Archived Does your store offer a competitive wage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store is a complex with other stores. 2 of those stores are major national brands known for offering high starting salaries. We have people here for 10+ years not making what people just starting out there are making. I heard that Target surveys the area to determine starting salaries- they can't have done that in a while. I'm starting to feel like a sucker for staying.

Nope, not even close. It is neither competitive, nor living. A competitive wage would be several dollars more, and a living wage would be more than double what it is for the area I lived in before moving. There is a popular organic food store on the next block, and over the years we have had a steady stream of TMs leave to go work there. Starting pay is several dollars higher, and that's only the tip of the compensation iceberg. If you go in there, at least a quarter of the employees at any given time are former TMs from the store I worked at.

"WHO are they competing with, China??"

LOL! But all jokes aside, Target is seriously misleading not only the potential employees, but the guests and communities that see their fliers advertising "competitive wages." How is minimum wage a competitive wage? I took this picture below last week that was posted on a check lane.

"A brand that puts guests first" - AKA, if you're a team member, you can get your ass chewed out day in and out, at no fault of your own, and we'll always take the "guests" side even when they're wrong.

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 87
"WHO are they competing with, China??"

LOL! But all jokes aside, Target is seriously misleading not only the potential employees, but the guests and communities that see their fliers advertising "competitive wages." How is minimum wage a competitive wage? I took this picture below last week that was posted on a check lane.

"A brand that puts guests first" - AKA, if you're a team member, you can get your ass chewed out day in and out, at no fault of your own, and we'll always take the "guests" side even when they're wrong.

Target's goal is to be perceived by the general public as being better than Walmart as far as store appearance & even the CEO's salary.

Target competes with the publicly maligned Walmart. End of story.

If wages were competitive, the backroom sure as hell wouldn't be getting $9.00. Same with truck unloaders. It's a warehouse job. Those DON'T pay $9.00. Many other positions are not even close to competitive with similar jobs either. But because of Target's stupid little military/goverment wannabe "paygrade" hierarchy, many people get screwed. Target is comparing itself against other companies with the same "Retail" label slapped on them, instead of comparing the actual job to the same actual job at other companies, regardless of what that company's label is (e.g. retail, etc).

Although of all the SFTs my store had who actually talked about wages, this one seemed to make a fair penny, and he hadn't even been with Target that long (i.e. not a high wage due to a billion years of annual reviews).

If wages were competitive, the backroom sure as hell wouldn't be getting $9.00. Same with truck unloaders. It's a warehouse job. Those DON'T pay $9.00. Many other positions are not even close to competitive with similar jobs either. But because of Target's stupid little military/goverment wannabe "paygrade" hierarchy, many people get screwed. Target is comparing itself against other companies with the same "Retail" label slapped on them, instead of comparing the actual job to the same actual job at other companies, regardless of what that company's label is (e.g. retail, etc).

Although of all the SFTs my store had who actually talked about wages, this one seemed to make a fair penny, and he hadn't even been with Target that long (i.e. not a high wage due to a billion years of annual reviews).

SFT is a very high-paid position at stores through out our district, from what I've heard. Same PG as senior team leader, but two of them that I've talked to have gotten experience pay.

I love how they advertise the job positions as an "career." When the only two promotions a TM can be is a TL or Senior TL. If you want to become an ETL or STL you have to be working outside the company.

Of course it's not competitive. It doesn't have to be and it will never be unless there is a union.

The average tm at my store makes in the high 8s.

Look cashiers shouldn't make 60000 dollars a year. But when people are working 30-40 hours and there take home is 12,000 dollars a year when the CEO made 28 million is not right.

Profitable companies that refuse to spread the wealth to their employees are destroying the economy. Half of my stores full time employees are on government assistance just to feed themselves.

Of course it's not competitive. It doesn't have to be and it will never be unless there is a union.

The average tm at my store makes in the high 8s.

Look cashiers shouldn't make 60000 dollars a year. But when people are working 30-40 hours and there take home is 12,000 dollars a year when the CEO made 28 million is not right.

Profitable companies that refuse to spread the wealth to their employees are destroying the economy. Half of my stores full time employees are on government assistance just to feed themselves.

I absolutely agree with you. The problem is companies think the best way to "spread the wealth" is to juice up the stock price through buybacks and by increasing dividends. This does spread the wealth to shareholders, but maybe more importantly to the top execs, who often get most of their pay in stock or options. For the workers, not so much.

Union would definitely help in terms of receiving raises that are respectable. In long-term, I don't think union is the answer to all Target problems we are experiencing as team members. However, our primary problem is low wages. If our pay is better, my stress level will go down. Sometimes I'm like for this pay rate at Target I can be flipping burgers without the need to run from one side of the store to the other because we have no one to cover electronics and guest needs assistance at XBOX. Employees at Starbucks (actual Starbucks shops) are paid little more than I do and do less -- plus get to drink expensive delicious drinks. And did I say part timers also qualify for health insurance? Target is headed towards Sears and JCPenny road.

Union would definitely help in terms of receiving raises that are respectable. In long-term, I don't think union is the answer to all Target problems we are experiencing as team members. However, our primary problem is low wages.

Union membership can help the long term issues with Target. Until all employees have control of Target. Unions will be the only choice to help lessen exploitation.

Seniors tls make some money but until u pay years of dues... u make nothing

I don't know where you live but the average sr tl is making around 30,000 at my store, which Is barely liveable in the area.

average pay for everyone excluding etls is probably 7,500 after taxes.

Union would definitely help in terms of receiving raises that are respectable. In long-term, I don't think union is the answer to all Target problems we are experiencing as team members. However, our primary problem is low wages.

Union membership can help the long term issues with Target. Until all employees have control of Target. Unions will be the only choice to help lessen exploitation.

This is the problem. The company is exploiting people. The demands on tms are too great.

Should the majority Of etls really be making 10x what a tm makes? Think about that.

This is the problem. The company is exploiting people. The demands on tms are too great.

Should the majority Of etls really be making 10x what a tm makes? Think about that.

I always thought the same thing about the ETL wages, why so high a salary and very little work out of them ??
If our store had "Competitive Wages" then why is the "Now Hiring" sign ALWAYS on the incoming and outgoing doors. hmm, competitive wages would mean more people would stay longer.

I make more money each week on coupons and cartwheel than the damn raise I just got !!
I shoped this week and saved 10.69 in cartwheel and coupons, divide that by 40 hours per week and you get about .27 cents that is more than my raise.

Spot's wages in my area are competitive with Wal-Mart and no one else. Of course, Wal-Mart still offers health insurance to part time employees and full timers that had been with the company long enough became eligible for a bonus when the store hit the right numbers (don't know if they still do this though).

Most of the grocery stores around here pay a bit better than Spot but they don't come anywhere close to Home Depot and Costco.

I have been with Target for a long time, more than 10 years, so I remember a time when things were vastly different. We will continue to 'get what we pay for' with respect to TM's...The supermarket chain at the corner near us pays a full 1.50 more to bag groceries...not much incentive to come to Target and get pummeled with more work than anyone can handle...

I don't know where you live but the average sr tl is making around 30,000 at my store, which Is barely liveable in the area.

average pay for everyone excluding etls is probably 7,500 after taxes.

Lol one of my seniors tl make 54,000 a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back