Archived Electric Carts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartman

MasterBlaster (User has passed away)
First off, what are the proper name for these things? Handicapped Carts? I'm too large (or lazy) to ambulate on my own carts? I watched a couple of crazy "guests" racing two of them around in the parking lot.

What are your store policy on these gizmos?

They aren't supposed to leave the store, but, ...

The other day one of the carts was stripped of the deep cycle batteries and the starter after being left overnight in the lot.

Last edited:
Ours leave the store all the time, must be brought back in by CA as soon as possible. There are no official policies that I'm aware of, other than they need to be plugged in by anyone who sees one left around the store.

We call them "mobile carts, electric carts, or ride-ons".

I think taking them past the doors should be considered as theft.

They should stay INSIDE the store.

It would be cool if there was an automated shout out over the walkie when an electric cart goes past the doors. Kind of like the fast service buttons or restroom checkups except it would say, "An electronic cart is leaving the store now. Please retrieve."

I trained at a high risk store that had wheel locks on the carts that stopped after leaving the parking lot..

I like it when one dies with the guest and you get to drive another one to guest through the store.:cool:

I think taking them past the doors should be considered as theft.

They should stay INSIDE the store.
I'm willing to pad my stats with some electric cart apprehensions. :D

Our cart attendant got coached after he was seen trying to drag a dead electric cart from back of the lot with the cart pusher. I thought it was funny, STL didn't.

I know for the older model electric carts they stated that they can not be taken outside. The newer ones I believe are the same. All it takes is for the battery to die mid-crosswalk or for the guest to drive off the curb and Target could be held liable for a guest's injuries.

If I caught a guest trying to take one outside, I always pleasantly approached them and apologized and stated the carts are not allowed to be taken outside due to safety reasons, and asked if I good assist them to their car.

I had one time a lady who ended up bribing $20 to bring a cart to her car.

Always rolled me eyes at the parents or grandparents who let their kids ride in the basket.

Ditto.
I always picked 'em up from the front & rolled 'em in.
A lot like rolling a full wheelbarrow with flat tires but doable.

Just because you've always done something a certain way doesn't mean it's the proper way.

Since I never suffered a back injury nor do I work for spot any more, it's a moot point.

Not to sound like a "I drank an entire jug of Target koolaid" type of person but "best practice" states that the carts should never leave the store and that we should tell the guest that they can drive their vehicle up to the front doors if they can't walk their bags with them to it......I mean it makes sense because you did have to walk IN the store so why can't you walk OUT?

And since it's dead and you can't drive it, you have to lift it from the front and awkwardly shuffle along backwards with it constantly slamming into your shins. And a heads up, it's heavy.
Been there done that with an angry, rude guest right behind me. She was pretty lively. Got her re-carted and on her way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back