Archived Does Target hire people full-time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired by Target on the day of the interview about a week or so ago, my background check passed, and now I'm just waiting on orientation, so I haven't been able to ask anyone from HR yet.

How much hours does Target usually give out? When I applied I asked for 20-25 hours because I thought I could only work part time, but I found out I can work full time (long story) I'm wondering if Target would give me more hours than that instead.

What are the chances they'll give a newbie in the backroom a full time job? Does Target even offer full time jobs? I spoke to a few people and they say that Target usually only gives part-time jobs.

Nope.
Unless you are hired as a ETL or maybe as a TL you are not full time.

That sucks. On average how many hours does Target give its employees?

Depends on the time of year and what position you have.
Some can be relatively consistent like flow or plano (and other specialty positions).
Others can can be all over the map.

My weekly availability is 15-20 hours for the front end. Ive been scheduled as many as 27 hours, and little as 4 hours. The 4 hr. week was in February when sales are quite slow.

You have a decent chance if you're backroom, but it highly depends on the time of year and who they have available to fill their allotted hours. They're always going to take their proven vets over you so it could just be that you have to be patient to get those hours. Even vets' hours are highly susceptible to having their hours cut if sales aren't great or if higher ups decided we can do more with less at any given moment. My workcenter is given 8 hours for one TM per day and I'm still getting time shaved off per day so flow can walk around a little longer.

Learn as many positions as fast as you can, never miss a shift and always (when possible) come in when you're called on your day off.

I average about 35 hours a week.

During your training period, you'll probably get pretty good hours (for maybe a week or two).
It's immersion-type training to throw as much at you as they can to see what sticks & how you handle pressure.
After that, hours will drop off (sometimes steeply) so take any opportunity to cross-train in other areas as Kartman says.
By learning various areas, you become 'global' (able to work any where) & you can start picking up shifts from the swap board.
Keep a change of red & khaki in your car & keep your cell phone on. Even if you have to decline a shift, thank them for thinking of you.
This helps you build a rep as dependable & available; it also helps you get noticed.
Target no longer hires 'full time' unless you're a team-lead or in a specialized area with guaranteed hrs so follow the advice given & you're gold.

Get cashier trained, that's the easiest way to get hours. For the first few weeks after you get cashier trained, call the store on your days off and ask if there are any hours to pick up. This'll get you in the forefront of the LOD's mind when they're trying to find people to come in for call offs. I've had a few TM's do this and now they're the first ones we call when somebody calls off.

As others have said, it depends on your position, but unless you're AP in a very short-handed store, don't count on it.
Most team members I talk to average 22-28 hours a week, but some are as low as 8, others in the mid 30's.

As others have said, it depends on your position, but unless you're AP in a very short-handed store, don't count on it.

You probably know this TAG, but just putting it out there so other team members understand better. AP hours come from headquarters, not the store. And the hours are pre-determined at the beginning of the fiscal year, they don't fluctuate month to month according to sales. That's why AP TM's are usually 40 hours a week, with obvious exceptions such as stores with multiple TPS who may work part-time for more flexibility. But any position like APS or APTL is guaranteed 40 every week if they want it. When I was a TPS and then Sr TPS I worked 40 hours a week for years.

I just don't want TM's to look at AP hours and try and compare them to their own. It won't seem "fair", but that's because it's an apples to oranges comparison.

irmuddled, if you are a non-TL team member then you will never officially be given full-time status. However you will have many opportunities to work additional hours, especially as a backroom team member, and even more likely if you cross-train into other departments. Like other posters have pointed out, your hours will likely fluctuate, but you do have some control over them.

You probably know this TAG, but just putting it out there so other team members understand better. AP hours come from headquarters, not the store. And the hours are pre-determined at the beginning of the fiscal year, they don't fluctuate month to month according to sales.
I had actually completely forgotten that.

Getting close to 40 hours is more of a position thing and not a "can I get a full time" thing. Team leads make their schedules and generally schedule themselves 38-40 hours. All of sales floor is built on hours that change week to week and thus need to maintain more team members in order to maintain itself during heavy weeks, but then takes cuts on smaller weeks. Cashiers are a little more consistent with more hours given to them on holidays, but they still get their hours flexed up and down based on the season. Flow team members almost never get 40 hours due to rarely working 8 hour shifts consistently enough. Many days are less then 6 hours. There are many opportunities in flow if you show that you do quick work, and if you have a flow team that is short handed. Opting to work 6 days a week helps too.

There are some team member positions that can pull a consistent 40 hours most of the time though. In stocks, pricing, and planogram team members can generally pull full time. Planogram does get the occasional light week, especially starting in February, this is where being cross trained helps as your team lead can usually get you some shifts elsewhere. At the least, they can usualy get you flow shifts pushing the truck. Also stores usually like to separate the electronics sales floor team due to keeping only knowledgeable enough TMs AND TMs that will sell attachments and redcards stationed there. That usually means you can get at least 2 electronic team members close to 40 hours, with hardlines filling in gaps for days off.

I've only been at Target for like a week and last week I probably got like 32 hours. It really depends on how busy/understaffed your store is I guess. I was initially scheduled for like 25 hours, but I was asked if I could stay longer on 2 different days.

It's 4th quarter now so getting more hours should be fairly easy (at least that's what everyone at my store is saying). Let HR and the LOD (and even the ETL maybe?) know that you want more hours.

Also, don't forget to check that swap shift board. And definitely get cross-trained so you can swap more shifts.

Unless you're a TL+, your chances of getting 40 hours are slim.
The only non-TL's at my store who get 40 are AP and SFT (based on me spying the overtime list in the TSC)

Unless you're a TL+, your chances of getting 40 hours are slim.
The only non-TL's at my store who get 40 are AP and SFT (based on me spying the overtime list in the TSC)
I pulled 38+ easily by being Flow, BR, P-fresh, Electronics, in-stocks, plano guy but yes being TL is the guaranteed hours :p. Just takes your TL liking you and others TLs liking you so they know to ask for you or ask you to stay and do more when there are callouts or unexpected things. But Q4 in my store Backroom you'll get 48 hours every week but you'll never see daylight ever again.

I was hired by Target on the day of the interview about a week or so ago, my background check passed, and now I'm just waiting on orientation, so I haven't been able to ask anyone from HR yet.

How much hours does Target usually give out? When I applied I asked for 20-25 hours because I thought I could only work part time, but I found out I can work full time (long story) I'm wondering if Target would give me more hours than that instead.

What are the chances they'll give a newbie in the backroom a full time job? Does Target even offer full time jobs? I spoke to a few people and they say that Target usually only gives part-time jobs.
I'm sorry to hear that, the only full times for ETL/TL or STL, BUT you can definitely take the part time job and quickly work your way up to a full time leader position. You will def. be able to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back