Archived Does Target not sell usb-a to usb-a cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guests will come in, and tell me they have an HP laptop with 3 usb 2.0 ports. They also have a printer with a usb 2.0 port. But I'll look online/thru electronics and can't find any old fashioned usb 2.0 cables. We only seem to have usb cables intended for phones, usb-c to usb-a, or micro usb to usb-a. (aka usb-a, but guests generally just know them as USB cables, simply).

I can't seem to find any online either..?

Last edited:
Guests will come in, and tell me they have an HP laptop with 3 usb 2.0 ports. They also have a printer with a usb 2.0 port. But I'll look online/thru electronics and can't find any old fashioned usb 2.0 cables. We only seem to have usb cables intended for phones, usb-c to usb-a, or micro usb to usb-a. (aka usb-a, but guests generally just know them as USB cables, simply).

I can't seem to find any online either..?
Makes sense those are super old and aren’t really used anymore

Figured it out I think. They can buy the Philips universal kit for 19.99. It includes usb a to usb a.

Figured it out I think. They can buy the Philips universal kit for 19.99. It includes usb a to usb a.
It’s hard to find because it’s in a shitty placement, TV Wall. It would make more sense to have it with the computer accessories or even next to the cameras, since I sell a lot to people with old cameras that took the mini-b plug.

Usb a to usb a does not exist. Usb a plug types provide power, power coming from both sides of the connection means 2 fried connections.

Printers use usb b. You will find usb a to usb b cables right next to the Ethernet cables.

Usb a to usb a does not exist. Usb a plug types provide power, power coming from both sides of the connection means 2 fried connections.

Printers use usb b. You will find usb a to usb b cables right next to the Ethernet cables.

Attachments

• BEDB7A37-2D69-4064-A59E-ACD47D639B52.jpeg
    BEDB7A37-2D69-4064-A59E-ACD47D639B52.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 9

I ment as part of the USB spec. People make crazy cables all the time that have no actual function.

Also some call for functions which just normally do not exist. Take this hdmi to component connection. It requires the component side to decode digital signals. Almost everything component has no idea what to do with digital signals. (If you search ebay you will see USB a to HDMI cables that have no conversion box, it is just a directly wired cable. They sell it knowing it is not functional and making money from those who don't complain).

Attachments

• hdmicomponent.jpeg
    hdmicomponent.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I ment as part of the USB spec. People make crazy cables all the time that have no actual function.

Also some call for functions which just normally do not exist. Take this hdmi to component connection. It requires the component side to decode digital signals. Almost everything component has no idea what to do with digital signals. (If you search ebay you will see USB a to HDMI cables that have no conversion box, it is just a directly wired cable. They sell it knowing it is not functional and making money from those who don't complain).
While I don’t disagree with that cable being bogus and I definitely know there are plenty on bogus adapters and cables out there. While USB male-male isn’t common it exists for those uncommon devices that have a usb female port and the cable is used to connect to a PC. It’s not ideal and not common but definitely exists and works.

I would be interested in seeing a device that uses usb a to connect with a host.

Then why does my computer monitor and all my TVs have a usb-a connection? I doubt they are pushing power through it.

Then why does my computer monitor and all my TVs have a usb-a connection? I doubt they are pushing power through it.

Your computer monitor has a USB hub built in and your tv has a USB port for flash drives. They both push at least .5 amps of power.

Also this.

We had them like 5 years ago.

Yes and it actually had a box with electronics still. It followed a standard called mhl, and you needed a cable based on the version your phone supported. The last mhl enabled phone I think was the Galaxy 5, although now that I look I see it was on the I'll fated note 8 which is amazing.

It is built in as part of the usb c standard thank God. Older phones I just suggest Chromecast desktop mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back