During interview, how to state schedule availability?

I know i have to check all boxes for availability in the application to even get my app through their system. However once I am interviewing can I request not to work certain evenings. I don’t know if that preference would be honored? Specifically for lead positions. Thank you.

Well. To be honeat your starting out on a bad foot by lying about your availability. I did that once and my interviewer was not happy. This was a difderent job. Its been a long time but they should confirm you availability is open and ask if there are any days you cant work. I would then explain your situation. For me I was truthful I told them I wasnt sure what positiona they were looking for time wise and I had a second job to work around. Agsin they were mad about me fudging it but i legit didnt know that was wrong since i have never had two jobs. Be as honest and up front as you can but really its retail. Your life is tailored to the needs of the business. If you have a good HR you may get to work sround it. If not. Its retail.

If I see open availability in the application then during the interview you say you need evenings off. If it doesn't match my hiring needs aka I need someone to work mids 11-7 then I won't hire you.

If I see open availability in the application then during the interview you say you need evenings off. If it doesn't match my hiring needs aka I need someone to work mids 11-7 then I won't hire you.
Agreed a person quit the job after she said one avablity or another. Tarshit hired her that availability. I mean Tarshit could have worked with her on that but their assholes. So don't lie on the app if you want the job but I would apply somewhere else other than the nightmare that is Tarshit if want flexibility.

You could lie & say circumstances have changed since you applied so you'd have to narrow your availability but don't be surprised if you aren't hired, particularly for a TL position.

Years ago a group of new hires had just come out of orientation & one woman went immediately to the HRTM to give her a schedule of when she could work.
The HRTM looked at it & reminded the new hire that she had submitted an open availability with her application; the woman said "Well, yeah, but EVERYONE does that just to get the job."
The ETL-HR was nearby & said "Excuse me?"
The woman kept trying to justify what she did until the ETL pointed out that her hire was based on the availability submitted.
She then said that the woman had just admitted to committing fraud, thus the job offer was rescinded & directed her to the exit as the ETL walked off.
The shocked woman looked at the HRTM who said "Yeah....that just happened."

I was recently told the schedule auto-generates based on what you put as your availability (IDK if that is true, a team member mentioned it the other day) and a leader tweaks it as needed before they post. So, for example, I'm in beauty so I'm put in with those hours. Those hours have been crap lately so I usually get hours from other departments also, which are added in after the fact.

Whatever you're putting down for availability is going to be what hours you get. Since you're coming in as new they're looking for it to be 99-100% open. My store doesn't have many issues or problems (we have an awesome SD) but I will tell you that if you're new and the other people in your department want the day hours, you'll get all the evening. You basically need to work your way up to the schedule you're wanting.

Since you're interested in a Team Lead position now or even down the road, I'd suggest putting 100% availability and meaning it 100%. What is nice about being a Team Lead (I'm not one, just my observation & what I've been told by another Lead) is that they have a scheduled closing lead for M-F and the rest of the leads split the weekend shifts on rotation. So M-F you're all day/afternoon shifts only.

I think it's pretty rare that a TL would have limited availability honored. Maybe if you needed to have a certain day off every week, or one night a week you couldnt close or mid for that might be honored without much hassle

I was recently told the schedule auto-generates based on what you put as your availability

It's true. But, the auto-generated schedule is a dumpster fire pushed into a landfill with a lake of gasoline in it. It's that bad, except for those TMs who have a set schedule keyed into the system. So, the final schedule is going to mostly be all made by leadership.

At my store TLs have to have open availability. You might be able to get certain evenings off if you are taking classes, Spot is pretty good about supporting students furthering their educations, but that depends on your store leadership. If you commit to open availability in your interview you are committed to that for your first 90 days. Don’t commit to an availability in your interview that you can’t fulfill. Just saying, but nothing starts you off on the wrong foot with leadership like wanting to change your availability soon after you are hired. Gets the eye roll from leadership every time, and you will forever be “that TL who wanted to change their availability before the ink on their interview paperwork was dry”. If they agree to giving you certain nights off during your interview, make sure it is written down correctly on your interview paperwork before you sign it, and it should be honored. You may have to talk to HR to get your schedule changed a few times, because they sometimes “forget” people’s availabilities when making the schedule. There are better places to be a supervisor than at Spot, but if you want to give it a try, good luck!

I know i have to check all boxes for availability in the application to even get my app through their system. However once I am interviewing can I request not to work certain evenings. I don’t know if that preference would be honored? Specifically for lead positions. Thank you.

Uh, no. You're selected for an interview based on your availability (amongst other things.) Lying on your application is a bad look. I'd let you go immediately. And I have for that.

I was recently told the schedule auto-generates based on what you put as your availability (IDK if that is true, a team member mentioned it the other day) and a leader tweaks it as needed before they post. So, for example, I'm in beauty so I'm put in with those hours. Those hours have been crap lately so I usually get hours from other departments also, which are added in after the fact.

Whatever you're putting down for availability is going to be what hours you get. Since you're coming in as new they're looking for it to be 99-100% open. My store doesn't have many issues or problems (we have an awesome SD) but I will tell you that if you're new and the other people in your department want the day hours, you'll get all the evening. You basically need to work your way up to the schedule you're wanting.

Since you're interested in a Team Lead position now or even down the road, I'd suggest putting 100% availability and meaning it 100%. What is nice about being a Team Lead (I'm not one, just my observation & what I've been told by another Lead) is that they have a scheduled closing lead for M-F and the rest of the leads split the weekend shifts on rotation. So M-F you're all day/afternoon shifts only.
No, it does not auto-generate. The availability is manually entered during the job offer. Someone can say on their app that they want weekends off. That can change during the interview when asked about it. We usually write their availability down during the interview process.

I just need two evenings off. I can work anytime up to 5pm on those specific days. But I can't get off at like 9pm at that time.

It's true. But, the auto-generated schedule is a dumpster fire pushed into a landfill with a lake of gasoline in it. It's that bad, except for those TMs who have a set schedule keyed into the system. So, the final schedule is going to mostly be all made by leadership.

Thank you for the clarification! :)

I just need two evenings off. I can work anytime up to 5pm on those specific days. But I can't get off at like 9pm at that time.
It would depend on which days. If it's Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, not likely. The others may be negotiable.

Leads are required to have open availability but in reality most of us work a pretty consistent schedule. If you are flexible on which two nights, and which department you work, it's a possibility. For example, the truck team is usually gone by noon in my store so your afternoon availability wouldn't even be an issue.

Leads are required to have open availability but in reality most of us work a pretty consistent schedule. If you are flexible on which two nights, and which department you work, it's a possibility. For example, the truck team is usually gone by noon in my store so your afternoon availability wouldn't even be an issue.
How would I get into the truck team? Is that GM or fulfillment?

Only way a store would take you on after changing availability between app and interview is the unavailable times are not high traffic times and only 1-2 nights Mon-Thursday. Weekend availability has usually been a must.

If circumstances changed between app and interview (ex. child care, finalized a school schedule). Just be upfront. Its better to state the need for a change now than after you are onboarded.

Back