Benefits Does FMLA reset after returning to work?

My current medical leave is about to end and I received a message that FMLA for this leave was exhausted.

The issue now is I'm going to have to go out again before the end of March/deductible resetting for another medical leave. Ideally I would've rather had everything done at once but that didn't happen.

I asked my HRTM but they're NIR and didn't have an answer.

Solution
You may want to phone Target Pay & Benefits or HROC to ask.

At a previous company I worked at, we took the date your FMLA 12-week allotment started as the "reset" date. So if you took FMLA for the first time on March 23, you would not be eligible for more until March 23 of next year, regardless if you didn't use up all of the 12-week time.

The FMLA law allows companies to pick their reset dates into one of 4 ways:
  • Reset date is the date of the first FMLA usage (most common, described above)
  • Reset date is any fixed date - usually the start of Q1 / the fiscal year
  • Reset date is January 1
  • Reset date (really a start date) is the date of the leave minus any FMLA time already used in the past 12 months (second most common)
You may want to phone Target Pay & Benefits or HROC to ask.

At a previous company I worked at, we took the date your FMLA 12-week allotment started as the "reset" date. So if you took FMLA for the first time on March 23, you would not be eligible for more until March 23 of next year, regardless if you didn't use up all of the 12-week time.

The FMLA law allows companies to pick their reset dates into one of 4 ways:
  • Reset date is the date of the first FMLA usage (most common, described above)
  • Reset date is any fixed date - usually the start of Q1 / the fiscal year
  • Reset date is January 1
  • Reset date (really a start date) is the date of the leave minus any FMLA time already used in the past 12 months (second most common)

Solution
it is like attendance, FMLA used dates roll off and reload after a year. so if you used all 12 weeks, you will regain day by day once a year has passed. If you used 6 weeks, you would still have the balance to use following the same reload plan.

Back