Archived ETL and TL relationship question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as I mentioned befor I'm coming in as ETL log from a DC tm, so my question being; what is the relationship between an ETL and TL? Coming from the DC we don't have the extra step between TMs and GLs (which is the ETL equivalent). When should you leverage your TL when should you not? How do you stay involved as much as possible with your team directly while making sure you don't overstep your TLs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So as I mentioned befor I'm coming in as ETL log from a DC tm, so my question being; what is the relationship between an ETL and TL? Coming from the DC we don't have the extra step between TMs and GLs (which is the ETL equivalent). When should you leverage your TL when should you not? How do you stay involved as much as possible with your team directly while making sure you don't overstep your TLs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
As a log, your general interaction will be signifigantly higher or lower depending on what volume store you are in, as this influences the amount of team leads you have.

The best way I found in a low volume store, is to have the etl lead truck, and the tl lead backroom and swap back and forth. You consistently have a leader in each area driving, and it brings a very good team mentality. It also gives you face time with the team. Occasionally you may need to set pogs or work price change, and that face time will go a long way to get additional bodies to help you.

In a high volume store, where you have multiple TLs, best thing to do is to just get in there and push or backstock. Set the pace and let your team leaders lead. Help them lead if they are weak but with the eventuality of them doing it 100% of the time. Support them, but don't hand hold.

The biggest thing in any volume as a log, is to performance manage your team. Teach your leaders how to coach and document, and make sure they are following up on poor Performance. Poor performance when let go will destroy your morale and productivity. You can't coach everyone yourself, so make sure your leads understand and execute the process, it's literally THE MOST IMPORTANT thing for having a good log process.

I think I'm in a fairly low volume store from what I'm told. It will be a 6am process if that means anything of volume. I think you gave some great advice. I'm a very understanding and easy going leader but I'm definitely a strong believer (especially when it comes to teams) that having people who are there to work is extremely important. I've worked with plenty of people who weren't there to work and it kills the team morale and creates a wedge wishing a team that only weakens it.

every store is different, and i'm just a tl.

i think the best relationship i've had is where the etl looks big picture and acts like a back stop to make sure things are always done. level set expectations and hold them accountable. teach/train to make sure that they are able to follow through. identify pitfalls of the work center/process and improve them.

then let the tl lead their team as they see fit.

I've had many ETLs that honestly were zero help at all but I now have an ETL that is really supportive and helps me when I need her help. For me I like to have a relationship where both the ETL and their TL view each other as partners so to speak since essentially they are both accountable for running their respective areas. I find more positive results with that type of relationship.

I treat my Team leader as an extension of me, I make them aware of our opportunities and our wins and suggest things they need to do to Adress them but ultimately leave it for them to decide as I want them to run their team not me, I support them 100% and also help them in what's necessary, I take their Feedback and ideas and implement because I trust them, it's been going really well, I'm very close to them, it also makes it easier to let them know if they are doing something wrong. It helps wonders when I push them to perform better, they know it's not that I'm picking on them but it's because I trust they can deliver better.

ETL replenishment - Manage 6 Flo Team Leaders and Presentation TL

Great suggestion guys! I'm really hoping I have an awesome TL like it sounds like some of you guys have!

I am not a TL yet, but I view my ETL-Log as a Big Brother to me and his TL's. It is the same type of relationship I would want if I was the superior. If you aren't moving up to speed he will let you know, but have your back if he knows the task is damn near impossible. The best part is he does not micromanage

My ETL and I are pretty close as well. We text each other when we need each other for certain things. I've helped her watch the lanes when her unreliable GSTLs call out, she's been in the office with me when I have to deliver a hard conversation with some of my TMs and she steps in if she feels I need the support and vice versa. All in all, like @ManageTalent mentioned ETLs and their TLs should view each other as extensions of each other. The business should be ran that way for real results to be delivered. Props to you @ManageTalent , I'm sure you're an awesome ETL.

