Archived Does your store still use artist cards in CD browsers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For almost a year and half now, our store has 0 artist cards. The TM that does revisions hardly cares due to laziness, so helping a guest to find a CD won't be any better than a guest trying to find it.

I remember they use to have someone in the higher ups come and checkout entertainment. Does this not happen anymore? This is the reason why I always give accountability a low score on our surveys.

District entertainment execs pretty much don't exist, and entertainment is pretty much ready to kill the cd browser, as it should. I don't bother since I just do the revisions for movies and best sellers in cds, but last I checked the weekly artist card update signing are still happening and are the responsibility of the electronics team. If they won't zone the stupid thing, I'm not going to touch it. There are no hours officially allocated for revisions and it's their problem, not mine.

I can't wait too see if Target decides to jump into the vinyl market the way B&N has.
You guys in entertainment will have loads of fun with that.

We still have artist cards and for the most part they match up with the cds that are placed in front of them. I use them to separate albums by the same artist when attempting condense the browser so I can fit more of a variety on it. Why does Taylor Swift need 4 spaces, one cd each, while (some other band) sits in the backroom? Can't sell it if it's sitting in the back.

I don't know why the browsers can't just be officially alphabetized via a label strip rather than us just putting the cds wherever. We keep ours zoned, but I never know where to look for a specific CD. Every TM seems to have a different method of sorting them. Whitney Houston is with the H's, but J. Cole is with the J's. Panic at the Disco is with the P's but My Chemical Romance is with the R's :confused:

We had a vinyl endcap at one point, but it disappeared shortly after I was hired. We cater to nearly every other aspect of Hipster culture...no idea why we didn't stay on the vinyl bandwagon.

Last edited:
Our store has two active Electronics team members whom actually give a crap about the music browser. We keep it up as much as we possibly can and if there were different ways to organize it, we tried it.

For years (before me), the browser was simply haphazard. Everything was random, flow entered in and pretty much took cds by the handful and tossed them in and walked away.

I came in and for the first year or so, I tried to keep up with the 3x5s alone. Printing them, reorganizing, zoning, all back when the browser was still broken down into genres. The problem with this is that our general team members and the entire logistics team didn't understand how artist names worked. It was a whole lot of "is Taylor Swift under the T or S? It doesn't make any sense" or "is five finger death punch" under F, D, or P?"

It just reverted back to the old "I'm gonna stock all the product in the browser randomly" but this time with the respect of tossing random stock into the two stripped shelving spaces above the browser.

For the ease of everyone, save for the most sandiest of guests, we ultimately abandoned 3x5 white labels and simply went with the target planogrammed pre set locations and printed out standard labels. The only complaint I tend to hear from semi-reasonable people is targets removal of genres. Now things are stocked and located properly, nobody complains about 3x5s getting in their way, and guests can now see the price on every item.

Shelf labels work great for us and not only do they have the price but the artist title is also just high enough that the normal sized cd in front of it doesn't obstruct the title.

Haven't since I've been at my store, and that has been 4 years. I tried to start it up again after a transition one time and said nope! Now the whole thing is a browser top two shelves and all. Just tie it off and move on.

The entire CD browser is alphabetized (except for new artists), all CDs have 3x5 cards all with the actual browser card except the few that don't have them available (generic then), and there are no CDs in the back room except for street dated CDs (all NOP is put into the browser). If a CD has locations outside of the browser, those locations will be filled before putting any of the CDs in the browser. Setting the CDs to plano is not practical as the plano calls for six shelves when our browser only has five (only the top two are set to plano). Every other shift I give it a quick zone to make sure that it isn't too horribly messed up, but it pretty much gets destroyed during any holiday or return scan.

I honestly want to print out all the labels for the browser so I can research the whole thing. We simply don't have enough titles to fill the whole browser. If we only did one facing per CD I would only have the browser 2/3 full. I'm definitely not looking forward to the next return scan.

I wish we had vinyl. I have a record player and it is hard to find vinyl without going to overpriced hipster urban outfitters and half the time they do not have what I am looking for. I haven't since those artist cards in ages it would be kinda neat if we still did though.

I wish we had vinyl. I have a record player and it is hard to find vinyl without going to overpriced hipster urban outfitters and half the time they do not have what I am looking for. I haven't since those artist cards in ages it would be kinda neat if we still did though.

Aren't there any used record stores any place close?
I go to a used book store that also carries vinyl.

Nope the closest one is about a hr away. I have been to it once and it is a nice little record store but I just wish it wasn't so far away:(

I can't wait too see if Target decides to jump into the vinyl market the way B&N has.
You guys in entertainment will have loads of fun with that.

Target exclusively had the Justin Timberlake album The 20/20 Experience on vinyl a couple of years ago. It was on a front endcap in the CD area initially, then moved into the CD area, before finding its way onto the electronics clearance back endcap.

And Target did carry those boxed sets featuring a 45 and a t-shirt a few years back.

I'm in the process of redoing our CD section back to brand. Got almost done with just had to stick the artist cards in the sleeves and then I had 3 days off in a row. Going back in soon and am shuddering to think what happened to all my hard work. *sigh* At least my STL told me it was looking great last week.

Oh yes I remember the JT vinyl but I am not a JT fan so I haven't ever bought any of his albums vinyl or cd lol.

I have tried maintaining browsers multiple times, and get them great but all it takes is one scanback to destroy them again. Target needs to just pull the plug on Entertainment. Reduce it down to NR books, movies, and CDs along with some best sellers and cut the floor space down to maybe 1/3rd of what they have now. Expand Electronics to include tons of working displays and more SKUs and make Electronics Experience x2...

Our CDs aren't a COMPLETE mess, but pretty close. About once a week I'll be pulling a FF that calls for a CD, and it can take 5-10 minutes to find it, rather than the 1-2 it should take if things were organized/alphabetized correctly.

I have tried maintaining browsers multiple times, and get them great but all it takes is one scanback to destroy them again. Target needs to just pull the plug on Entertainment. Reduce it down to NR books, movies, and CDs along with some best sellers and cut the floor space down to maybe 1/3rd of what they have now.
It won't happen any time soon. Entertainment has very little clearance because of the return scans and MIRs. If something doesn't get sold it gets sent back to the merchant and the store is reimbursed the cost. It makes good sense to have a department that makes money when its product sells and reimburses the company when its product doesn't sell.

With the innovation remodels getting ready to mobilize, I can tell you that entertainment will be losing some floorpad on the new adjacency.

It won't happen any time soon. Entertainment has very little clearance because of the return scans and MIRs. If something doesn't get sold it gets sent back to the merchant and the store is reimbursed the cost. It makes good sense to have a department that makes money when its product sells and reimburses the company when its product doesn't sell.

It's already happening. The browsers used to have a a lot more shelving and aisles and over the years that has shrunk pretty consistently. There's less products, less browser space, and blu-rays are slowly eating away at those spaces one way or another. Honestly I have my doubts that sales will be impacted that horrifically if they just kill the browser completely and just stick to NR and best seller planograms. Preferably with less obnoxious signing systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back