Archived does target only want etls with NO management experience?

• Thread starter target etlhopeful2012
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 17K
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the parent company is 100% relevant. It's basic economics and accounting. Explaining that, to you, if you don't get it already, would take more time than I care to spend on the topic.

Not that I mean to spread fire, but, I work for a subsidiary of McDonald's Corp... McDonalds stock has had a relatively steady down turn over the last year, stock is down 12 or 14% percent... However the company I work for has so much money coming in that they can't figure out what to do with it. They have given raises across the board and re-structured in such a way that 2/3 of the employees got a 2-3 dollar an hour raise and have come out with incentive programs that have been paying me an extra 200 a month. On top of that we have discounted the amount that we charge for our services and have started offering refunds to those that do not use our services in any given month.

Thus I work for a corporation that is not doing that amazing, but, the company that I work for and the company that writes my paycheck (hint my paycheck does not say McDonalds on it) is doing amazing!!!!!

According to glassdoor.com, SR ETLs make a low of 56K to a high of 92K, with 73K being the average.

I am aware of a SR-ETL that claimed they were making low 80s after 10+ years... If ETLs made that much I might have toughed it out at Target longer in hopes of getting that exec spot!!!!!! But I think I might leave the ETLing to my roommate!

There is no ETL that makes 6 figures. Let me say that again - there is no ETL in the entire company that makes six figures. At most, she is pulling in 50K. ETLs have pay caps just like TMs/TLs and everyone else. 6 figures is STL/DTL level pay. Target is not going to start a new hire ETL out making more than the DTL. Go over to your friend and ask her "So, how is it that you get paid more than her district manager?" Love to hear her answer.

I know of an ETL that make 6 figures. Lets just say they have been around.

Not that I mean to spread fire, but, I work for a subsidiary of McDonald's Corp... McDonalds stock has had a relatively steady down turn over the last year, stock is down 12 or 14% percent... However the company I work for has so much money coming in that they can't figure out what to do with it. They have given raises across the board and re-structured in such a way that 2/3 of the employees got a 2-3 dollar an hour raise and have come out with incentive programs that have been paying me an extra 200 a month. On top of that we have discounted the amount that we charge for our services and have started offering refunds to those that do not use our services in any given month.

Thus I work for a corporation that is not doing that amazing, but, the company that I work for and the company that writes my paycheck (hint my paycheck does not say McDonalds on it) is doing amazing!!!!!

Put the difference in a IRA!

This is off the OP original topic, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in about targets requirement that all sr tl/etl have at least a four year degree. We had a sr tl position become available at our store roughly 2 years ago. We had at least four of those who applied that had the ability to do the job, but were told they did not qualify because a four year degree was part of the requirements for the position. So what do they do? They hired in an outside person, who yes does have that coveted degree, but after 2 years cannot even read a planogram. It sad really, this gentlemen could be the poster child as to why the degree policy doesnt really work. I would take a TL with 10 years of knowledge and experience any day over these fresh off the campus kids still living with thier parents. The stupid thing is that target is actually paying these morons more then what the would probably have to pay someone who promoted from within. JMO

This is off the OP original topic, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in about targets requirement that all sr tl/etl have at least a four year degree. We had a sr tl position become available at our store roughly 2 years ago. We had at least four of those who applied that had the ability to do the job, but were told they did not qualify because a four year degree was part of the requirements for the position. So what do they do? They hired in an outside person, who yes does have that coveted degree, but after 2 years cannot even read a planogram. It sad really, this gentlemen could be the poster child as to why the degree policy doesnt really work. I would take a TL with 10 years of knowledge and experience any day over these fresh off the campus kids still living with thier parents. The stupid thing is that target is actually paying these morons more then what the would probably have to pay someone who promoted from within. JMO

Sad but a true fact. Our srtl is getting their degree in 6 months.

Your store bull shi**ted those 4 people.

Sr TL *does not* require a 4 year degree.

