Drive Up app changes?

I'm hearing drive up app for some stores is changing so that one team member can only scan in one order at any one time, and other tms will have to remove or de-assign another tm from an order if they are going to take it out themselves.

Anybody know what this is about? Or have more info? Seems very inefficient.

The changes were discussed in July as a change that would rollout over the next two months and it’s hitting most stores this week and next.
The changes only affect Guest Advocates that are staging the orders for guests and bringing them out to guests when they arrive. This does not affect Fulfillment TMs which are picking the orders or putting them to hold.

The main change is that only one TM can remove bags from a hold location at a time per order.

For example if John Doe is on his way and he has 5 bags in 5 different hold locations only one TM can work on removing those bags from hold and staging them. However other TMs can see that the order is now staged and ready to be delivered to the guest which would then be handed off to another TM for delivery.

I think this will help make sure TMs aren’t overlapping each other in trying to stage orders and will ensure all bags are removed from hold at the same time and by the same person.

Communication as usually is critical here. As long as you communicate with your other guest advocates what order you are prepping there shouldn’t be any real slowdowns. As with any change it will take getting used to but teams will develop a workflow that is efficient for the team and for guests.

4F1EDCBF-D5A9-4500-8532-CC2CE44D4B87.jpeg

That’s kinda unfortunate when we have orders w grocery and the hold area is in a different part of the store. To expedite things, we have one TM grab the grocery while another TM does the other location.

Last edited:
So yes we already do that. Isn’t that what I just said?. The way I read the new directive is that only one TM is responsible for the whole order.

Last edited:
That’s kinda unfortunate when we have orders w grocery and the hold area is in a different part of the store. To expedite things, we have one TM grab the grocery while another TM does the other location.
so you get on walkie and say "hey can you get john smith's order out of clry0023 while i get all the other items from sdn004"
Yes but can both of us still see the order? When there’s time I like to check to make sure I have everything. If only one person can see the order at once that would be annoyinng

Ngl i don't really like this change i know my stores gs team has a system down packed with multiple tms getting orders from different areas. I dont work up there but hopefully they can figure it out quickly

So yes we already do that. Isn’t that what I just said?. The way I read the new directive is that only one TM is responsible for the whole order.

Only one TM can actually scan the bags out of hold. But, there is nothing preventing a different TM from grabbing the bags and handing them to the TM who claimed the order to scan. What my store's drive up team is doing for large double taps or arriving soons is one TM claims the order, other TMs then grab the different bags in different hold areas.

It made things more chaotic at first. But, they seemed to be getting the hang of it the last time I was over there a few days ago.

When the guest was 10 minutes or so away, we would take the non-perishable pulled order to the freezer/cooler and then head to the parking lot as the guest was arriving. We were doing this before scanning bags was a thing so all of it had to be verbal only. No green dots to reference.

I HATE that you can only pull one order at a time. With the old app, we could pull parts of several orders at a time and then go to the grocery hold and finish if necessary. Now, only one at a time. It is so inefficient and really not set up for stores who don't have dedicated DU teams. Also...on the OPU side, having to either type in a name or order number when they don't have the barcode which is the majority of time also is so dumb. Scrolling down to see orders was just so much faster.

I HATE that you can only pull one order at a time. With the old app, we could pull parts of several orders at a time and then go to the grocery hold and finish if necessary. Now, only one at a time. It is so inefficient and really not set up for stores who don't have dedicated DU teams. Also...on the OPU side, having to either type in a name or order number when they don't have the barcode which is the majority of time also is so dumb. Scrolling down to see orders was just so much faster.
Pressing the black back button will let you go back and view all without clearing out scans. Same if you press 3 dots and then cancel work.

things that need to be fixed to make this app as good as it can be, because honestly it has a lot of potential:

1. Don’t unscan all the bags unless we tell it to, there is no reason for it to do this…

2. If an order has been prepped, scan the bags in for everyone. It is obvious all the bags are there, otherwise what is the point of the prep process.

if anybody could pass that onto corporate I think we will be in good shape.

Pressing the black back button will let you go back and view all without clearing out scans. Same if you press 3 dots and then cancel work.

things that need to be fixed to make this app as good as it can be, because honestly it has a lot of potential:

1. Don’t unscan all the bags unless we tell it to, there is no reason for it to do this…

2. If an order has been prepped, scan the bags in for everyone. It is obvious all the bags are there, otherwise what is the point of the prep process.

if anybody could pass that onto corporate I think we will be in good shape.
@HQWireless @Sarakiel

I would add some sort of color coding/bar. Yesterday we had multiple orders do the no notice/I'm here double honk and it's really hard to see that those orders are waiting and still need to be prepped when you are in the weeds and are prepping 5-10 other orders. The old app had the color change from green to red. This is just a plain white screen with words "waiting" while in the prep screen separated from the orders "on the way". That really doesn't give a sense of urgency, yanno?

I would add some sort of color coding/bar. Yesterday we had multiple orders do the no notice/I'm here double honk and it's really hard to see that those orders are waiting and still need to be prepped when you are in the weeds and are prepping 5-10 other orders. The old app had the color change from green to red. This is just a plain white screen with words "waiting" while in the prep screen separated from the orders "on the way". That really doesn't give a sense of urgency, yanno?
Way I look at it is if it honks and isn’t in the delivered menu, then they can wait. The ones who gave us notice get their stuff first and then we move to prepping the “surprise I’m here” guests. They get no urgency if they can’t notify us ahead of time.

I agree!!

Just curious about other stores how long does it take you get large orders out? Is it sometimes 20 plus minutes?

Only one TM can actually scan the bags out of hold. But, there is nothing preventing a different TM from grabbing the bags and handing them to the TM who claimed the order to scan. What my store's drive up team is doing for large double taps or arriving soons is one TM claims the order, other TMs then grab the different bags in different hold areas.

It made things more chaotic at first. But, they seemed to be getting the hang of it the last time I was over there a few days ago.
But if one team member had claimed an order to prep and I want to help them out by getting part of the Oder while there grabbing grocery stuff I can’t scan the bags I pulled to make sure I got all of the ones I’m pulling.

I am noticing the app slowing down Guest advocates by 1-2 minutes. But at least at my store when I ask “why don’t you like the new app” they can’t give a good reason that I could understand. I understand it will be a different process and that will take time to adjust but I don’t see what the new app is preventing that was possible before that you cant.

I think slowing down a bit is not exactly a bad thing to ensure the accuracy of the order when removing from hold and delivering because a guest being charged for something they didn’t get isn’t exactly the best guest experience.

everyone is able to see orders in a read only mode so I don’t see why they can’t help another team member in grabbing bags from hold and giving them to the tm in the prep process to scan out of hold.

I have also heard “you can’t hit deliver until the guest is here” and my response is “yeah isn’t that kind of the point?” Why would you be needing to hit deliver on the order when the guest isn’t at the store.

Back