Archived Electronics Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working for Target 2 years in Hardlines and I'm starting Electronics training tomorrow. Do you have any tips for me, what's the most important thing I should learn and focus on in Electronics?

ATTACHMENTS! RED CARDS!

There's so much you have to do in electronics, but to keeps TLs and ETLs off your back, work on a smooth 5 second pitch for accessories. Some are easier than others (everyone needs video games, everyone already has HDMI cables, noone wants to buy an iPod case, they're already buying their daughter a damn iPod) but aiming for the 2+1 is a must. Don't be high pressure, maybe bring up reasons they'll want certain things. "I mostly listen to my ipod in the car, do you need a cassette adaptor?"

This applies for the service plans and red cards, too. Stumbling around for 10 seconds trying to figure out which plan covers what item kills whatever goodwill you've built up, so learn those and work out a pitch that fits your style. If you're learning electronics, it means you're probably the guy that knows everything on the floor, and you probably already have a passing interest in electronics. Just take deep breaths and be patient when a mom doesn't wait for you to explain the difference between and DS and a 3DS and you'll be fine. Also:

-Get to know your AP. At my store we have a signal for when something scammy is going on at the boat.
-Cart attendants and backroom TMs are your best friends for large TVs
-PDA necromancy is useful for those hard to find movies and games.
-Don't break street dates.
-Take care of your backroom. When you go back to get the last iPad and it isn't there you'll wish fiery death on whoever took it and didn't subtract it.
-Seriously, people don't like holding a copy of Call of Duty: Ghosts only to find out it doesn't come out til Tuesday even though POG team already did the revisions and weren't thinking and it's hardlocked at the register. Don't break street dates.
-Help the entertainment guy boxing blu rays and stuff on Tuesdays.
-Don't be that guy that stands behind the boat and bullshits with the mobile guy. Walk your area. Talk to people. Recommend your favorite movies. Fill endcaps. DO SOMETHING.
-Zone childrens movies and iPod cases every day unless you like giant piles of crap.
-If it's March and there's nobody in the store and you're zoned and well stocked and the GSTL doesn't need your help with a checklanes endcap, flip through some of the informational booklets behind the boat while you're bullshitting with the mobile guy.

Last edited:
Read cnet.com

My first day wasn't so bad, I definitely need a LOT of product knowledge. The only CON is that guests seem to be more rude and demanding in general.

They got more rude and demanding the weekend after Halloween when they went into holiday mode. I suspect it's a holiday thnng, not a department thing.

Ugh the TL in charge of Electronics wants me and another trainee to open on Black Friday. I don't know if I can handle it, I mean working in Electronics itself is not hard but the questions people ask boggle the mind and I feel sooo ignorant when I don't know the answer. I know it's gonna take me a while to learn all I need to know but I don't know if it's gonna be enough to satisfy those rabid guests on Black Friday!

It's likely that you'll just be cashiering. On Black Friday most guests only ask you "Where's ______?" You should have a map with all the doorbusters and usually the cameras and iPods are at the boat.

If you have an older Electronics glass case setup, you are pretty much going to have your hands full during the holidays/ taking care of guests. If you have the newer model, just engage the guest and ask what they are looking for.

Half the time the guests don't know what they want or what they are looking for.

All your immediate needed info are on the placards.

But you should know your
ESP
TV resolutions 720/1080/-i/-p
Video cables
Audio cables
Computer cables
Pros/Cons Lithium & alkaline battery cameras
Camera resolution
Memory card formats
Computer storage -byte sizes (GB/TB)
Reliability/Quality of your cameras, TVs, electronics
Really just walk your Electronics area, and know where things are. Know where your MUST HAVE games/movies/electronic items are at.

For attachments, engage the guest find out what they have always push the extra things they might need, the better cable, the mount, controllers, games, ESP...

Read up on electronic items on g4TV, cnet, makeuseof, tekzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back