Archived End of the road.. Or...New beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am a cashier at a new store which opened about a month ago. Yesterday, I made the mistake of scanning the conveable barcode instead of the regular one on a big ticket item. I remembered to take the security alarm off, so I was too preoccupied to realize it didn't scan. Unfortunately, he was stopped at the door so my GSTL told me that he had to log it. I have many questions now:

Since I'm still in my first 90 days, will they let me go for that when eval time comes up? I'm a good employee, never late, no call outs, no scheduling issues, good speed score and a pretty good redcard conversion score.

Also, I worked in the store before we opened (stocking, training, etc) so does the 90 start from my orientation date, first day of work or when my store opened?

Lastly, when I went in today, it was like it never happened. I happened to see the ETL- softlines who needed help and decided to ask me since we had plenty of cashiers. She said I did a good job and told me I could be cross trained in soft lines if I want. I told her I did and she told my ETL-HR. So do you think it would be better for me to switch to softlines or will I be let go regardless?

HELP!! and thanks in advance.:huh:

While it might be difficult, I'd go talk with your ETL-GE. Sometimes "big issues" aren't as bad as we think they are. Instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop, go talk to your ETL-GE....express your concerns and tell them what happened.

If you aren't comfortable talking to your ETL-GE then at least talk with an LOD.

"Owning up" to a situation is usually easier than waiting to see if you'll be called into an office. By YOU showing the initiative about dealing with your mistake it lets people see that you are proactive and willing to be responsible. Just doing this may be the most helpful thing for you to do....it looks much better to be proactive than it does to just "wait and see." The more quickly this issue is discussed the less time you'll have to worry about what could happen.

I remember something that I did had me on pins and needles...and was afraid that I might lose my job, so I asked if I'd lose my job....the ETL-GE told me not to worry about it....that we all make mistakes....mine was a several hundred dollar mistake, but I'm still here!

Since your whole store is new, a lot of mistakes and accidental price issues will happen....so they may be pretty forgiving with your error.....besides, I think we all have made at least one major mistake and have been OK.

I realize that my comments are all over the place and not really expressed very smoothly, but sometimes the only way to say things is to write up the thoughts as they come to you.....thus the crazy order of thoughts.

Oh, you commented that when you returned to work the day after the incident it seems as though it never happened. It may be that your GSTL hasn't spoken to anyone yet.....which is why it will be better for you to talk to management right away instead of waiting.

Salary? I think you misspelled Slavery.. because what they pay you as a cashier is certainly FAR from being a "salary" (you're hourly)

Thank you for the response. My GSTL did tell me that I shouldn't worry about it, and when I went in, I was talking to my ETL-HR and she told me she's glad I'm around because I'm up for wherever they need me. I want to think that all is okay, also because I talked to about 4 other ETLs. Thank you for your help and I think I'll be fine! I also realized that my 90 days was up a few days ago! So how do evaluations work? Will I be sat down or if they had a problem they would let me know, otherwise I'm good? Remember that we are a new store and about 100 of us have been with us for the same amount of time.

While it might be difficult, I'd go talk with your ETL-GE. Sometimes "big issues" aren't as bad as we think they are. Instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop, go talk to your ETL-GE....express your concerns and tell them what happened.

If you aren't comfortable talking to your ETL-GE then at least talk with an LOD.

"Owning up" to a situation is usually easier than waiting to see if you'll be called into an office. By YOU showing the initiative about dealing with your mistake it lets people see that you are proactive and willing to be responsible. Just doing this may be the most helpful thing for you to do....it looks much better to be proactive than it does to just "wait and see." The more quickly this issue is discussed the less time you'll have to worry about what could happen.

I remember something that I did had me on pins and needles...and was afraid that I might lose my job, so I asked if I'd lose my job....the ETL-GE told me not to worry about it....that we all make mistakes....mine was a several hundred dollar mistake, but I'm still here!

Since your whole store is new, a lot of mistakes and accidental price issues will happen....so they may be pretty forgiving with your error.....besides, I think we all have made at least one major mistake and have been OK.

I realize that my comments are all over the place and not really expressed very smoothly, but sometimes the only way to say things is to write up the thoughts as they come to you.....thus the crazy order of thoughts.

Oh, you commented that when you returned to work the day after the incident it seems as though it never happened. It may be that your GSTL hasn't spoken to anyone yet.....which is why it will be better for you to talk to management right away instead of waiting.

I also realized that my 90 days was up a few days ago! So how do evaluations work? Will I be sat down or if they had a problem they would let me know, otherwise I'm good? Remember that we are a new store and about 100 of us have been with us for the same amount of time.

I am going on 120 and still haven't gotten mine. When I mentioned it, I got laughed at.

I made a $6,700 mistake and survived... with a final warning, understandably.
Yikes! Story time?

I never got a 90 day review. If you made it past 90 days and no one said anything to you, you're fine. With that many people and going into the holidays, I wouldn't be surprised if you never get one.

Actually, I realized my 90 days is up in two weeks, sorry folks. However, plenty of team members who aren't doing well have been let go already. I think I'm okay, I have no call outs or going home early or anything so I feel okay. Also, after the last paycheck, a co-team member mentioned to me that her pay went up a quarter. She works as both a cashier and softlines, which is what I am right now. I checked, and I also received a quarter more an hour. Could it be because we now cross-trained? or because the seasonal tm started that pay cycle? NOT complaining, just hoping it wasn't an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back