion and thank them for understanding. I use this tactic mostly for repeat offenders because I'm more concerned with the guest who learns that we'll make it right and then starts negotiating everything in their cart EVERY TIME they shop. We're in an area that has a large culture of bargaining and deal making and for some reason this is an approach that many of our guests don't feel comfortable negotiating or pushing back on. I don't know why that is, but whatever. I find that if I just state, "I'm sorry. The item must have been in the wrong area. It's actually "x" dollars" that they'll continue to try to negotiate the price and get it at a percentage off and at some point I usually end up caving trying to 'vibe' and 'say yes.' Instead, I just give them the facts and give them the opportunity to say yes -- or no.

This happens to me all the time. Apparently people associate being younger with not knowing what you're talking about, so whenever I try to enforce company policy, guests don't believe me and tell me to call a manager down, who 9 times out of 10, always tell me to just go ahead and do whatever the guest was asking, even if it majorly deviates from our policy. On numerous occasions, the LOD will walk away before the transaction is complete, so afterwards I've had guests accuse me of trying to scam them, and I've gotten people telling me that I shouldn't work here because I know nothing. Really makes you look and feel like crap. :mad:

Our STL has empowered all of us to take care of the guest. His words were "We have cameras and reports to monitor things, so just take care of the guest."

Yet we still get calls over the walkie for price checks because that item is in the $3.49 spot, but is ringing up for $3.99. That is what PCV is for. If the stars are misaligned enough for me to be on a lane and it doesn't seem to be an off-the-wall discrepancy I take their word for it. Signs are always in the wrong spot.

Just change it. I do not understand the problem.

If you had read my original post, you would see that I was okay with changing it. I'm probably one of the most lenient people in my store when it comes to guest price challenges and helping a guest out if there's a problem with their RedCard by using a store coupon in lieu of the 5%. Heck, the only person who is more lenient than me is one of the GSTLs who will stop just short of giving the store away. What bugged me is the fact that he didn't back me up in what I was saying by re-iterating to the guest how it is supposed to work. I was undermined and made to look stupid.

If you had read my original post, you would see that I was okay with changing it. I'm probably one of the most lenient people in my store when it comes to guest price challenges and helping a guest out if there's a problem with their RedCard by using a store coupon in lieu of the 5%. Heck, the only person who is more lenient than me is one of the GSTLs who will stop just short of giving the store away. What bugged me is the fact that he didn't back me up in what I was saying by re-iterating to the guest how it is supposed to work. I was undermined and made to look stupid.

Point is to change it before a "supervisor" is called over. There is no reason to call someone over and have them change it or reiterate your statement. The point isn't in being right, it is in taking care of the guest.

Point is to change it before a "supervisor" is called over. There is no reason to call someone over and have them change it or reiterate your statement. The point isn't in being right, it is in taking care of the guest.

You're right. I should just knock off about 50% with not a single question asked. Bend over and hike up my skirt for the guest. That is the Target way.

You're right. I should just knock off about 50% with not a single question asked. Bend over and hike up my skirt for the guest. That is the Target way.

That is exactly the direction Target is going right now. Tell me how you're hiking YOUR skirt up for the guest? It isn't your money, you aren't going to lose your job and you are suppose to do it. I can understand if it's a larger difference, more items per transaction or a well known person who comes in and does it every time they shop. Hell, even if the guest is rude I could understand some hesitation, but this doesn't sound like it was the case.

Again, you clearly didn't read my post. I was very nice and respectful to the guests the entire time even when they got an attitude and they were still disrespectful to me. Naturally, I ignored their disrespect.

As for the direction Target is going right now, it's a downward spiral. For every half-hearted attempt to assuage guests, Target still imposes some idiotic policy to screw the guest over. Or things are run in such a way that it's unbelievably counter-intuitive. And it's not like it's something that just started recently. It's been going on for years now. Target has been slowly devolving into Walmart. It's just that since the hacking incident, everyone's been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, exacerbating the problem.

I read your post. You handled the situation professionally.

I agree, I haven't been with Target for too many years but the first year and a half was good. Since then I have seen a lot change and the direction they are headed is not looking good.

i get why you would be upset in the way the gsa handled it but again, you should have just made the change yourself. As a GSTL i get really tired and annoyed when cashiers continue to call me over for price changes when they know they should just change it themselves.

i get why you would be upset in the way the gsa handled it but again, you should have just made the change yourself. As a GSTL i get really tired and annoyed when cashiers continue to call me over for price changes when they know they should just change it themselves.

If it's within reason and they're nice and don't act like jerks, I do change it. I always do it this way. But when it's a $16 difference which amounts to almost 50% off AND they're very disrespectful, I am not gonna just change it. Heck, if that's the case, I should just start adjusting down $20 items to like $4.

