I'm Lost! E-Filing (Control Number Box)

Prodil

Tech Savvy ~ Former Collegiate esports player
Hi!

So, I'm filing my taxes for the first time :D through Turbotax but my Target W-2 it just says N for the control number and its asking for more characters. If I won't able to fix it or add something else it tells me I'll have to send my taxes through the actual mail and not through E-filing :(.

Target Control Number Box :c (N)
My Starbucks W-2 has multiple characters and it ran through zero problems. (Example: Control number box 02101011 LFX)

Do I accept just mailing my tax returns through the mail or is there any way to change the control number so I send everything electronically

Thanks, Prodil.

manually enter w2 in turbotax.
From turbotax:
The control number is not needed to file your tax return. You can leave the control number blank, click Continue and then you will be able to manually enter your w-2 information.

If you get errors when attempting to e-file with an empty Box D, just enter any number in this format: 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890). The IRS doesn't care what's in Box D because its use by payroll departments is optional.

On the other hand, if you're trying to import your W-2 with a blank Box D, click skip import and then manually enter your W-2. You won't be able to import using the 5 digit + space + 5 digit solution for e-filing.

Back