Archived Educational Leave of absence help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HR ETL is new and I don't know if she is giving me the correct information. I will be leaving Aug 18-January 7th to a Collage Program/ Collage intern in Florida and asked my HR what I need to do to get on educational leave of absence. She told me I need to call Target pay and benefits to see if they will cover me and then do some paper work when the date is closer. When should I do this paper work and do I need to call Target pay and benefits what department do I ask for when I call them? When should I call them? Now or when it gets closer to Aug?

Ask your HR for an educational LOA form.

There should be a LOA form in your TMSC and possibly on eHR.

Make sure you have some sort of documention or schedule to this opportunity. I have known some ETL-HRs to pull, "How do I know you aren't just going to find another job or long vacation."

Last edited:
<<< former HR TM
All we had to do is get the info from the TM going on educational leave. Then we went into HR Zone and changed them from Active to Educational Leave. This removes your name from the schedule so you aren't accidentally scheduled. I believe it also helps adjust your average hours worked so they are accurate for benefits and such.
I took a personal leave and my HR had to call and let them know.
Educational leaves are the easiest ones to manage at the store level.

Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one, to see if I can get some help with setting up an educational LoA. My main question is, will I be able to come back to the job ? Is that guaranteed? Will I have to be re-trained or anything like that? And how do I tell my store that I'm ready to return from LoA?

from targetpayandben edits:
Leave of Absence Policies
A leave of absence may be granted if you need time away from work due to illness, personal emergency or other compelling personal matter. If one of these circumstances requires you to be away from work for an extended amount of time, you must be placed on leave of absence.

Overview
During your leave, your employment status will not change and you will retain eligibility for benefits (if applicable) for up to 180 days.

A number of factors will be taken into consideration when approving the leave including:

• Your eligibility as outlined in the Target guidelines
  • The leave type requested
  • The reason for the request
  • The effect the leave will have on work requirements and staffing in your department

Please work with your HR team or leader to determine if you are eligible for a leave and the type of leave that best fits your needs.

Leave status begins when you are away from work on the:

• Third scheduled day for distribution and headquarters nonexempt team members
  • Eighth calendar day for distribution and headquarters exempt team members and all store team members

Note: These are guidelines only. Depending on the reason for the leave, it may begin on the first day you miss work.

You should contact the Target Leave and Disability team at the beginning of your leave if it is anticipated that it will be longer than three days for distribution and headquarters nonexempt team members or eight days for all other team members.

School is up to 1 year.

Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one, to see if I can get some help with setting up an educational LoA. My main question is, will I be able to come back to the job ? Is that guaranteed? Will I have to be re-trained or anything like that? And how do I tell my store that I'm ready to return from LoA?

What HLM said. Also, keep in touch with your HR.

I asked my HR team for a form, and while I was originally told it would need 2-4 weeks for approval, my ETL-HR keyed it in front of me with the date set for when I needed it to start.

They may ask for documentation, but you can just print your class schedule out and give it to them. My ETL-GE gave me shit originally, but I said I would have to quit if I did not get the LOA. It was approved.

I'd imagine them offering you employment again when you're done is mostly guaranteed, but not the same position.

Go on LOA as cashier, return, no biggie, stores can always use cashiers.

Go on LOA as a TL, return, they may have no need for another TL of that position as they likely filled the spot you left ages ago. So I imagine in that scenario you might be demoted from TL to TM upon returning at least until another TL position opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back