I think the point of the OP was that his GSA made him look bad in front of a guest, which shouldn't happen. The response to something like this should be something along the lines of "We can make the adjustment!" in a FFF way, not a grumpy "just change it." that gives off the why the f**k did you call me over here impression in front of a guest.

Empowerment guidelines endorsed by the company: If the DIFFERENCE in price is $20 or less, process the price change. Why does everyone think the money is coming out of their own pocket??? Don't argue with the guest, don't call someone to verify the change, JUST DO IT!!!!! Does nobody think of how this damages our guest's image of Target? This creates a negative image in that guest's mind, and may cause them to shop us less due to perceived pricing issues. How do you know if, because of questioning that guest on that price change, the guest decides to go to Best Buy or another retailer to buy a new TV, or for their kids school clothes and supplies? If that was that guest's first time in a Target, what kind of impression would it make on them if you denied them the price change and THEY WERE RIGHT - THE ITEM WAS IN THE WRONG SPOT!!! We just lost that guest!!! People need to think big picture instead of micromanaging things. Nobody likes to be micromanaged, especially guests in our store. JUST USE YOUR EMPOWERMENT!!!! To quote a famous doctor "Just use your damn empowerment, Jim!!!"

Don't hold up the line for a reasonable pricing issue. This is why the PCV exists. After you change the price, it will pop up in the Price Audit for the LOD to work. They will go to the location and check for expired/misplaced signs, or product not stocked correctly. We'll correct any mistakes we find. If nothing was wrong and the guest was simply confused, we're okay with a reasonable change that wasn't worth inconveniencing the guest(and those behind them in line) for. If guests start taking advantage of it, we'll let Spot decide when to change the policy.

I guarantee they have enough data from past months/years of PCV. They'll be able to see how much we were changing in the past and if there's a large uptick, they'll notice. If the reasoning behind most of it is expired signs, they'll start to hold the team accountable for ad takedown. If most of the changes are for no reason, they will update the policy to make it more profitable for target. Let target decide, so the company is consistent and guests know what to expect from all of our stores.

The bottom line is that it's not worth making guests wait to make the changes. The one I posted earlier 20->0.25 was not reasonable, and store leadership can follow up. Do what's right for both the guest and target. They just want to check out promptly and without being "that guy" that's holding up the line. Target just wants to make the sale. We're not here to be the price police.

Does nobody think of how this damages our guest's image of Target? This creates a negative image in that guest's mind, and may cause them to shop us less due to perceived pricing issues. How do you know if, because of questioning that guest on that price change, the guest decides to go to Best Buy or another retailer to buy a new TV, or for their kids school clothes and supplies? If that was that guest's first time in a Target, what kind of impression would it make on them if you denied them the price change and THEY WERE RIGHT - THE ITEM WAS IN THE WRONG SPOT!!!

1.) Target is doing a fine job itself of ruining it's own image. I don't have to do anything to help with that.

2.) They weren't right and were jerks about it. I'm not paid enough to bend to the whims of rude guests. When you personally attack someone, don't expect them to be ho-hum with helping you out.

Does nobody think of how this damages our guest's image of Target? This creates a negative image in that guest's mind, and may cause them to shop us less due to perceived pricing issues. How do you know if, because of questioning that guest on that price change, the guest decides to go to Best Buy or another retailer to buy a new TV, or for their kids school clothes and supplies? If that was that guest's first time in a Target, what kind of impression would it make on them if you denied them the price change and THEY WERE RIGHT - THE ITEM WAS IN THE WRONG SPOT!!!

1.) Target is doing a fine job itself of ruining it's own image. I don't have to do anything to help with that.

2.) They weren't right and were jerks about it. I'm not paid enough to bend to the whims of rude guests. When you personally attack someone, don't expect them to be ho-hum with helping you out.
So what you are in essence saying is that you refuse to follow target's guidelines, correct??? Well, that could be considered insubordination or at the least, failure to follow instructions. You sir are part of the problem, not part of the answer. Target has deep pockets and no measly $20 price change is going to hurt Target or our employment. I work PCV on a daily basis, and I can assure you that the daily total of the price changes for MY store is usually less than $150. With sales of about $100K per day, $150 is nothing. Even if there is some fraud evident, that is what AP is there for. If one cashier is giving friends sweetheart deals, it becomes evident VERY QUICKLY on AP reports. If the same guest is doing fraudulent price changes, again, AP will be on it like stink on schnit. And for rebuttal:

1 - I agree, Target is doing a fine job ruining it's own reputation. Don't help contribute to the decline by being rude yourself to our guests and not following TARGET's guidelines.

