Archived Does your store expect cashiers to use their own smartphones when Zebras aren't available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My STL said if Target were to require you to use your phone for work then they would have to pay you for the data usage and even buy smartphones for TMs without one, hence why they don't.

I occasionally use my phone if the zebra is acting up (which is not uncommon lol). I used to use it to pull up weekly ad coupons but I can’t do that any more since they’re linked to wallet. Leadership doesn’t expect me to, but I honestly don’t mind doing it. No guest ever touches it though.

I have Firefox Focus installed on my phone in case I need to use it so I don't have to worry about remembering if I cleared history first ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I use my smartphone. It helps me stock and helps customers. I see a lot of TMs using their phones too.

I have never been asked/told to use mine but I use it at SCO a lot because it has a better search engine than the zebra. All cashiers at my store are now required to check out a walkie and a zebra so they can resolve any issues without calling for the GSTL. The older cashiers will still call for help because I don’t think anyone bothered to train them on how to use a zebra. 😒

I have never been asked/told to use mine but I use it at SCO a lot because it has a better search engine than the zebra. All cashiers at my store are now required to check out a walkie and a zebra so they can resolve any issues without calling for the GSTL. The older cashiers will still call for help because I don’t think anyone bothered to train them on how to use a zebra. 😒
Our store doesn't allow cashiers or even the SCO proctor to check out a walkie and a zebra because there aren't enough on hand. It makes resolving issues slow. Wasn't the whole idea of "modernization" to make the stores more "modern" as well as stress-free for our guests, by making it easier for "guest advocates" to be "empowered" to resolve issues right away? Not being given the equipment expected to perform one's job well isn't exactly "empowerment". My two pennies' worth.

This remains a problem at our store. I appreciate the responses.

I don't require it at all. If the devices are acting up, I'll ask them "did you use your phone?" because I use mine all the time to help guests and in my tiny SETL brain, it's the next logical step. If the answer is "I don't want to", I'll help the guest with mine and that's the end of it. I hope they don't get the impression that it's mandatory, we never address it after the fact. I actually prefer to use my phone, because I can find things on the Target app on my LTE a whole lot faster than myWork or the Target app on the Zebras.

I can find things on the Target app on my LTE a whole lot faster than myWork or the Target app on the Zebras.

Yes, this. Particularly if I'm looking up something that is available in other sizes or colors. Since I'm an iPhone user, I'm just more familiar with the iPhone app vs the Android one.

And I kind of relish the idea of messing with any algorithms Target for recommendations and whatnot based on search history.

If the devices are acting up, I'll ask them "did you use your phone?"

That right there gives an expectation that they need to use their phones before getting your help. You may not mean it that way, but imagine not wanting to use your phone but your boss says "Did you use it?" when you request assistance. The unspoken message said quite loudly is using the personal phone is part of the job duties.

That right there gives an expectation that they need to use their phones before getting your help. You may not mean it that way, but imagine not wanting to use your phone but your boss says "Did you use it?" when you request assistance. The unspoken message said quite loudly is using the personal phone is part of the job duties.
I think it depends on the tone they asked in. If it was snappy or stressy it would convey the TM should use their phone. If they asked calm and neutral it would appear they are looking for the next step. If I have to find the DPCI for say an accessory I’m using my phone and never a zebra. My phone just runs a lot faster plus the Leaders can see I’m doing everything possible to remedy a situation. However, after about 5 minutes and zero luck it’s going to either get handed off the S&E or tossed in salvage, totally depends on the item.

I prefer using my phone over the zebra for the reasons already mentioned. I'm connected to Target WiFi so with my plan I'm not using data. Costs me nothing and makes things easier.

If they asked calm and neutral it would appear they are looking for the next step.

That's right, the next step being the phone. Words like that, tone doesn't really matter. "Did you use it?" has a yes or no answer, with the assumption that you should have exhausted that possibility before moving on to the next step.

Honestly, since the phones are personal and Target's not paying the bill, all leadership and all trainers should not mention phone use at all when it comes to company business. Speak to someone about texting on the floor, yes. Asking if a TM used their phones to help a guest, totally inappropriate unless Target or leadership pays the bill and the cell phone replacement cost.

That's right, the next step being the phone. Words like that, tone doesn't really matter. "Did you use it?" has a yes or no answer, with the assumption that you should have exhausted that possibility before moving on to the next step.

Honestly, since the phones are personal and Target's not paying the bill, all leadership and all trainers should not mention phone use at all when it comes to company business. Speak to someone about texting on the floor, yes. Asking if a TM used their phones to help a guest, totally inappropriate unless Target or leadership pays the bill and the cell phone replacement cost.
That’s not how I read it. I read it as a simple yes or no, if the answer is no, then the GSTL would pull the zebra... they just want to know if you did it or not

I can agree to disagree on this. While Target isn’t paying my bill they are giving me 20% and I appreciate that. I also only use my phone by my own choice. I’ve never once felt pressured to do it by a Leader.

Yes, they encourage us to use our phone as an additional resource if adds to the guest service experience. It can be valuable at times, even when the Zebra is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back