Archived Does Every Store Assign Sales Associates a Department to Work in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my first day of training for hardlines on Tuesday, and I was pretty stressed \: It was only a five hour shift, and the first 40 or so minutes I was kind of just shadowing because my trainer had to cover a lunch break for someone in electronics. The rest of my shift was busy and I mainly learned how pushes work and did that the whole time. Most of the shift my trainer was whisked away by guests or phone calls and things like that, and there wasn't anyone around to ask questions if needed \: Also, my trainer left work before me and when it was time for my shift to be over, I had no idea what to do or how to end it!

While we were doing push, we kind of just went all over the store, depending on the cart of products. We stocked bathroom supplies, chemicals, pet supplies, and food. Is this normal? I've been on the Breakroom a lot for tips, and it sounds like at a lot of stores people are assigned to a certain department, like toys or seasonal or something. Is that something that differs store to store?

I have a shift from 7pm-12am tonight, and since closing is at 11pm, from what I understand I'll be zoning most of the time? Does anyone have any idea of how a shift at those times will go? I'm really nervous because HR will have gone home, so I guess when I get in the store I'll pick up a walkie and announce that I'm there for training?

I'm nervous because tomorrow is my first actual day on the sales floor, without training, for an 8 hour shift. So far I don't feel ready at all \: I've read all the guides on this site, so if anyone has anything else to add, any extra tips, it'd really be appreciated!

At my store, most people aren't assigned an area. Or at least will do pushes all over, but then might tend to be assigned certain areas to zone. We do have someone who is hardlines, but I believe is also a brand member (or something) for cosmetics, so sometimes she has shifts where she only does cosmetics unless CAFs get really backed up.

We assigned TMs to specific areas when we were able to but they were also global TMs (worked entire store or wherever needed).

Also, my trainer left work before me and when it was time for my shift to be over, I had no idea what to do or how to end it!

The proper way to end your shift is similar to how Michael Scott, from The Office, declared bankruptcy; just yell as loud as you can "END WORK". The time clock will recognize your voice and clock you out.

Target does a crappy job training. It's very much a sink or swim approach unfortunately. The best way to swim is to ask questions. There will be some TM's who are more helpful answering than others. Utilize the helpful ones often. Good luck and welcome to the craziness :)

Each store is different. At my store, hardlines TMs clock in, check out their equipment (walkie, PDA/LPDA/MyDevice depending on preference and availability, box cutter), and radio the LOD and ask what they are doing. People who push CAFs have no specific areas, just push what comes onto the line, but if you're zoning, the LOD gives you a department or two and that's what you do. Zone your area, help guests, while the people on CAFs push alongside you. Usually if you're new, the LOD will pair you with another TM who will help you out. Just make sure you ask questions if you don't understand something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back