Archived End of shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
im just wondering about the protocol for end of shift. I've been told a couple different things and just want to do what's right. Do you just turn off your light and clock out or do you wait for someone to tell you to leave?

In my store, it's the cashier's responsibility to know when his/her shift is over. We shut our lights a couple minutes before the end of our shift, and we have to wipe down our belt, counter, card reader, and register. We also have to make sure all our hangers and re-shop are put back where they belong (hangers in the hanger bin and re-shop in the cart at the front of our check lanes). If the GSA/GSTL is around, I'll just say, "hey, I'm done for the day." If they're not around, I just head to the time clock.

Assuming you're a cashier: I hit my light about 2-3 minutes before the official end of my shift. That usually gives me time to finish up the last guests. Drop off any giant reshop or paid and lefts. Tell the GSTL/GSA or the service desk that i'm leaving. Then leave.

In my store, it's the cashier's responsibility to know when his/her shift is over. We shut our lights a couple minutes before the end of our shift, and we have to wipe down our belt, counter, card reader, and register. We also have to make sure all our hangers and re-shop are put back where they belong (hangers in the hanger bin and re-shop in the cart at the front of our check lanes). If the GSA/GSTL is around, I'll just say, "hey, I'm done for the day." If they're not around, I just head to the time clock.

...My cashiers might have a new routine next time they see me.

At my store (when i started) you turned your light off when your shift ended (hoped no guests would come into your lane expecting to check out even tho you were closed) throw the hangers in the bin and put abandones in the re-shop basket, and have restock bags.

When I left the same thing (except one gsa wanted you to take the trash out on your lane) and you had to put all of your abandons back on the shelf (which sometimes could be a whole basket full)

im just wondering about the protocol for end of shift. I've been told a couple different things and just want to do what's right. Do you just turn off your light and clock out or do you wait for someone to tell you to leave?
If your GSA/GSTL is real good and has time, they will block you off.

If not, I would start closing you lane within the 5 minutes of your shift. Take reshop to SD and dump hangers. Report to the GSTL that you are leaving. Clock out.

Ha. At my store, you turn your light off about 3-5 minutes early. There is no wiping down of anything, no bag restocking, no taking reshop or hangers anywhere....nothing except a quick "see ya" to the GSA/GSTL and you are out.

Pfft we can't turn our lights off until exactly when our shift ends. I wasn't allowed to leave once until the 7pm person came in to take my place. Had to keep my light on and take guests until she came and took over for me.

Pfft we can't turn our lights off until exactly when our shift ends. I wasn't allowed to leave once until the 7pm person came in to take my place. Had to keep my light on and take guests until she came and took over for me.

If the cashier coming in was one who was on always time, I would ask the cashier to stay until they got out there to take their place. Then I had no gaps in coverage. So that generally meant you would clock out at 7pm since many cashiers were good about clocking in a minute or two early. If I knew the cashier following you was always later, then I would tell you just to close off and go, since it wasn't your fault/problem.

Same with Best Buy, you can't leave until your relief comes in. One time i had to wait about 20 minutes for the closing cashier to come in. The reason she was late is that she was buying Wendy's food, than got an attitude with me when i didn't take the security cases to the back because she was late and i had stuff to do after work. -__-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back