2 - Until the time that the name of the store changes to Brazzlebub's, you were hired to follow Target policies and procedures. That is why they exist. If you claim you are not paid enough to be nice to rude guests, then I suggest you choose another career field. It is quite common in retail to have rude guests. You have to remember everyone is different. Maybe they had a bad day. Maybe they just lost their job. Maybe a friend or family member just passed away. Maybe they are just rude SOB's that don't give a damn. It is not our job to judge them, but to provide good guest service to them. If that means following Target's empowerment guidelines, then so be it. In over 12 years with Target, I have not heard of ANYONE getting in trouble for using the $20 empowerment guideline.

So what you are in essence saying is that you refuse to follow target's guidelines, correct??? Well, that could be considered insubordination or at the least, failure to follow instructions. You sir are part of the problem, not part of the answer. Target has deep pockets and no measly $20 price change is going to hurt Target or our employment. I work PCV on a daily basis, and I can assure you that the daily total of the price changes for MY store is usually less than $150. With sales of about $100K per day, $150 is nothing. Even if there is some fraud evident, that is what AP is there for. If one cashier is giving friends sweetheart deals, it becomes evident VERY QUICKLY on AP reports. If the same guest is doing fraudulent price changes, again, AP will be on it like stink on schnit. And for rebuttal:

1 - I agree, Target is doing a fine job ruining it's own reputation. Don't help contribute to the decline by being rude yourself to our guests and not following TARGET's guidelines.

2 - Until the time that the name of the store changes to Brazzlebub's, you were hired to follow Target policies and procedures. That is why they exist. If you claim you are not paid enough to be nice to rude guests, then I suggest you choose another career field. It is quite common in retail to have rude guests. You have to remember everyone is different. Maybe they had a bad day. Maybe they just lost their job. Maybe a friend or family member just passed away. Maybe they are just rude SOB's that don't give a damn. It is not our job to judge them, but to provide good guest service to them. If that means following Target's empowerment guidelines, then so be it. In over 12 years with Target, I have not heard of ANYONE getting in trouble for using the $20 empowerment guideline.

You just swung and completely missed.

I will always just change the price if it is within reason mostly because i dont want to hold up the line or deal with it but people are taking advantage of target. once they get a price changed once, they will come in again and do it again..and again .. and again because they know they can get away with changing it without question.

As a backup cashier who is a little rusty on the specifics of changing a price for a guest, I would have done the same thing OP did. I think more in percentages than set numerical amounts. If someone's buying a $150 stroller and claims the price was $20 less, I would explain that things sometimes get misplaced and sometimes sale signs are accidentally left up and state that I would make sure the signage was correct... but I would give them the lower price and, yes, check the item on the floor before returning to whatever I was doing before I jumped on a lane.

I think the moral of this thread is that Target doesn't care much about guests falsely getting lower prices and neither should you, possibly because near-minimum wage isn't worth that kind of aggravation.

I had it described as a $20/%20 rule.
If it was a costly item you were authorized to adjust the price up to $20 without having to get authorization.
For cheaper items use the %20 rule.
Granted, I didn't work cash register that often but it seemed to work for me.

The main issue the OP seemed to have wasn't the price change but the feeling of not being backed up by the GSA.
I managed other kinds of retail stores myself and dealt with that situation many times.
The main thing was to make it clear that the cashier was following the rules and hadn't done anything wrong.
You might be able to do something for them but it would be a one time only deal and it wasn't because they berated the poor employee.
Customer service is important but so is esprit de corps.

Last edited:
I am surprised to hear that you were so upset at your GSA. Being a GSA myself (who was a cashier and a guest service TM for over 2 years), I understand where both of you were coming from. You are better off asking your GSA to back you up in a situation like that. I know that I am constantly doing the work of 3 people at my store so if you are going to ask me to do a price change, I may have said the same thing as your GSA did. Not to be rude, but just because I am running around like a madman with a Service Desk issue every 3 minutes and an LOD breathing down my neck for redcards (All the while getting paid just a hair more than TMs and less than most Electronics TMs in my store). Also, I have never seen anyone get in trouble nor have I been in trouble for changing the price down on any items. But again, I would definitely recommend just politely asking the GSA to "back you up" in a situation like that or at a minimum to check the item's price on the floor. Maybe just give him a break this one time, because he works 40 hours per week, goes to school full time and has finals coming up, had his car stolen last week, and hasn't had more than 6 hours sleep in 6 days. <--- Seriously, my life. But the police did find my car! One little win, along with a $300 charge for towing it two miles and storing it for less than 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back