Archived ETL handing a TM their keys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. Title.

I needed to get out to one of our trailers as the Front End was in desperate need of bags. All of my ETL's on today were busy pushing in P-Fresh, so one of them literally handed me their store keys.

I immediately questioned if they should have done that, and the response was "I trust you not to lose them."

Now, nothing went missing. The keys were immediately returned once I re-entered the building... but I just want to check if there's any reason I should have to worry about this. Will I be held accountable for being handed keys that I had no business holding? Or, if anything comes of it, will the ETL in particular be held accountable?

You should be fine, you didn't borrow the keys from their desk while they weren't looking or anything like that. I don't think anybody would care unless they're really searching for a reason to write or the ETL up. Even then, it'd be a bit of a stretch.

They trusted you and you weren't holding them long.
The ETL-LOG would give me his key to the compactor which is considered a major security issue but he trusted me.
Could that have backfired horribly?
Maybe, but I would never let it happen.

I would never give my store key to anyone. My baler or wave key I do let certain TM's borrow because they can check out their own but never my store key. I am pretty sure your ETL can get written up for that but I doubt you can.

I think I've only ever handed off my keys to the PMT to open up a door so I could get the alarm panel (when I was the only key carrier in the store).

I would never and have never handed my keys off to a TM. I've had my own TMs ask to borrow my keys and I always tell them I can't do that. I will let the trustworthy ones borrow the wave/baler key (but those are seperate on my key chain).

My ETL gives me her keys if she needs me to do something and my Sr. TL would lend me his on occasion when I was in LOG. They just give me the whole carabiner and trust me not to do anything dumb with them.

So. Title.

I needed to get out to one of our trailers as the Front End was in desperate need of bags. All of my ETL's on today were busy pushing in P-Fresh, so one of them literally handed me their store keys.

I immediately questioned if they should have done that, and the response was "I trust you not to lose them."

Now, nothing went missing. The keys were immediately returned once I re-entered the building... but I just want to check if there's any reason I should have to worry about this. Will I be held accountable for being handed keys that I had no business holding? Or, if anything comes of it, will the ETL in particular be held accountable?

If anything had happened, I'd have looked for a giant bus getting ready to run over you! The ETL would have definitely thrown you under it.

Yes, it has been several years, but when I was an ETL it was an automatic Final if you were caught giving store keys to ANYBODY - including TLs, or even other ETLs.

It's one of those "Ask (more like BEG) for forgiveness, not permission" scenarios.

Technically against policy, but typically the hammer only comes down if the keys actually go missing. Depends on how strict your ETL-AP or STL are. Losing a store key sucks (and is still automatic Final I believe) because EVERYTHING has to be recored.

Yes, it has been several years, but when I was an ETL it was an automatic Final if you were caught giving store keys to ANYBODY - including TLs, or even other ETLs.

That might be official policy, but really depends "caught by who". If our DTL saw an ETL give me their keys, they'd probably be screwed. If our STL saw an ETL do it she'd probably tell them to not do that. If anyone else in the store saw them give me their keys they'd look the other way.

Not keys exactly, but our ETL-HR for example used to hate responding to walkie calls while in the bathroom and didn't want to turn her walkie off and ignore it, so she'd always give me her AP walkie when she went into the bathroom. Out of all ETL positions it should be HR or AP that'd be the most strict regarding such policies, so if she'd give her walkie to a TM I can't imagine her writing up an ETL for giving a TM their keys unless she was forced to (ie. the TM lost the keys).

It's against policy for non key carriers to be in possession of master keys to the store. Major security issue.

If the key goes missing it's automatic final warning. I would bet if the keys went missing because the LOD handed them off to a TM it would be a instant fire.

Oh yea. Recoring the entire store is a pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back