Archived Drug Test Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I referred a friend of mine to apply for Target. He applied Sunday, I notified the ETL-HR yesterday, and he was called today for an interview. I forgot to mention one little detail to him - the mandatory drug test. He is a "work hard play hard" guy and he smokes marijuana recreationally and may have done other party drugs in the past (that I don't know - we don't party together as we're not close and it's not my thing).

He's cleaning out his system as we speak. For all I know, he could get an immediate offer and will have to test tomorrow. What does anyone know about any "acceptable" levels of drugs and if Spot could care less about marijuana (tbh half my store smokes it recreationally themselves so I hope I'm not too worried), especially being in California.

What should he expect with the drug test?

I don't think that there's an acceptable level when you get tested.
Not sure how they are handling things in states where it's legal but otherwise he better test clean.

A) There are no acceptable levels of drugs to be in a persons system for Target, except those drugs prescribed by a doctor and they will be verified by their doctor through the background check... B) He will not pass the drug test with anything in his system. Marijuana will stay in a person system for up to 10 days for the recreational user and 45 days for habitual users. Theres no real determination and its nearly impossible to give a definitive answer as to how long marijuana will stay in someones system. I had a friend that smoked some weed three days before an interview/drug test and he failed. There are way to many factors.

@STLinMaking do you have any idea what they are going to do in states where pot is legal?
It seems like a good case could be made that testing for it wouldn't be acceptable.

@commiecorvus
To be honest I am not sure.... I would imagine it is probably dependent upon the way the statue is written in each state. I cannot speak specifically as to what Target's Policy is. (I am not an official spokesperson anyways) But after doing a little research it's looking like businesses still "Hold the cards" into what they allow and will not allow. The article below is the one I read. It's looking like in Colorado, anyways that there is an amendment that allows businesses to decide what they want to do. If theres a "No Drug"; Policy in place, it looks like that business has the legal right to refuse you work. This will be interesting to follow and see what happens as more and more states are legalizing pot...

http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_24799683/employers-can-still-fire-pot-smokers-legal-use

The main reason I was wondering is if you tested positive but said that your roommate smoked it and not you (perfectly legal),it would be an interesting case.

I'll just say that I passed my drug test 5 days after smoking weed "all day, er'ry day" for the previous three months. I live in a MMJ state and had a card, but even that doesn't help you with passing a test. I will say that there are times I wish I could go to work stoned. I did... once... for a cashier shift. Total buzz kill.

It might be legal at a state level, but it's still illegal at the federal level...so my guess is that in those states where it's legal, the employer can go with the federal law.

Target is a Drug Free workplace company wide. It doesn't matter if its legal in your state or not.

That is a very nice broad brush you've got there but as more states legalize marijuana the rules are going to have to be adapted.
Of course drugs would be unacceptable at work just like alcohol but pot stays in the system for days and as I pointed out before it would be easy to be exposed to second hand smoke.

You would have to be in a confined space with little ventilation (like a car) for a couple of hours straight before you would have to worry about second hand smoke pushing you to a positive result. Also, just because states legalize it doesn't mean the Feds have...so employers can either have coverage under the federal law, or under state law, like Colorado, which provides for employers to discriminate against pot use.

Call me crazy, but I personally would never vouch for any person using illegal drugs... Recreational or not. Does the term recreational somehow demonstrate that he might not be high 8 out of 10 times he's on the clock? Just sayin'..

Does the term recreational somehow demonstrate that he might not be high 8 out of 10 times he's on the clock? Just sayin'..

Uh, no, it does not demonstrate that. You seem to have no idea what the term recreational means. Just sayin'.

It's recreational, as opposed to a drug you take so you don't die. Heart medication = non-recreational. Grabbing a drink after work = recreational. It says absolutely nothing about a persons willpower or work ethic, it's merely a distinction.

Any indicated drug use is a test failure. If he fails it looks bad on you.

Call me crazy, but I personally would never vouch for any person using illegal drugs... Recreational or not. Does the term recreational somehow demonstrate that he might not be high 8 out of 10 times he's on the clock? Just sayin'..

Thought experiment: say the guy is high all the time. Tomorrow some judge declares weed legal. Are you okay with his use now?

Don't trust the government. Trust science.

When I did my drug test for Target, I had to pee in a cup and give a hair sample. Marijuana usually can be tested up for a good while. Not sure of the exact period but I heard anywhere from 3-4 weeks to 90 days. Other drugs may be tested longer.

There are levels or limits to which many drug tests will report. But will Target ding you for being a room of potheads or attending a Phish concert, not sure.

Ex.
Negative
Indications of limited exposure
Indications of high exposure
Indications of limited ingestion/inhalation
Indications of high ingestion/inhalation

I never had to do the hair sample in any of my drug tests. I do know that it can detect use for a VERY long time though, where as pissing in the cup is only good for a week or two.

Why would they even bother with a hair test unless you're going to be doing a job with high liability issue.

hair tests are expensive

I referred a friend of mine to apply for Target. He applied Sunday, I notified the ETL-HR yesterday, and he was called today for an interview. I forgot to mention one little detail to him - the mandatory drug test. He is a "work hard play hard" guy and he smokes marijuana recreationally and may have done other party drugs in the past (that I don't know - we don't party together as we're not close and it's not my thing).

He's cleaning out his system as we speak. For all I know, he could get an immediate offer and will have to test tomorrow. What does anyone know about any "acceptable" levels of drugs and if Spot could care less about marijuana (tbh half my store smokes it recreationally themselves so I hope I'm not too worried), especially being in California.

What should he expect with the drug test?

nice work...you referred someone you know is a drug user and, by your own admission, you "aren't close"

pretty stupid

If I had some type of codeine pill prescribed to me by a doctor and can prove it, that would not stop me from getting a job right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back