The fact is, your ETLs/STL/DTL simply didn't want to promote those 4 people who applied (or anyone else at your store) and they decided to hire someone from the outside instead. The fact that outsider had a 4 year degree (probably from a diploma mill like University of Phoenix) was simply a coincidence.

Saying "Oh, you don't have a degree" is a lot better (and saves everyones feelings) compared to saying "Sorry, we just don't want YOU personally for Sr TL"

Last edited:
Your store bull shi**ted those 4 people.

Sr TL *does not* require a 4 year degree.

The fact is, your ETLs/STL/DTL simply didn't want to promote those 4 people who applied (or anyone else at your store) and they decided to hire someone from the outside instead. The fact that outsider had a 4 year degree (probably from a diploma mill like University of Phoenix) was simply a coincidence.

Saying "Oh, you don't have a degree" is a lot better (and saves everyones feelings) compared to saying "Sorry, we just don't want YOU personally for Sr TL"

I actually thought that may be the case whaen I heard that was the reasoning given. Sadly, one of the applicants starting going to college- I guess thats not really sad, she can perhaps use the degree elsewhere. I myself wouldnt take a tl position with target, I have gone through the round robins and have actually been offered a tl position twice. Both times I declined as I would have had to transfer and i didnt want to travel. I am so glad That it worked out that way for me. after what I have seen, it doesnt seem like it is worth it to me. At least in my store tI seems as if a tl can never preform to the unreal expectations given, thus they get crap raises. I have gotten good raises every review, so I am now making like a dollar less then many team leams in my building, and I have none of the headache.

Last edited:
I actually thought that may be the case whaen I heard that was the reasoning given. Sadly, one of the applicants starting going to college- I guess thats not really sad, she can perhaps use the degree elsewhere. I myself wouldnt take a tl position with target, I have gone through the round robins and have actually been offered a tl position twice. Both times I declined as I would have had to transfer and i didnt want to travel. I am so glad That it worked out that way for me. after what I have seen, it doesnt seem like it is worth it to me. At least in my store tI seems as if a tl can never preform to the unreal expectations given, thus they get crap raises. I have gotten good raises every review, so I am now making like a dollar less then many team leams in my building, and I have none of the headache.
Keep on going!

Neither of our sr tl have 4 year degrees. Both have been with Target at least 10 years and started at the bottom.

What both of them have is an "Amazing" attitude. I think having a cheerleader personality is the key requirement.

Amazing ETL's coming out of this "system".

Last night (overnights), my ETL that is pretty much right out of college ended up degrading our guests at huddle by calling them lazy. Stating that all of the guests that come in this weekend for our continual Black Friday sales were and are lazy because they didn't come in on the actual Black Friday day. Leaves me dumbfounded as to how some of these people obtain the position...what's even a bit more mind boggling is that she isn't completely brand new, she did work in HR for a few months before being moved to ETL. You'd think an HR personal would have the foresight not to insult guests in front of...anyone.

Amazing ETL's coming out of this "system".

Last night (overnights), my ETL that is pretty much right out of college ended up degrading our guests at huddle by calling them lazy. Stating that all of the guests that come in this weekend for our continual Black Friday sales were and are lazy because they didn't come in on the actual Black Friday day. Leaves me dumbfounded as to how some of these people obtain the position...what's even a bit more mind boggling is that she isn't completely brand new, she did work in HR for a few months before being moved to ETL. You'd think an HR personal would have the foresight not to insult guests in front of...anyone.

Sounds to me like you misunderstood what she was doing. Sounds to me like a poor attempt to make a joke. I seriously doubt she really thought people were "lazy" because they shopped at a different time period. Probably a joke, but delivered terribly and no one got it. Just like the old "I just flew in from Chicago and my arms are so tired" joke. It is not meant to be taken literally.

I suppose its possible, but she's a very serious person. She's one of those business types of people. Doesn't interact with the team well, poor communication skills, thinks she knows best, etc. She's the talk-the-talk and push-the-paper work type of ETLs. So if she was trying to be funny, it definitely failed since she has created this stigma of serious mode every time she's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back