Archived ETL black pants instead of kahkis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it true?!? Can Etls really wear black pants instead of kahkis? Is there a god lol, I am not a fan of kahkis and I begin business school Monday so today I plan to go stock up on kahkis. Of course I won't wear black pants right away but eventually is it acceptable to bend the rules a bit?

I wouldn't try it. The dress code says khakis suggested, because in California they can't require it without having to buy everyone khakis. So if you are a TM in CA, you could probably get away with it. As an ETL? Maybe, but I wouldn't push it. Where I was in Illinois, we were basically told, "this isn't California, don't even try it." And that was as a TM. I can't imagine someone higher up than that getting away with it and keeping their job for very long.

Last edited:
Pretty sure ETLs follow a strict dress code everywhere. But it's true in California team members can wear whatever solid colored pants they want. People wear purple, blue, or green pants with a red vest all the time. I love it.

What about Starbucks? We are required to wear either khakis or black pants and shoes, why is it a requirement for us but for the rest of Target, it's a "suggestion"? I'm in California.

I believe that's only for corporate tm's (DTL's, business partners, ect.) Ive never seen another ETL in black pants while at the store / not on visits.

What about Starbucks? We are required to wear either khakis or black pants and shoes, why is it a requirement for us but for the rest of Target, it's a "suggestion"? I'm in California.

I am pretty sure the black pants part is how they get away with it.
In California black is one of the accepted " court" colors.

In the handbook it says you can wear black pants.. Any TM.. But I've never seen someone do it

DO IT! STICK IT TO THE MAN! Show them that your attire doesn't impact your ability to be a kickass employee. If you ever decide to wear black pants, I would at the very least, wear nice slacks. Wearing some skinny jean nonsense, I would consider inappropriate since the idea is to have some sort of professional outfit.

I wear black pants all the time, though I'm only a TM. It's never been a serious issue, but that could be because I live in California. The only time it's brought up is when (ironically) a new ETL comes to the store, and decides to talk about the dress code. I once had an ETL ask me about getting khakis, while in my peripheral vision, there was a poster right behind her with visual examples of the dress code, one of them being black pants. It even says, "Khakis are preferred, but any solid color pant is acceptable."

You can wear black pants. I'm in California as well, and only one of our Starbucks TMs wears khaki. The rest wear all black.

Khakis are so unflattering! I think I'll def go the Levi route and dress them up with nice shoes and a nice blouse or scarf. I did get one pair of pleated nice slacks for visit occasions. I'll be ETL logistics so I'm trying for the comfy but professional look. I'll tell you khakis are extremely hard to find!!

I'm just a TM but I wear stretchy khaki colored skinny jeans as well. (I refuse to go the bootleg route. They drag the floor and can't be tucked into boots as easy.) Regular khakis also seem to stretch out a lot from all the kneeling I do when I wear them and seem to never have pockets on the butt. My very short ETL-GE wears skinny khakis as well, normally with a red blouse and flats. No one would get away with anything but khaki colored pants here.

During a visit before I left, our DTL made a point to point out that the uniform example in the store was wrong because of the khaki pants - khaki is preferred, but per policy, you are free to wear any color.

Now, that's not to say people won't try and make you drink more kool-aid until you realize red and khaki is only way to live!!

I'll tell you khakis are extremely hard to find!!

It's that time of year when stores start to clearance out khakis and they don't come back until around back to school time. I went to pick up my fave chinos a couple weeks ago and all the khakis were gone :(. Target still has khaki jeggings (they're a stretch denim, not that cottony legging with pocket type of jeggings) and your store might still have the skinny msc khaki.

It's that time of year when stores start to clearance out khakis and they don't come back until around back to school time. I went to pick up my fave chinos a couple weeks ago and all the khakis were gone :(. Target still has khaki jeggings (they're a stretch denim, not that cottony legging with pocket type of jeggings) and your store might still have the skinny msc khaki.
Kohls. Their sonoma brand is great. Also dockers and lee. Always a sale.

In Ca only the tm's wear Black pants .... but evry body wears red striped tops, red plaid tops, red paisly tops... even the sr tl and etl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back