I keep seeing gstl...what does that stand for exactly? And your comment actually brings up another question I had. At the DC our gls do reviews coaching firing hiring etc etc. How do Etls and TLs divey up theses tasks? It's almost like the TL is an extra step, I think it would be unfair to have your TL do the reviews themselves which I heard is common and of course as you mentioned having to deliver bad news, I like how you mentioned both ETL and TL do their parts where I've heard from other TLs usually handle this. I almost (silly enough) wonder what an Etls part is when it seems the TL has so many responsibilities? I want to make sure I leverage my TL and have someone to bounce ideas off. I fully plan to treat them as my partner and nothing less.

I also don't want to step on my TLs feet, but want to be involved with my team and their processes as much as possible.

GSTL: Guest Service Team Lead.
TL for the checklanes, service desk, cart attendants; basically front end.

Better to ask here & get an answer before you hit the floor.

Yes I agree. I remember coming to the DC and learning all the target lingo! The store has quite a bit more!!

TLs are supposed to coach and develop their TMs and that includes ensuring that they are trained, showing them new skills, recognizing them when they excel, providing constructive and meaningful feedback when there are performance gaps, as well as coaching and delivering corrective actions when needed. The TL is basically the liason between the TMs and upper management since we work day to day alongside our TMs, we are your best bet in identifying top performers and bottom performers so as a result, naturally we are the ones that write the TM reviews since we are around the TMs the most.

Awesome! Sounds like it's a good system! I know at the DC the gls leverage their trainers whenever they have questions Bc we usually are the ones who know ex. Top preformers, thanks for the explanation =)

In my store, the TL writes reviews and submits them to their ETL, who reads and comments on them before the TL completes the "final" version which is gone over with the team members. Any raises would ultimately be the ETL's call because they are the ones responsible for the budget. Because you're ultimately quite involved in the review process even though you might not actually deliver the reviews, it will be of benefit to you to get to know all your TM's. Besides, you'll work more hours than your TLs anyway, so you'll see things they don't. In some cases, particularly if you were working dayside, you'll see them far more than the TL. I know some nighttime sales floor TMs only see their TL every four weeks on their closing weekend because they don't happen to work on their leaders' closing weeknight. In that case, an ETL who does work with them one weeknight a week might have a larger amount of input into a review than a TL, and understandably so.

Some ETLs work better with their TL's than others; I know that in my part of the store, the ETL intentionally had opposite weekends with a couple of his TLs who run departments the STL considers super important, thus providing some level of knowledgable supervision every weekend. Probably the most contradictory messages people get in the store is not from ETLs and TLs in the same area but when ETLs from other areas throw their weight around during LOD shifts. That doesn't happen too often at my location, but when the LOD says something needs to happen...well, you just do it.

In my store, the TL writes reviews and submits them to their ETL, who reads and comments on them before the TL completes the "final" version which is gone over with the team members. Any raises would ultimately be the ETL's call because they are the ones responsible for the budget. Because you're ultimately quite involved in the review process even though you might not actually deliver the reviews, it will be of benefit to you to get to know all your TM's. Besides, you'll work more hours than your TLs anyway, so you'll see things they don't. In some cases, particularly if you were working dayside, you'll see them far more than the TL. I know some nighttime sales floor TMs only see their TL every four weeks on their closing weekend because they don't happen to work on their leaders' closing weeknight. In that case, an ETL who does work with them one weeknight a week might have a larger amount of input into a review than a TL, and understandably so.

Some ETLs work better with their TL's than others; I know that in my part of the store, the ETL intentionally had opposite weekends with a couple of his TLs who run departments the STL considers super important, thus providing some level of knowledgable supervision every weekend. Probably the most contradictory messages people get in the store is not from ETLs and TLs in the same area but when ETLs from other areas throw their weight around during LOD shifts. That doesn't happen too often at my location, but when the LOD says something needs to happen...well, you just do it.
I agree for the most part but in my work center, I can guarantee that my team is around me way more than my ETL ever is. If it was left up to her to write my TM reviews, it wouldn't be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back